Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭POBox19

Washed up near Sydney. No keel at all.

Story and pic from Sailing Anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dont think she was for sale from what if seen. Think that's just her photo being used for publicity to sell new hulls, they seem to have been putting push on to get new orders built. They're a bit late to the market with a good 2 hander. Might be a few nervous owners wondering if it's too late to cancel an order

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Daibheid

If either had bothered with a PLB they'd have been about an hour in the water. First rescue services would have been on the case immediately and second they'd have gone straight to the scene.

They were lucky to survive that long in those conditions with fatigue and hypothermia but must have had lifejackets at least and rather warmer water than round here.

It'd be hard to trust any yacht again after experiencing a keel coming off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That should buff out....

But in all seriousness, a 2 hander racing yacht capsizes, only 15 miles from shore, and its 12 hours before an alarm is even raised!!!

That's fairly disturbing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

It’s just another serious gear failure to add to a growing list of several dozen of the exact same type at this stage, stretching waaay back…. Remember Drum in Fastnet ’79 ? It’s not just Farr – Beneteau (Cheekyrafiki among others) and several designs notably Bavaria also have lost keels through drop-off. It will be interesting to read the Marine report – the two crew were sitting on the hull and reported by a passing merchantman. The ladies were lucky there was a look-out on watch. It’s time people woke up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Apparently this is happening today/now: https://www.greystonesguide.ie/blazing-paddles/

Two SUPs from Holyhead to Greystones.

Round Britain & Ireland started last Sunday from Cowes. 1st boats only north of Mayo today and the retirals are starting already. Good few mid 30 footers racing which could be a long slow & rationed race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭traco

Medallia headed out into the Atlantic to pick up some wind and seems to be paying off

SY Eleanora has been declared a total loss. She is still fully submerged alongside the quay in Tarragona. The captain of the Spanish rescue that rammed her has been cleared, cause apparently was a mechanical fault. It will be interesting to read the accident report, as there is conflicting info from witnesses (e.g. allegedly dropping anchors to stop way). The insurers went to tender to lift/refloat her - there was pressure from the Port. Most salvors proposed cutting her up and lifting, the winning bid will raise her using airbags.

Maybe a project for Fergal?😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well, that's quite the rant!!

Can't say I disagree with any of it.

I first saw it posted on FB, and most comments seemed to be in agreement as well.

AC really do seem to have lost their audience....

I've had close to zero interest in it since probably the 90's...

Tried watching a few of the races in the last series but they are just so boring, and that really annoying droning noise (I presume it's the hydraulic systems?) was head wrecking.... reminded me of the vuzulveza's from the world cup in South Africa...

There's just nothing to remotely be excited about watching 2 boats racing when one of them is doing 24 knots, and the other one is doing 35 knots..... And you spend more time watching the computer generated graphic of the race course to actually get an idea of how each boat is doing.....

Cork (& Ireland) dodged a massive bullet there....

Between the americas Cup & what was the whitbread/volvo both races are so far away from reality now and more about which host cities will pay them the most while trying to squeeze every cent out of the competitors. Was never a mad americas cup fan but at least in the 90s and early 2000s the boats looked something similarish to the regular everyday racer and most people could relate to sail trim etc

It’s decades since I followed the AC for the reasons outlined. That article is short on detail of past rancour. The rules were problematical even in the 1890’s when there were major rows between Lord Dunraven (Valkyrie) and the AC committee / NYYC.  He unsuccessfully tried on two occasions to win back the Cup. In that era the Americans were shameless in their determination to win at all costs, constantly stacking the rules in favour of the defender. He was very upset by what he considered to be the ‘cheating tactics’. He resigned as an honorary member of NYYC before his membership was revoked following his negative comments. He then gave up Americas Cup racing.. One of Dunraven’s bugbears was spectator boats that crowded the course, particularly in his line and following a minor collision with one he was found responsible and penalised. Setting the course offshore would have been fair, but the NYYC refused to allow this for many years. Later the NYYC again changed the rules, requiring entries sail to the event.  In motor racing terms it would be like asking every international F1 team to drive their cars 3000 miles to the circuit before racing. This drew accusations of cheating by the NYYC and responses from them of bad sportsmanship. Dunraven is supposedly the originator of “Britannia rules the waves, but America waives the rules."

American designer Herreshoff came up with a fairer set of rules (the Universal Rules) but the NYYC refused to accept them fpr more than a decade, which is why Lipton delayed his challenges.

As a result of the ill-feeling towards Dunraven, NYYC only recently (5 or 6 yrs ago) accepted him into the AC ‘Hall of Fame’ founded c1990

FWIW Cork did not dodge the AC bullet: there never was a possibility it would come to Ireland. It was a marketing stunt for tourism, fed by media hype and political fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I thought the 2013 AC was one of the most exciting sporting competitions I've ever seen. The development of skills developed during the competition was fascinating. I loved it.

Foiling ACs, since have been a bit boring, I'll admit.

But I find the technology and skills development really interesting.

Best foiling racing I've watched was Superfoilers GP. They were foiling trimarans but with no hydrolics or electronics - all operated with pulleys and ropes. I don't think the class survived past 2019. There's loads of races on YouTube, if you'd like to see exciting foiling racing.

Never submitted his celestial navigation logs from the 2000 mile qualifier so find and made to do a 300 mile sail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Thrust me! Lord save us who came up with the name for this yoke?😅

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Had great craic gluing magnets back onto flywheel today using 100e tube of glue & activator

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This is the type of thing a captain got away with, before smart phones came along!

Whos liable for that? Tug boats who would have the TS under control or the TS insurers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Master is responsible for his vessel. In these situations it's always logged as "Masters orders and Pilots advice"...!

But if you're being pulled by a tug, are you not "not under command"? Different to a pilot on board, I'd have thought....

Tugs take their orders from the pilot, who is "advising" the captain. They push and pull in the direction they are told to from the ships bridge management team. There may be a share in blame, but the Captain is first in line to take responsibility for the incident.

The first casualty from the Golden Globe Race.

Guy de Boer on the rocks on the north coast of Fuerteventura.

Pat Lawless is still trucking along in 3rd place.

Tough for him, an experienced solo sailor. Weather was good, sea calm, 15-knots NW. How does one explain to insurers and sponsors how difficult it is to avoid an island the size of Kildare with a mountain on it not much smaller than Carrauntuohil!?

They’re doing this race with zero modern technology aren’t they (except for emergency situations), so it could have been something as simple as sleeping too late or misjudgment of his position by a mile or so…

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

Could have been asleep and is alarms never woke him up.

A young persons game, Robin Knox-Johnson was only 29 when he did his trip around.

• Advertisement

This is nuts. Fair play to the Swedish lad for ordering the boat.

3,100 hp and a top speed of over 100 knots!

Advertisement