Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AvantCard increasing interest rate - can they do this?

• 13-09-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭

I got a letter from avant card/MBNA about their new interest rates.

Their rate will nearly double from the 9.9% I have been using for the last 10 years to 17.9%, can they force such a significant jump?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, they can. Once they've provided notice of the change you can accept, or close your account/move elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I got that letter as well. They can do it. Its perfectly legal. They do point out if you do not accept the change, you can pay your card off and close the account :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

A lot of credit cards offer 0% interest for the first 6 months, might be worth switching your balance.

Compare here:

http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CreditCard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Got the same letter.

AIB's Click Visa card seems to have the lowest APR at present at 13.6%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Thankfully I only use the card on holidays and it's cleared immediately, but it's those who have it max'ed out and are financially struggling I feel sorry for as this increase could be an extra €50-100 extra a month !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

mullingar wrote: »
    Thankfully I only use the card on holidays and it's cleared immediately, but it's those who have it max'ed out and are financially struggling I feel sorry for as this increase could be an extra €50-100 extra a month !

That is always a risk when using a credit card as a medium / long term form of debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I love what Warren Buffet says about credit cards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBDmlgcdLMM

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I got a letter from them today, mine is changed from 14.9% to 18.9%. I really am trying so hard to pay off my card so I can close it. I have got it down a lot, but its hard and as soon as its cleared I am gone. So sick of AvantCard now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anydroid

Also received a letter notifying me of a rate hike from 10.9 to 17.9% on a ten year old Platinum card, with c. 3k balance. Fortunately I can now clear this card and would have done so even in the absence of this hike.

However... I won't go quietly.

I'll ring tomorrow and threaten to clear the balance unless they hold my 10.9% rate. It'll be interesting to see if they want to keep their existing revenue from my account (say 27 x12 = 324) or prefer to let me walk. Looking back on my account history (if they bother) would indicate good revenue yield (too many years as a student!) and an A1 repayment history... surely the type of profile any CC provider would like to retain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I rang them earlier saying that I want to put on €5-6k on the card towards buying a car (complete BS;)) but on the 9.9% rate and that there was no way that I would put that money onto the card @ 17.9% and that I would be better off with a bank loan or a competitors cheaper/interest free option.

I went on to say that I was not happy with the rate near doubling and also asked why are they willing to lose my business. The "agent" said that there was no way she could change the rate so I asked it to be escalated.

A so called "Manager" called me back and I asked the same question and she also could do nothing about the rate. I then asked her then what is the point of me keeping open my account if you can do nothing for me as there are many cards still available to me at around 10%* as you can see that I have an excellent credit history with yourselves.....Silence.... I asked it to be escalated again, so lets see if a proper manager calls back.

*Chancing my arm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Keep us posted on any progress, but I personally think, Avantcard are now looking to recouperate the money they paid MBNA and now we see the result. More charges and fees.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anydroid

Had a very unusual call with Avant CS. Nice lady on the other end was quite despondent about Avant practices (as despondent as you can be when you're being recorded...) claiming the rate hike was being applied across the board, including staff cards, with no exceptions.

I cleared the balance and they made no attempt to keep my business.

Did someone say vulture fund? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭sk8board

I got a letter today that the rates are going up from 18.9 to 20.9% in the next few weeks.
    Hilarious! At least they are being open about shafting their 'customers'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Payments At The Post Office Or By Postal Cheque

From 28 May 2014, all payments to your account made over the counter at the post office or via postal cheque will incur a processing fee of €0.83 and €1.15 respectively. These fees are being introduced to offset fees incurred by AvantCard and are a change to the terms and conditions governing your credit card account. No interest will be charged on these processing fees.
    Credit Card Cheques

From 25 June 2014 we will no longer process payment of any credit card cheques previously issued to you. Cheques presented on or after 25 June 2014 will be returned with the reason 'Account Closed' or another indication that the cheque cannot be paid. Please note, this may result in additional fees for presenting an invalid cheque for payment.

What you need to do

Stop using credit card cheques before this date
    Destroy any remaining cheques in your possession
    If you have written credit card cheques which have not yet been cashed, please contact the payee and advise them to cash the cheque before the date above or pay them using alternative means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

sk8board wrote: »
    I got a letter today that the rates are going up from 18.9 to 20.9% in the next few weeks.
    Hilarious! At least they are being open about shafting their 'customers'

Cripes!!!!

