Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Pc keeps running updates

Options
  • 13-09-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had this problem lately....my Windows XP keeps telling me Updates are ready to be installed and I install them and it says insatallation was successful but then it keeps doing it over and over again, the same way.
    The updates are-Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760588)
    and Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760411)
    I dont have a clue whats going on-can anyone help or tell me what to do about it?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I'd say they installed imperfectly. The simplest thing might be to restore your system to a time prior to the updates and let the OS run them again, clean

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

It's a known problem with those Microsoft updates. Alot of people are having the same problem

Apparently Microsoft are working on a fix.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/repeatedly-offered-three-office-2007-updates/6b92747e-ee00-4e9b-81ce-09216b4b9534

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Cheers folks-thanks for the repies....I will do System restore and if that dont work I will wait for the fix...

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Seems a bit excessive to do a system restore. Surely its a simple enough fix for Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I posted a thread with the exact same problem here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057038945

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

muincav wrote: »
    Cheers folks-thanks for the repies....I will do System restore and if that dont work I will wait for the fix...

Do not do a sytem restore. Just wait for MS to fix the problem and they will eventually disappear off the list of available updates.

I had the same problem, I manualy uninstalled them, waited a day assuming they would fix the problem and then reinstalled them yesterday but they're still coming up as 'available to install' so I'm just going to do nothing at this stage.

As per one of the MS links above, go into the Windows update screen, right-click each of the updates that are already installed and select 'Hide Update', that will make them disappear so that the next time you check for updates, none of those three will be offerred.

Rigsby wrote: »
    I posted a thread with the exact same problem here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057038945

Per the OP, the poster above and myself, this same problem is happening on XP, Vista and 7.

coylemj wrote: »
    Per the OP, the poster above and myself, this same problem is happening on XP, Vista and 7.

Thanks for that, but I'm still a bit puzzled. When I go into "check installed updates" the ones in question dont appear. However, when I go into "update history" they appear many times. :confused:

Rigsby wrote: »
    Thanks for that, but I'm still a bit puzzled. When I go into "check installed updates" the ones in question dont appear. However, when I go into "update history" they appear many times. :confused:

I think they will stay in the update history list even if you uninstall them since that is a log of what you installed rather than a list of what's actually still installed.

I think they will stay in the update history list even if you uninstall them since that is a log of what you installed rather than a list of what's actually still installed.

Thanks again for your input. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hello There, I'm Elder Wompa and I'd like to talk to you about End of Life.

Seriously though, just a heads up. XP is End of Life, Microsoft is pulling the plug on it April, 2014. You will not get any further updates after that date so you won't be getting security patches. Have you considered upgrading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Wompa1 wrote: »

Seriously though, just a heads up. XP is End of Life, Microsoft is pulling the plug on it April, 2014. You will not get any further updates after that date so you won't be getting security patches. Have you considered upgrading?
    ......to Linux. perhaps?:D
    Quick....let me out of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Wompa1 wrote: »

Yep, in the long run we're all dead. Maybe it's time to address this sad fact of life. :D

Folks, at the risk of backseat modding - any chance we can keep this open just on the issue of these three fixes? I know XP is going out of support but that's a different issue, the matter of those three fixes continuously coming up on the list of available updates is what motivated the OP to open this thread but it affects more than just XP users.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

It seems to be all operating systems from XP upwards so its about time Microsoft sorted out because a lot of people (like me) were panicking when the updates kept happening, but thanks to all on this forum for putting our minds at ease...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Folks, at the risk of backseat modding - any chance we can keep this open just on the issue of these three fixes? I know XP is going out of support but that's a different issue, the matter of those three fixes continuously coming up on the list of available updates is what motivated the OP to open this thread but it affects more than just XP users.

I think there's been some valid responses. Personally I would go in and clear out the updates which are noticed that keep re-occuring. Then Check for updates again and see if they stick this time. If they don't, Look up the KB articles for those fixes and see if there's any issues. Is it possible these have been failing for so long that they have been superceeded? Has the OP attempted to download the MSU files manually and install them that way?

Advertisement