Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and Neighbours

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Op you should have talked to your neighbour in the first place and apologised. Also just because you live in the country doesn't mean you have the right to let you dogs make noise and disturb your neighbours. Lastly stop throwing around accusations you don't know if it was him there are infinite sources of rat poison. If I got a visit from the guards every time I threatened a dog when I was having a bad day they would be coming nearly monthly to everyone who said call the guards and what happened to knowing your neighbours and talking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Op you should have talked to your neighbour in the first place and apologised.
    For what exactly? He hasn't complained to the OP's parents, and has only so far roared abuse at the dogs, roared threats at the dog, and now may get a talking to by the local plod regarding his threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭abbyw1989

I wonder if people would be so berating to the OP if it was his/her's kids instead of dogs? Threatening to slit a creature's throat for making noise is NOT okay, it's NOT normal. Regardless of if it's a dog, cat or person, who thinks that is normal behaviour??? Yes everyone has the right to peace and quiet... but come on, knock on the door and ask them to keep the dogs quiet, don't threaten to KILL them.
    OP, I would make sure to record every threat, keep your dogs safe and take all evidence to the guards immediately. If your parents know the owners of the house, ask them to intervene if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

OP didn't answer the question when it was asked if these indoor dogs being let out at 7 am every morning was maybe the problem, I find it hard to believe they would be completely silent when they're let out to do their business every morning for the first time.

Tbh it sounds like they're barking all day long, constant noise pollution can make people crazy even if the owner doesn't notice it, whether its music, DIY, barking whatever. I came home from work one day in Galway and the Guards were outside 2 houses in our estate because 2 neighbors had gotten physical over one constantly mowing his lawn and disturbing the peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thargor wrote: »
    Tbh it sounds like they're barking all day long
    fend wrote: »
    My father starts work from the house at around 7am Monday-Friday so dogs are let out in the mornings to do their business etc. The dogs are generally indoor dogs and are really only outside just to make their business.
    Sounds like they're not out all day. Sounds like the neighbour is, however, blaming the dogs for any and all dog barking. Which in a country is usually quite a bit, as a lot of farmers leave their dogs in barns and sheds, as opposed to in their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

It sounds like it all stems from the parents non neighbourly attitude.

"they have a right to allow their dogs to bark as much as they want."

This is an OK attitude to have if you live in a field in the middle of nowhere. But if you have neighbours you need to be considerate of them. The chances are for the last few months that your neighbour has been woken every morning by dogs barking and is fed up with it (Although poisoning isn't the answer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I dont think any amount of pointing the finger at the OP or OP's parents can justify threatening extreme violence, shouting abuse and poisoning (I reserve the right to be wrong and accept that the poison fell out of a cargo plane).

btw I'm not a fan of people who leave their pets out all day to patrol (and live near some of these). Dogs are sociable creatures and if they are barking incessantly there is something wrong... but seriously, whats wrong with actually talking to the neighbours first??This guy sounds like he has major anger issues. Hate to see what he'd do if someone accidentally parked across his gate or had their music playing too loud :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Im very sorry to hear about your pet.

I live with a barking dog behind me & let me say there is a big difference between being driven berserk by a non stop braking dog hat starts at 07:20 am, and killing a dog. Even if you hate it.

One day literally as I say on the " patio" a half a mouldy baguette LITERALLY fell from the sky. I looked up & it was a big mangy crow that had just flown over & dropped it. If I hadn't seen it myself I would have sworn someone threw it in. birds scavenge & can pick up tasty meat or carrion to bring back to their nests & drop it by accident. No reason why his couldn't have happened in his sad case. Or a diseased rabbit snack , mouse etc. it may not have been your neighbour.

How is your dog doing?

Advertisement