Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TY's a bit of a waste?

• 13-09-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

To be honest, I'm bored senseless :) I'm putting the work in and taking part in every activity and course that I can but I still feel really unchallenged! TY in my school just seems disorganized and unstructured. What worries me the most, is if this is how I feel today, how will I feel about it later in the year! How are you all finding it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm having fun and I don't think it's a waste. Sure, we did hardly anything in the ordinary classroom, but we are planning projects that would boost our CV and all sort of things. TY also gives you the oppertuinity to do things you wouldn't do, like work experince during the school year and all sorts.

It depends on the school to be honest, my school runs an excellent TY programm. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Take it as an opportunity to improve your social life, after all, you won't have as much time in the two next coming years with the LC. If you're not doing anything in school, take it upon yourself to do some stuff outside of school. Try teach yourself a new language if you like studying or maybe even join a sports club/music school.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

So far, I'm having a great time in Ty. I got a place in CIT for a week, I've signed up for gaisce, started working in our canteen and joined the homework club to help first years. However, I do think it all depends on what school you go to, I know my school is one of the best in my county for ty. You also need to give things time, everyone who has done ty that I know has said that September was the worst month because things were only beginning. But if you don't find things improving, try to find things to do outside of school time, try out new sports or hobbies, take part in local events, spend more time with friends etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

Well I've already done all the things your suggesting: ) I'm learning Spanish, taking applied maths, signed up for gaisce, am going to help in the homework club, have applied for a few dfferent courses and have asked for extra work :) I guess it might just take time! I think my main problem is that most of the class are the type that really that don't care about school at all (let alone TY!) and haven't matured since 1st year! I find they create a really negative learning environment and the teachers' time is taken up trying to motivate them instead of supporting those who want to do Well during this year. I'll leave it 'till midterm and if things haven't improved I might tall to my coordinator!
    thanks for the input guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

pvakelly wrote: »
    Well I've already done all the things your suggesting: ) I'm learning Spanish, taking applied maths, signed up for gaisce, am going to help in the homework club, have applied for a few dfferent courses and have asked for extra work :) I guess it might just take time! I think my main problem is that most of the class are the type that really that don't care about school at all (let alone TY!) and haven't matured since 1st year! I find they create a really negative learning environment and the teachers' time is taken up trying to motivate them instead of supporting those who want to do Well during this year. I'll leave it 'till midterm and if things haven't improved I might tall to my coordinator!
    thanks for the input guys :)

I completely forgot about that and having a class like that would make a big difference. Thankfully the majority of my class are great but my first year to third year class were exactly how you describe them and they did make school harder alright :/ Hopefully as the year progresses your class will learn to mature a bit and get more interested in the year. And definitely talking to your coordinator if things don't improve is a good idea :)

• Advertisement

juniorcert wrote: »
    I completely forgot about that and having a class like that would make a big difference. Thankfully the majority of my class are great but my first year to third year class were exactly how you describe them and they did make school harder alright :/ Hopefully as the year progresses your class will learn to mature a bit and get more interested in the year. And definitely talking to your coordinator if things don't improve is a good idea :)

I'm the other way around :) I had a brilliant class for junior cert, as we were streamed! I was in the top stream and everyone worked to the best of their ability! We're unstreamed now though and half the class is at a very different level to the other half and the teachers are catering towards the weaker students leaving everyone who was in the higher stream with little to challenge them. I'll just have to grin and bear it i guess :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Life isn't streamed.
    One of the main points of TY is to prepare you for life, where you meet people of all abilities and interests, some of whom you will get on with, some of whom you won't.

I do appreciate that, and in one way I think it's a good thing that I'm dealing with it now as opposed to when I leave school, but on the other hand in my school,it has reached a point where the teacher is unable to teach due to disruptive behavior. It's gone far beyond me, not going on with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

pvakelly wrote: »
    I do appreciate that, and in one way I think it's a good thing that I'm dealing with it now as opposed to when I leave school, but on the other hand in my school,it has reached a point where the teacher is unable to teach due to disruptive behavior. It's gone far beyond me, not going on with them.

