Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quailifications needed for fetac tutoring.

Options
  • 13-09-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has any information about how to become a fetac tutor. I am currently working as a staff nurse and I would like to become a tutor in healthcare ie teaching healthcare assistants. I have done some research into the area but nobody can tell me if I need to do a special course to teach healthcare. If anybody has any information regarding this it would be great or if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    Thank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

If you want to teach in a plc college, you need to be registered with the Teaching Council. This means having a degree (which I assume you do, being a staff nurse) and a teaching qualification, specifically in further education. As I have been teaching since well before the teacher council was dreamt of, I'm afraid I'm not sure of the details so I couldn't tell you which colleges offer this new course, but I think it has been extended to a two years, in line with the qualification needed to be a 2nd level teacher.

I wouldn't know what is required to be a tutor, in a non-further education setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mard89

Thanks for the information Nadser. Some people I had talked to said I would just need to complete a train the trainer level 6 course but I some how tink I will need a teaching qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Donegaljack

Hi Mard89,

Try the link, this may be just what you need!

http://www.nuigalway.ie/open_learning_centre/professional_diploma.html

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

Mard89 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information Nadser. Some people I had talked to said I would just need to complete a train the trainer level 6 course but I some how tink I will need a teaching qualification.
    That was the case, not anymore. FETAC comes under Section 5 of the Teaching Council Act. Section 4 is for secondary teachers. Section 5 for adult and further ed etc. To be paid from November 2013 you must be registered with the Teaching Council. So look up their requirements for section 5. www.teaching council.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

Does anyone have any info on how you register with FETAC to deliver an existing course such as Level 6 Agriculture?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

You don't register with FETAC, the school or company usually registers with FETAC to provide a course. Unless you want to set up an individual business in order and be accredited by FETAC.

You don't register with FETAC, the school or company usually registers with FETAC to provide a course. Unless you want to set up an individual business in order and be accredited by FETAC.

Well yes, I represent a school. How would a school register with FETAC? :P

http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/homepage.htm

The process in described in the certification info of their web page. They usually have information meetings twice a year. Very helpful people should you wish to email them.

http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/homepage.htm

The process in described in the certification info of their web page. They usually have information meetings twice a year. Very helpful people should you wish to email them.

Thanks. Gave them a call this morning. Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Las30

Hello I am looking to be a childcare/Special needs tutor for a plc or fetac course. Can someone tell me the qualification I would need I have B.A. degree in Early Childhood Studies. I have been told the train the trainer is no longer available

• Advertisement

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/study-maynooth/undergraduate-studies/courses/certificate-training-and-continuing-education

This one is still available. It's a level 7 , whereas the train the trainer was level 6.

I think the following one would be more suitable though for your target teaching age group . This would be more recognised for teaching in ETBs and being recognised by the teaching council.
    https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/study-maynooth/postgraduate-studies/courses/higher-diploma-further-education

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Triona00

Hi,

Does anyone know to teach evening courses in fetac level 5 do you need a teaching course completed or will a degree be ok.
    Also does anyone know how much evening tutors earn?

Advertisement