Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommened a Multimedia Player

Options
  • 13-09-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi folks when it comes to technology I am a bit of a dummy! I am looking for help in buying a multi media player for the other half so she can watch movies that she has downloaded, at the moment she must have over 300 movies and she wants them on her laptop but she would prefer to watch them through the TV. I have seen a couple on line but I am unsure what I should be looking at, not looking to spend more than €80. Thanks.

Comments

Check if your TV has a USB slot on the side/back with media playback capability. Most TVs nowadays do.

If you had that then all you would need is a thumbdrive to copy movies onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not a multimedia player but has your TV and the Laptop got HDMI ports?

If so, it could be very simple. All you'd need is a cable which can cost you as little as €2 in the euro store (quality is pretty crap though tbh - at least the one i tried) or pay anything upwards if you want it gold plated.

You should get a very decent one for less than €20. Lidl often do them (for ~€16, and its reasonably good quality).

Just might be an option for you.

Alternatively (again, not a multimedia player but an option), many DVD players now have USB ports too and will play movie files off a thumbdrive. You'd get a decent one for < €80. Just watch out for what format your movies are in and what format the DVD player will play.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Check if your TV has a USB slot on the side/back with media playback capability. Most TVs nowadays do.

If you had that then all you would need is a thumbdrive to copy movies onto.

Oh I feel even bigger tool, as one of my friends said this to me last week and I swore blind there wasn't!!

I checked TV last week and there wasn't one and then I checked my Blueray player and none, but after reading your post I realised we had a 2nd older blueray player upstairs which after checking has a USB port, which I thought was odd since the one we currently use is newer and more modern.

I double checked the newer one we are using and there is usb port, seemed to be like a small little door on front where the port is, anyway it works, so happy days, cheers. :)

Advertisement