Oh well fair enough if there's disruption.

Is there any way you could try to get a trip (or something nice) organised that only those with the normal behaviour you would expect of a 16 year old can go? Some of the messers who are not really messers but simply sheep might change their ways and the school can more easily identify the hardcore idiots who like to mess.

If I had my way, I'd be sending them home to the parents who did such a poor job of raising them. Let them babysit them for a week.

The "hardcore" idiots are already well identified! The problem is the endless stream of empty threats that are never followed through. For example we had to start a project for one subject over the weekend (I hasten to add we had been given the opportunity to do the research in class) which took at most 40 minutes. We were told there would be "consequences" if it wasn't done. This morning, we arrive into class and I'm not joking when I say that out of a class of 24, myself and one other guy had the work done. Everyone else was just told to have it in for Wednesday -,- I find this infuriating.
    If it doesn't improve by Christmas, I'll be going to see the principal. I'm not going to put up with this sh*t in 5th and 6th year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

I have a 3 yr leaving cert which means I have started on the LC. ITS CRAZY. Every other school i know i either on some trip our doing something fun. I suppose in one way its good though because we are still doing work experience and will be doing workshops and stuff but I had to pick my subjects back in May which I had no clue about haha. But hopefully it will all be okay which im sure it will be.! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I have a 3 yr leaving cert which means I have started on the LC. ITS CRAZY. Every other school i know i either on some trip our doing something fun. I suppose in one way its good though because we are still doing work experience and will be doing workshops and stuff but I had to pick my subjects back in May which I had no clue about haha. But hopefully it will all be okay which im sure it will be.! :)
    I have the exact same situation as you! Just make the most of it and join as many things as possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

In my case, the start of TY was very slow.

I went in with the right mindset of trying to join as many activities as possible, and I'm glad I did. Things picked up in October as we went to Killary for a week, good craic, next thing that comes to mind was mini-company, we were ****e, couldn't sell a thing.

My fondest memory of TY was the school show, which I was backstage manager of.

The point is, yes, it will seem slow in the beginning, but assuming your school has activities and such, it will pick up.

If things don't pick up, I'd suggest you make the most of the free time you have and use it to do something you enjoy doing, or even something to better yourself. Why not take up a new instrument or try a new sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

So far, Ty has been good. Gone on our first physical challenge: cycle 120 km to Brittas and back and going paintballing tomorrow as a reward for cycling in 15 days or more in september out of 20 :D also, we are doing modules of all the subjects they offer for leaving Cert so will have some idea of the subjects i can choose from when the time comes. I passed my Driver Theory test last week as it was one of the assignments for our Guidance Module (do mock test in class then whatever we like). Gaisce is going fine, community service is tuck shop for the primary and secondary school playing rugby on saturdays and the lady supervising usually lets us take free stuff :P The only complaint is that I am running out of good online games to play in classes where our teacher is out or lets us play games. Any of you's got any suggestions? I have brought back games such as pandemic and Boxhead or infectionator, raft wars. cant think of anymore right now, so im open to suggestions. anyway speech over :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Bluestrike wrote: »
    So far, Ty has been good. Gone on our first physical challenge: cycle 120 km to Brittas and back and going paintballing tomorrow as a reward for cycling in 15 days or more in september out of 20 :D also, we are doing modules of all the subjects they offer for leaving Cert so will have some idea of the subjects i can choose from when the time comes. I passed my Driver Theory test last week as it was one of the assignments for our Guidance Module (do mock test in class then whatever we like). Gaisce is going fine, community service is tuck shop for the primary and secondary school playing rugby on saturdays and the lady supervising usually lets us take free stuff :P The only complaint is that I am running out of good online games to play in classes where our teacher is out or lets us play games. Any of you's got any suggestions? I have brought back games such as pandemic and Boxhead or infectionator, raft wars. cant think of anymore right now, so im open to suggestions. anyway speech over :P

Mud and Blood 2 is a good one if you tactical war games.

Advertisement