Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Regulator?

• 13-09-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Back again haha.

Story is my bike has been refusing to start the last couple of mornings.

I could go out and she would try and start but wouldn't and would eventually stop. If I try again the display starts going on and off and finally nothing happens, no noises or nothing.

Funny thing is when I pust start it she start up fine again, and when I turn it off straight after the push start she will start pefectlly on the button again.

This seems to happen on cold morning or when it rains but most times she will start fine just when im not expecting it.

I don't think it's the battery because everything works and like I said if I push it and stop it and try button start it again it will start pefectlly.

I'm really confused at this point but I think it's the reg/rec.

Also when idle-ing she will start to idle low all of a sudden when no throttle and she will die. This doesn't happen when I go for a spin only when I start her no matter how much choke I give it, it seems to stutter when no throttle is applied.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The problem may be a weak battery.
    The idle speed may be a different problem.
    What type of bike is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

A Hyosung GT125,

I thought it was a weak battery as well but when she does start, she does it without hesitation.

The idle speed, yeah it's weird, never had that problem before with the bike and has only been happening recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Your carbs may need tuning, which would help to iron out the idle problem and to get the bike started quicker.
    The Battery may not be holding a charge for long, so this may be the reason why it starts after a run.
    To test it, you need a multimeter.

To check if your reg/rec is working, check if your lights get brighter when you rev the bike, if so, it is working.
    If you rev the bike with the lights on, and your lights go dimmer, the battery is not being charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have a similar prob with my bike. To be honest it could be a number of electrical or fuel problems. I removed the fuel tank and checked any electrical connection for corrosion. If I found any I cleaned them up. I also bought a can of carb cleaner and sprayed the **** out of it. Since doing all that the biks starts fine. I left it for 3 days and when I went to start her she started first time with no problems. It will be monday before I get to take it for a spin to see if yhe problem is cured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Your carbs may need tuning, which would help to iron out the idle problem and to get the bike started quicker.
    The Battery may not be holding a charge for long, so this may be the reason why it starts after a run.
    To test it, you need a multimeter.

To check if your reg/rec is working, check if your lights get brighter when you rev the bike, if so, it is working.
    If you rev the bike with the lights on, and your lights go dimmer, the battery is not being charged.

Yeah now that you mention it the dash lights etc go dimmer when I rev the bike and the light does go brighter so I guess it isn't a reg/rec problem.

Will get a new battery for it as soon as I can and will get it booked in to get the carbs tuned.

Cheers for your help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement