Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension query

Options
  • 13-09-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has extended their house doing a few viewing on houses at the moment and saw one that has potential to extend. Basically looking at extending from the kitchen/dining room out and building a utility room/back wc area. There is a lot of decking so would be knocking the french doors and taking away half the decking. It would still leave the house with a nice size garden and the rest of the decking.
    Would need a rough estimate of extension, just to a builders finish, (that would be plastered wired, plumbed, flooring) and putting back the french doors and maybe a velux window in the roof. Newbie to this so need a rough estimate, as this figure would factor into what we offer for the house (or a house in future). Any recommendations of a genuine reliable builder in North Dublin would be a help too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

A not too unreasonable figure would be €30-35,000 for a typical single storey, straight forward extension of say 20m² for the Kitchen/dining and 10m² for the WC +Utility, built to a decent specification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Thanks for that I had it in my head a cheap quote of 20k but figured that would be a bit low. Once I have a figure to go by it makes it easier to sort out what we can/can't spend on a a house and if it is worthwhile. I looked at a few houses with no scope for extending usually older houses with a tight back garden/courtyard sort of job, nice to have the ability to be able to extend if we need to in the future

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kieran. wrote: »
    A not too unreasonable figure would be €30-35,000 for a typical single storey, straight forward extension of say 20m² for the Kitchen/dining and 10m² for the WC +Utility, built to a decent specification.
    30-35k for 30m2 is price in Monaghan or Dublin? did it include kitchen, fixtures and fittings? was there much glass? how was access?

Knowing my luck that is probably quote for country Dublin is probably dearer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

For a builders finish in Dublin to include the new build, windows all eclectic's, plastering, roof windows and a cert at the end would have no prob around 20 to 25k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

assume estimates here are for building on rooms as opposed to opening up the back of the house into an open plan area? that would have an additional cost of supporting the walls?

Hi how much extra would we be looking at? There are a lot of the houses we're looking at that are old types, big bedrooms but tiny galley style kitchens so would have to knock down wall expand out back garden

If the job is under way not a lot, steel 700 euro and the knockout 1,500 to 2,000 getting the cert either way so no extra for that

BryanF wrote: »
    30-35k for 30m2 is price in Monaghan or Dublin? did it include kitchen, fixtures and fittings? was there much glass? how was access?

30-35k for 30m2 extension would include :-
    • Approx 3.5K for kitchen. (assuming re use of existing Applicances, if not add 2k)
    • 1k for utility
    • Standard pendant light fittings, standard white sockets/switches
    • Basic 4 piece set to WC,
    • Double Glazed MJ uPVC windows (3-4 standard size window opes) + 1 set Double doors.
    • Extension fabric Insulated to 2011 Part L Regs.
    • Painting.
    • 2nd fix joinery.
    • Extensions to Electric's & Plumbing.

Excludes floor finsihes ie Carpet/Tiles Etc..

Regarding if the price is for Dublin or Monaghan, the OP states the job is north Dublin so my "rough estimate", relates to the OP location.

30-35k for 30m2 extension would include :-
    • Approx 3.5K for kitchen. (assuming re use of existing Applicances, if not add 2k)
    • 1k for utility
    • Standard pendant light fittings, standard white sockets/switches
    • Basic 4 piece set to WC,
    • Double Glazed MJ uPVC windows (3-4 standard size window opes) + 1 set Double doors.
    • Extension fabric Insulated to 2011 Part L Regs.
    • Painting.
    • 2nd fix joinery.
    • Extensions to Electric's & Plumbing.

Excludes floor finsihes ie Carpet/Tiles Etc..

Regarding if the price is for Dublin or Monaghan, the OP states the job is north Dublin so my "rough estimate", relates to the OP location.

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 SJAshe

Hi I know a builder from the north Dublin area with over 35 years in the industry if you want details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Would you be that builder ??

650gs wrote: »
    Wow

care to expand on your "WOW" comment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bongo8

care to expand on your "WOW" comment ?

I wouldn't mind finding out the answer to this also!

About to extend a house I just bought. 40m2.single story. Open plan.

Going to be going direct labor.

Anybody any idea how long it's going to take to get the structure up and weather proofed? Also how much this should cost? Won't have plumbing or electrics done at this point. So it'll be pretty much block work, concrete floor, doors and roof.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rmckeown

please pm me with any builders you would recommend, need extention done in Dublin South, looking for prices, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Give or take it will cost around 1000euro/m2 finished job.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

I do build extensions, but only a high quality to meet latest building regulations and energy conservation rules.
    No cheep sheds where wind is blowing and mold is living.
    Only a proper built insulated, vapor barrier etc.
    If You build cheep You will have to upgrade it soon and spend more on that + Your energy bills.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I do build extensions, but only a high quality to meet latest building regulations and energy conservation rules.
    No cheep sheds where wind is blowing and mold is living.
    Only a proper built insulated, vapor barrier etc.
    If You build cheep You will have to upgrade it soon and spend more on that + Your energy bills.

The forum shall not be used by anyone for the purpose of personal gain by advertising their services directly/indirectly or referring to same in their posts. This is your only warning.

Advertisement