Are you on the Standard, Gold or Platinum card?

I tried to lodge a few quid from MBNA/Avant Card into a certain online betting shop this week and the card was blocked.

Have this account set up with the same card for a number of years.

Rang them up to be told that they are blocking most betting transactions on their cards now too.

They really are doing their best to downsize their customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I got a letter today saying they are raising rates from 14.9% to 22.9% a hike of 50% wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

I received a letter today from AvantCard informing me that my rate is increasing from 10.9% to 18.9% in 2 months time. I was already very unhappy with the changeover from MBNA to AvantCard - the service is poor, everything about Avant Card seems to be crappy - I will now be changing credit card company as this is just a bridge too far.

yes service is appaling, the old system had a nice email feature once you were logged in you could mail customer service and they would respond quite quickly. I wouldn't even bother calling them now, be waiting all day.

Unfortunately moving may not be an option for many with large balances. I recently applied for a new card and balance transfer to permanenttsb and was told i didn't earn enough! I earn a good wage i would have thought and we re not in negative equity. They couldn't consider my wifes earnings even though I would be getting a second card for her, she earns as much as me though they would only consider the household debts as all mine!
    Felt like saying I would have a lot more disposable income if it wasn't for having to pay the debts of banks and the like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

yes service is appaling, the old system had a nice email feature once you were logged in you could mail customer service and they would respond quite quickly. I wouldn't even bother calling them now, be waiting all day.

Unfortunately moving may not be an option for many with large balances. I recently applied for a new card and balance transfer to permanenttsb and was told i didn't earn enough! I earn a good wage i would have thought and we re not in negative equity. They couldn't consider my wifes earnings even though I would be getting a second card for her, she earns as much as me though they would only consider the household debts as all mine!
    Felt like saying I would have a lot more disposable income if it wasn't for having to pay the debts of banks and the like.

I tried to apply for other cards so I could leave AvantCard due to their appalling service & high rates. I was declined from everyone I tried. I then chanced topping up my existing loan for the amount I owed on the card and I was approved!! So I cancelled my card and am paying off the loan at a much lower rate than the card! Plus having no credit card is a lot better for me, its making me a lot more disciplined at my spending and controlling my debts!

yeah will deffo be clearing this one way or another before the 2 months ultimatum. We both have a few bob in bonuses coming this month, so should cover most of what we need if the tax man leaves us any that is. Good riddance to avant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Got a similar letter today. Except my rate is going from 18.9% to 24.9%. Only a few years ago it was 13.9%. Furious about this.

is there anything we can do? I presume it's in the t&cs somewhere to allow them get away with this usury but this stinks like something a pay day loan crowd would do? Maybe I will ask Wonga or someone for a loan to clear the avant card- probably work out cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Some people appear to have received notification 6 months ago of interest increases - I wonder, could the timing of the increase for me have anything to do with me recently paying off the full 7.5k owed on my card for more than a year in one go? It would appear from others comments that my rate of 10.9% was pretty good, which really surprises me.

Do they only want to have customers that clear down their balances every month and pay no interest! why would you alienate all your paying customer base with such an exorbitant hike, marks a pull out of Ireland by El Cid & co methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Do they only want to have customers that clear down their balances every month and pay no interest! why would you alienate all your paying customer base with such an exorbitant hike, marks a pull out of Ireland by El Cid & co methinks!

I would have thought that they make no money off these customers.

kkontour wrote: »
    I would have thought that they make no money off these customers.
    Exactly, as opposed to their paying customer base

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Exactly, as opposed to their paying customer base

Ah,
    after re reading your post I see that was your point!
    :o
    K

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I got a letter today saying they are raising rates from 14.9% to 22.9% a hike of 50% wtf?

I got the same letter. I owe €9,400 euros on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Got a similar letter today. Except my rate is going from 18.9% to 24.9%. Only a few years ago it was 13.9%. Furious about this.

Mine has been 24.9% months & months. I rang up complaining and all she said was....there's higher interest rates than yours.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Has anyone had any look switching to another Card?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement