Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I lifted the wording out of a court report published in a UK newspaper. Selfie. 14 seconds. 42mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

All those words would be in any report on the incident.

That doesn't make what you said true.

Perhaps you could link to where you read this?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭POBox19

Here's the MAIB video showing the track of the RIB on it's trip from their interim report. The final report will probably issue after all the legal cases are finished.

https://youtu.be/d-qzbIyz3aI

Summary

On 22 August 2020 at 1011, the commercially operated high speed passenger craft Seadogz collided with the North-West Netley buoy in Southampton Water at a speed of 38.4kts. On board was the skipper and 11 passengers. During the collision two passengers were ejected overboard into the water where their lifejackets inflated. The remaining passengers and the skipper suffered varying degrees of impact injuries. A 15-year-old girl, was fatally injured when she was thrown against the handrail directly in front of her bench seat.

Urgent safety considerations

• the skipper was operating single-handedly, at high speed and did not see the navigation buoy, which was directly ahead for 10 seconds before impact
    • during the trip the passengers became accustomed to passing close by large navigation buoys at speed and were therefore unconcerned at the crafts approach to the buoy and did not attempt to alert the skipper
    • high speed figure of eight turns completed during the trip, increased the risk of hooking or spinning out

Thanks POBox. The MAIB will be a sad read.

@the beer revolu I didn't read it online, it was in hard copy, I was out of Dublin and the choice of UK papers was limited, not sure if that paper is still around. Here are two links - one has mention of a selfie taken at the start of the trip. They also mention that the driver first said his covid mask blew over his eyes and later changed it to another story.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/jury-shown-footage-of-speedboat-accident-in-which-teenage-girl-died/42292865.html

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/skipper-and-company-owner-avoid-jail-over-speedboat-death-of-emily-lewis15/981778139.html

OK, so you agree that the driver wasn't taking a selfie when the boat struck the bouy?

I've really nothing to add, and I fail to understand what point you are trying to make. To be crystal clear, I am in no way defending the driver of that boat. But facts, on a public forum, do matter.

• Advertisement

I was / am not making any point. I simply posted an update on a topice previously raised here and quoted a newspaper report. It's a common practice in the forum. I did not comment on seamanship or the attitude of the deceased girl's parents.

The report reads ...."The Court heard Lawrence, 55, took a selfie during the speedboat ride .........and later drove into a metal buoy at 42.2 mph". (Penultimate paragraph below.)

If you want to be censorious or pick a fight I suggest you take it up with the newspaper editor. And also perhaps start a campaign in Dublin and elsewhere in Ireland to stop the w@nkers in ribs and jet skis doing the same here - a regular feature in Killiney Bay during the summer.

I'm sorry, but what you posted was factually incorrect. It should be removed.

No newspaper report, MIAB report or court report confirms what you stated to be true. I don't want an argument because there isn't one.

Obviously, and understandably, you are upset about this case but fabricating stories about the case does no one any good.

Really, a moderator should remove the post as it is libellous.

You clearly stated that he was taking a selfie when the boat collided with the bouy. This is blatantly not a true statement to make - no matter how shocking or upsetting you find this case to be.

I fail to understand your stubbornness on this. You could just say that you misinterpreted the facts and that you were incorrect - no problem. Instead you are doubling down and arguing that black is white!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭POBox19

This is the actual selfie, not going very fast.

The same company paid £300,000 to a passenger in 2012 following an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All gone very wrong for one of the few GGR competitors left out there.

Hopefully he can be rescued and comes out of it OK. Sounds like it'll be a long day or two for him.....

Safely rescued by a Taiwanese fishing boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fair play to this lad… only the 3rd man in history to row the Atlantic in a single seater… just arrived a few minutes ago.

Came out for a sling wash and an insurance survey on Friday, and am surprised at how well the International Cruiser 250 held up after 10 months afloat.. much better than the Hempel stuff it seems!! but once again the prop was riddled with shells….

I was given a tip of mixing some chilli powder into some Vaseline and then coating it on the prop, which won’t stop the problem, but will hopefully slow the little feckers down!!

