Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Seems like fatigue put him on the rocks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hope they're not counting on those solar panels to add to the battery bank?! 🤭

thats alot of headsails for a small foredeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've been dipping in occasionally to YB to check on Pat Lawless's progress, and pleased to see he's still in 3rd place.

Tonight I noticed the numbers.... he's doing 4. 1kts at the last ping - and he has just over 24,000nm still to go.

😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Four+ knots actually is not too bad, it’s about 100nm per day. Flat out she should reach just over six knots based on her LWL. Still an awful long way/time. Good luck to him!

On a separate topic, I see that in Tarragona Eleonora E has been raised – a plate was welded onto the hole (a poor description of the cavity/opening) in her hull. Lifted to the surface by two cranes she was pumped out and towed to a nearby dockyard. The insurers have already declared her a total loss, but the fact that she was not broken up and lifted in sections is an indication that someone might take on a project. Brave buyer, I’d say there are huge lateral compression issues, dodgy bulkheads, etc..Would be lovely to see her under sail again.

No full collision investigation seems to have taken place (in public!) but it was announced that it was the result of an ‘accident’, and I’ve seen nothing official published. (Spain is unlikely to publish a report on one of its own vessels!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sailor who broke solo Arctic record ‘spent cosy nights in a hotel’

Yvan Bourgnon crossed the Northwest Passage on his catamaran in 2017

When the Franco-Swiss adventurer Yvan Bourgnon arrived in Greenland after crossing the Arctic Ocean he was lauded as a hero.

His tales of defying the cold, fighting off a polar bear and finding a path through the ice to become the first person to sail solo along the Northwest Passage without assistance dominated the media.

Next week, Bourgnon, 51, will be dragged before a Paris court in a case featuring claims that the 71-day crossing in 2017 was not quite as breathtaking as it seemed. The court will hear allegations that the adventurer spent more than a week in a hotel in the Canadian Arctic, received help from other seafarers and was towed by a Dutch motorboat for 90-odd miles.

Yvan Bourgnon says he did not claim to have entered the record books with his voyage

The claims will be aired in a dispute over video filmed for a documentary. The film director Pierre Guyot, 51, had equipped Bourgnon’s yacht, Ma Louloute, with six cameras.

But when he arrived in Nuuk, Greenland, in September 2017, the pair fell out. Lawyers for Guyot and for 10.7, the production company, are expected to tell the court that the footage failed to live up to Bourgnon’s death-defying descriptions. There were no images of the polar bear that he said climbed on board before fleeing when he fired his gun, or of his crossing of the iceberg-filled Bellot Strait.

Bourgnon claims his critics are nit-picking and says he never claimed to have won a place in the record books by being the first person to sail solo through it, only to have accomplished a “feat”.

“I slept in a hotel. So what?” he told Le Figaro. “Should I have abandoned [the adventure]?”

Robert Headland of the Scott Polar Research Institute at Cambridge University, removed the voyage from its official list of Northwest Passage transits after finding that for much of the trip Bourgnon “was not aboard his catamaran My Louloutte which was in tow, and otherwise assisted by other vessels.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sailor-who-broke-solo-arctic-record-spent-cosy-nights-in-a-hotel-pqh5lnzdk

Pat Lawless on board video from start of GGR

Great boat for sale at the moment in DL.

I have sailed many hundreds of hours and miles on her over the years, and the current owner has done heaps of work and upgrading since he bought, and raced in Dublin Bay and ISORA.

Just in case there's anyone out there toying with the idea of a cruiser/racer, it's a great boat for both!

(Hope it's OK to post this here, feel free to delete if inappropriate!)

• Advertisement

One very lucky sailor to be rescued so far out in the Atlantic. Boat looks a bit "special"?

HM Coastguard was involved in the rescue of a sailor from the Atlantic Ocean over the weekend, after his yacht lost its mast in stormy conditions. The Coastguard’s Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC) received two distress beacon alerts from the yacht 700-miles west of Ireland Friday evening (14 October). The vessel had extensive damage and was drifting in very poor weather conditions. Thanks to the two beacons onboard however, the Coastguard was able to locate the yacht and begin the search and rescue. A request was made to the RAF to deploy two aircraft, which identified the stricken yacht using coordinates provided by the JRCC, at around 8.20am Saturday. At the scene, the aircraft provided communications with the vessel. At the same time HM Coastguard was broadcasting to all shipping within 300-miles and three vessels responded, altering their courses to intercept the yacht. After four unsuccessful attempts by another merchant vessel overnight, the survivor, an American national and experienced sailor, was rescued just after 6.30am on Sunday (16 October) by motor tanker Amax Anthem.

What do you mean by "special"?

Looks like a centre-cockpit, solid enough boat to me...... minus a solid enough mast, mind you!

(apologies if there's something blindingly obvious I'm missing here!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

Looked normal enough to me. The only issue I see is the mast should have been cut a way, if it cannot be retrieved. The mast can damage the hull if left banging over the side. Not sure why the life raft was launched, unless they though it was safer to transfer from it to the helicopter.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Not your standard BenJenBav design, which is fine, but very large pilothouse windows, none of the usual equipment you see on a transatlantic cruiser. Unusual stem post and transom more like a motorboat than a bluewater cruiser. She just looks a bit, special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

The life raft was dropped by the RAF.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Route de Rhum start tomorrow been postponed till Tuesday or Wednesday due to weather

Looks like Pat Lawless may be out of the GGR, seems like a wind vane bearing is gone and can't be replaced.

What a shame if this turns out to be the case, he was doing brilliantly.

Terribly sad for him if he does have to pull in!!! but yeah, you would not want to be going into the Southern Ocean with broken or jury rigged parts!!!!! especially on the steering vane!

he can pull in and do repairs and continue in the "Chichester" class and at least get around with the 1 stop. Pain in the ass after all the prep etc but agree you do not want to be going near the southern ocean with broken bits.

• Advertisement

So my dream of becoming the first solo non stop circumnavigating Irishman lives for another few years...... :D

Could probably be the 1st to do it a First285 while your at it

What did they use first time round, I wonder?

Sounds like a very..... eventful.... start to the Route du Rhum!

Injury on the start line, race abandoned due to tech issues and ill health, crash with a cargo ship, broken daggerboard, waves of fronts hammering the boats - it's all happening out there!

Well, this sounds fully legit..... 😳

RTE news : Sailors rescued after yacht washes ashore on Achill

Route de Rhums becoming a bit of a demolition derby. Collision with a container ship, broken masts and a capsize along with broken foils

*damaged imoca 60 heading to Portugal this morning (monday) had an explosion and then went on fire. The skipper had to abandon ship and get rescued by a cargo shop

Post edited by neris on

So somewhere off the west coast, there's a couple of tons of Colombian marching powder floating around waiting to be hooked in fishing nets.....

Indeed, I expect the level of beachcombing on the NW coast to rocket for the next few weeks/months!

Even if you were promised millions, what would possess you to take on the Atlantic in winter, with no nav equipment, and seemingly no comms either. Never mind the no passports!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Achill Beach

Advertisement