Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Store Dublin - Product availability

• 13-09-2013 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭

Google have opened a store in their Dublin office but still don't sell hardware to us poor Irish folk
    Will we ever see all the trappings of what Google offers?

I for one would like to see
    • Goolgle Voice
    • Hardware
    • Movies & TV
    • Proper Wallet integration
    • access to Motorola stuff

Google have a long list of products - anyone have experience of using some of the less well know ones listed here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Absolute farce that they sell products out of Ireland for tax reasons and don't sell to that same market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My understanding is it is not a true Google Store (similar to an Apple store or similar retail outlet).
    I believe it only sells Google corporate items/gifts and is aimed at staff/visitors.
    Similar items to http://www.googlestore.com/

(Believe this is the policy in all Google campus sites).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

My understanding is it is not a true Google Store (similar to an Apple store or similar retail outlet).
    I believe it only sells Google corporate items/gifts and is aimed at staff/visitors.
    Similar items to http://www.googlestore.com/

(Believe this is the policy in all Google campus sites).

That would be correct

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kitnan

I imagine a Google Retail store would be pretty awesome...have any of you heard what going to work at Google is like?

Apparently they have a gym, cafes, restaurants and accommodation close by (all included for working with them)...suppose the only thing is that they own you when they give you all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What is the deal with Google refusing to sell any hardware here?

It's absolutely ridiculous when they sell it in the UK. I mean, from a technical specs point of view, Ireland's power cables and mobile networks are the exact same specs as the UK and our mobile nets are exactly the same as anywhere else in Europe.

It's completely stupid not to just extend the UK store infrastructure to cover Ireland.

I mean, say what you like about Apple, but they do support the Irish market very well. OK, they don't have any Apple stores in the Republic, but they do have excellent online store, product support, updates etc and seem to get products to market here much faster than most of the other suppliers (including Nokia) tend to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

SpaceTime wrote: »
    What is the deal with Google refusing to sell any hardware here?

It's absolutely ridiculous when they sell it in the UK. I mean, from a technical specs point of view, Ireland's power cables and mobile networks are the exact same specs as the UK and our mobile nets are exactly the same as anywhere else in Europe.

It's completely stupid not to just extend the UK store infrastructure to cover Ireland.

I mean, say what you like about Apple, but they do support the Irish market very well. OK, they don't have any Apple stores in the Republic, but they do have excellent online store, product support, updates etc and seem to get products to market here much faster than most of the other suppliers (including Nokia) tend to.

Google sell at cost or below price when it comes to their hardware and make it back on services, Apple don't (Sell at cost or below price). Irish people don't spend enough on their services yet to make it worthwhile selling loss making hardware here.

Google sell at cost or below price when it comes to their hardware and make it back on services, Apple don't (Sell at cost or below price). Irish people don't spend enough on their services yet to make it worthwhile selling loss making hardware here.

That still doesn't really make sense if they're trying to expand their European foothold. There's no extra cost in them including Ireland in the UK store system really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Irish people don't spend enough because we don't have the full range of services and the ones we have took ages to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Comparing Google and Apple's retail sectors is nonsensical. Apple have a huge retail department with a full supply chain and decades of experience. Google's retail department is practically non-existent and sells partner-manufactured products

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That still doesn't really make sense if they're trying to expand their European foothold. There's no extra cost in them including Ireland in the UK store system really.

Its copyright issues as to why they can't shift Nexuses from our Play Store - unfortunately our copyright laws are old and archaic, and have to be reformed before Google can do so, it's red tape to do with getting movies/TV episodes for sale digitally over here... (think Comreg play a part)

Getting the Music service off the ground shows that they are serious about eventually offering full play store access...

I think its slightly different in Netflix' case as its offering a stream service, where Google will offer the DL straight to your device....

• Advertisement

ComReg have nothing to do with copyright issues. All they do is regulate the telecommunications market, much like the FCC in the US.

Music/Motion picture copyright agreements would be largely down to the industry groups like PPI and similar body for Motion Pictures. Can't remember the name of it off hand.

I still don't see how it would impact the hardware though.

ComReg have nothing to do with copyright issues. All they do is regulate the telecommunications market, much like the FCC in the US.

Music/Motion picture copyright agreements would be largely down to the industry groups like PPI and similar body for Motion Pictures. Can't remember the name of it off hand.

I still don't see how it would impact the hardware though.
    They can't sell movies here. They make their money on movies. It would (financially-speaking) be a bad idea to invest in selling below-cost hardware here

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

nedd wrote: »
    Irish people don't spend enough because we don't have the full range of services and the ones we have took ages to arrive.

Of course, we're a tiny market so we're not going to be high on the priority list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Of course, we're a tiny market so we're not going to be high on the priority list.

Well since they take advantage of our tax laws the least they could do is suppy us with their devices. Can't understand how the nexus 7 is available but the nexus 10 is not.

Come on Google, must work harder.

Well since they take advantage of our tax laws the least they could do is suppy us with their devices. Can't understand how the nexus 7 is available but the nexus 10 is not.

They're still a company in the business of making money, they aren't going to do it as a favour ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Italy recently got devices added to their market. Well the new nexus 7. But there was a way to get the others. Hoping we get them soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This is what I can't fathom - all well and good taking advantage of their little tax haven here, but refuse to sell us Nexus line and phones, I really wish they did - might give the networks a kick up the ar$e to discount handset prices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Fieldog wrote: »
    This is what I can't fathom - all well and good taking advantage of their little tax haven here, but refuse to sell us Nexus line and phones, I really wish they did - might give the networks a kick up the ar$e to discount handset prices...
    In fairness to the networks, they do offer a decent discount. Sometimes there is very little between taking the contract and buying it outright paying say €20 a month on PAYG.

Nolimits wrote: »
    In fairness to the networks, they do offer a decent discount. Sometimes there is very little between taking the contract and buying it outright paying say €20 a month on PAYG.

Yeah it's true, there's WAY WAY better value out there now than even a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

According to this site...
    However, the Nexus 4 is designed to use Google Play to download books, movies, music, apps and games for full effect but Google only has the rights to do that in some countries and Ireland isn’t one them.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/google%E2%80%99s-nexus-4-launched-not-ireland-671741-Nov2012/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

But the same could be said about the nexus 7 and that's available.

But the same could be said about the nexus 7 and that's available.
    Through PC World, not through the Play store. PC World took the decision to sell it here, not Google

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kitnan

Best head to the eBay folks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thats old... They now have music and bookstore available here.

The lack of device is a farce at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I really wish we got devices... People who buy devices from the UK store get it shipped from Dublin! How they can't start selling to Ireland is beyond me.

It's pretty inexplicable to be honest.
    I don't buy the copyright argument as everything other than movies is available here and I'm sure once rights are negotiated they'll launch here.

Netflix launched here without any fuss as did Spotify.

We were one of the first places outside of the US with Netflix.

From a marketing point of view Ireland and New Zealand are actually regularly used to get products. They are both small, self contained, English speaking, western culture markets ideal for testing something before a wider launch in the bigger markets.

Consumer product companies regularly try things out here before the UK gets them.

Google probably just couldn't be bothered.

Advertisement