Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worms in lamb dung

• 13-09-2013 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭

Dosed lambs for worms about ten days ago. Was dagging them there today and noticed one with live worms in their dung.

Would this mean the dose is working?

Most of the dirty ones seemed to have dried up, but a few were still fairly wet/runny, including the one with live worms in the dung.

Did fecal test in end of July and the dose I gave then ( and last week) was 100% effective.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

They would be tape worms, its not possible to see stomach worms. As far as i know any white wormer will kill them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

What eire said, they're tapeworms. AFAIK lambs can thrive even with a lot of them inside. I would have FEC'd them before dosing again, would have told you what was what. I wonder could lush grass be the reason they'd be a bit runny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

Maybe the grass, had 80 ewes and 60 lambs on twenty acres. Moved ewes mid August so the grass is getting a bit ahead of the lambs. Since they weren't on fresh grass I didn't think they would be runny for so long.

The lambs don't seem to be thriving, had a bit of orf early on then was low on cobalt etc so gave them a bolus, was probably a bit quick with the wormer but had it left over from last dose so said might as well.

Weighing again next week for stap so hopefully will see some improvement.

All that STAP stuff has to be in before Sept 20 I think? Have my own two weights ready to go, getting a flock health plan done Monday, got my FEC tests done, and got some other paper work mumbo jumbo to get done in a hurry as I missed that meeting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

Ya STAP stuff has to bee in by the 20th. Done the flock healtH plan and creep feeding the mountain lambs here. Persume ya just hand in the meal dockets for the creep feeding task? Our advisor was also saying thats its over subscribed and that he expects some people wont get anything, anyone else hear this?

• Advertisement

It would be bad for the scheme if that happened. I find it good for the on farm visits and the discussions that get going, really good info in them. Much better than any study or paper because it's real life and local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

All that STAP stuff has to be in before Sept 20 I think? Have my own two weights ready to go, getting a flock health plan done Monday, got my FEC tests done, and got some other paper work mumbo jumbo to get done in a hurry as I missed that meeting!

Are you doing three tasks?

Would like to do the flock health plan, how much does your vet charge?

Have my fec done, will weigh next weigh next Wednesday and get them up once I find the code or whatever to get them posted up.

Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment.

I don't know yet, he wasn't there this morning so I've to go back Monday morning.

ICBF (Sheep Ireland) posted me out a letter with my ID and password for their site, just got to enter the figures now.

Advertisement