Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvested small Onions ideas

• 13-09-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Have loads of really small Onions Red (Think Red Baron) White and Brown skined Onions.

Long story short they were growing happy in one spot and then had to be moved a month after planting. and never really recovered.

Anyone with interesting recipes ideas, love boiled onions but not every other day. and can't stand pickle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Caramelize, the freeze - very versatile for steaks, pizzas, salads, adding to gravies etc
    http://www.thekitchn.com/freezer-friendly-caramelized-onions-166793

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Chop raw and freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Onion bhajis are awesome if you likeindian food.
    Here is an oven recipe.
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/16164/baked-onion-bhajis.aspx

Onion marmalade. I make this a LOT. Handy for making last minute cheese and onion tarts.. Just pop some on a square of frozen puff pastry, with a slice of cheese (goat, mozz, blue, whatever) on top, and then in the oven for fab lunch with a salad. Nomnom.

It's also nice as a condiment, on burgers, with pate or cheeses, in a sandwich!

Throw onions in as a platform for a roast meat. They get all browned and yummy, whiz them up into your gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

my small onions (and there are a lot this year as stalks broke in the wind both red and white) are dried as normal, left on the polytunnel bench till just before first frost, then stored in the kitchen in a turnip bag, are then chopped as needed (raw) and put into my cheese/toasted cheese sandwiches. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

pwurple wrote: »
    Onion marmalade. I make this a LOT. Handy for making last minute cheese and onion tarts.. Just pop some on a square of frozen puff pastry, with a slice of cheese (goat, mozz, blue, whatever) on top, and then in the oven for fab lunch with a salad. Nomnom.

It's also nice as a condiment, on burgers, with pate or cheeses, in a sandwich!
    would love to know how to make onion marmalade please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oldtree wrote: »
    would love to know how to make onion marmalade please

I use the river cottage recipe.

http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/sticky-onion-marmalade/

Just top and tail the baby onions, they break down in cooking. I chuck in whatever I have, shallots, garlic, all sizes onions. The recipe says 4 large onions, That's just over a kilo of mixed onions for me.

Sterilise the jar with boiling water like normal jam if you are storing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

redser7 wrote: »
    Chop raw and freeze.

Our Freezer is full to brim already :-)

Anyone grow a white skin Onion set got from Aldi/Lidl, how did you find them? never noted the cultivar name

mine Seem to be very prone to back leaf spot, Compared to the other Onions

Advertisement