Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prune Hornbeam

• 13-09-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

hi ive 2ft horn beam hedge when should i prune it, or should i leave it till next year till its better established

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bazmc35 wrote: »
    hi ive 2ft horn beam hedge when should i prune it, or should i leave it till next year till its better established

If planted in bareroot form.......Should be pruned back the minute they are planted...to allow them to establish and settle in to grow the following season.

Also give thrm a regular watering.

We usually prune back out around late July/early August of each year.

We planted ours 3 years ago in bareroot form and the hedge is now at 5 feet tall and nice and full too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

bazmc35 wrote: »
    when did u plant it and what are the site conditions, now would not be the best time to prune as the plant is preparing for dormancy. Mid winter would be best for a careful trim with such small plants (and trees generally) or as paddy says wait till next mid-summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

i planted them in March this year and they were about a foot high, bareroot and i didnt prune them back, ive no idea what the soil is like. was thinking of adding some colour to the hedge such as red and white hawthorn what do ye think??[IMG][/img]IMG_0076_zps0cce35b6.jpg
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0075_zps3fd6ebf8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I read somewhere that hornbeam shouldn't be pruned back when planted and should only be done once it reaches the required hedge height. Mine is planted 3 years now in a double staggered row and I just pruned and topped it this year for the first time.... can't walk through the hedge now because it is so thick. One job I've had to do is to stake some of them as they were pushed over in the wind and grew crooked....
    If I were you I'd leave it and make sure you spray the grass earlier in the year before it gets a chance to grow up, otherwise your hedge won't grow right down to the ground because of the grass. A bit of well rotted manure would be no harm...

Advertisement