Itching for a bit of decent weather over the summer…. (And over the weekends, not during the week when I’m at my desk looking at boats sailing past in glorious sunshine!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Been racing at least once a week since just after Easter and the weather this year has been poxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nosedive

Guys, im hiping to pick your sailing brains: does anyone have a link or advice on survival times in the Irish sea? I'm thinking of a situation where you're overboard with flotation but need to wait for a pick up. A dry suit/survival suit would obviously be advisable but what are your chances without one?

I fly light aircraft and hoping to do Scotland ot across the Irish Sea later in the year, wearing a survival suit is 'difficult' in my aircraft and most pilots don't bother but I wonder if they've considered how cold the sea can be. I have seen some research referring to loss of dexterity in the hands after perhaps 15 minutes and an hour or more being likely life threatening BUT I seem to recall another source referring to the original research as being conducted on inmates of the concentration camps and therfore on people in very poor condition to begin with.

What's the truth? I know I SHOULD have a suit but for 20 minutes over the water and balancing risk....can I await pick up without one in the event of a ditching?

.....and then what's better, marine band radio or a PLB? And how best do you make yourself visible in the water? Maybe that's another discussion!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I would think with a PLB and a lifejacket you will be rescued soon enough, don't think you could fly in a suit and would probably not have time to put one on

Presumably in the event of having to ditch, you’d be able to put out a mayday, and I assume with radar/transponders they would already have a general idea of your position?

So add to that a PLB & life jacket and the chances are you wouldn’t be further than about an hour or so from rescue by a lifeboat of a CG helicopter.

Water temp in Dublin Bay right now is 13 degrees… and I’d doubt Irish Sea temps would ever dip below 10-11 degrees..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nosedive

Thanks both.

Correct, flying with a siot would mean you have to be wearing it for the flight (perhaps 2 hours with less than a quarter of that over water?).

Yes, should be plenty of time for a mayday and even attempt a restart etc depending on cause of the engine failure. In actual fact, crossing from northern Ireland to Scotland would likely have you in gliding range for the majority of the crossing so there are options.....

Thanks for tip on weather buoy above.

• Advertisement

Probably for the best.

I see Pat Lawless of GGR fame is signed up for the D2D race, starting on Wednesday.

I'm assuming not single-handed!!

He's a glutton for punishment!

These muppets are back in the news. (The Journal). At least they got some time in the slammer, had their boat destroyed (it didn't look up to much AFAIR) and a €1k fine. The companion / co-defendant's appeal was adjourned.

Pleasure boat captain cleared on appeal of being drunk while sailing in Dublin Port

Story by Tom Tuite • Yesterday 22:07A PLEASURE BOAT captain who claimed he had a “God-given right” to take his craft out onto the Liffey has been cleared on appeal of being drunk while erratically sailing in Dublin Port’s shipping lane six years ago.

Brian Stacey, 50, of Derry Drive, Crumlin and co-defendant Ronan Stephens, 46, from Captain’s Road in Crumlin, Dublin, were handed three-month jail sentences, with the final month suspended in each case, and fined €1,000 in January 2020.

They were also ordered to complete alcohol awareness courses after their six-day Dublin District Court hearing.

The pleasure boat was seized and later destroyed.

However, the two friends were released after they lodged an appeal to overturn the verdict and sentences, which came before the Circuit Court.

It had been delayed as a result of covid-19.

Judge Geoffrey Shannon noted that the case was listed for mention today, but the State consented to Stacey’s appeal being allowed.

Defence counsel John Griffin said the order was Stacey’s appeal had been allowed, and the co-defendant’s appeal was adjourned until a later date for hearing.

Stacey’s original District Court trial had been told that a Dublin Fire Brigade, a tugboat, an RNLI lifeboat, and gardaí had to get involved in dealing with the incident on the Liffey and the shipping lane in the morning of 1 June, 2017.

During that hearing, the prosecution’s case included evidence from ex-Garda Paul Moody who responded to the incident.

The sailors on the Peja, a small 26-foot quarter-tonne yacht, allegedly refused to get out of the shipping lane and delayed the approach of the Corinthian, a 90-metre 4,000-tonne cruise liner, the non-jury District Court trial had heard.

Gardaí were also brought out on the water to help deal with the situation but allegedly were told to f*** off.

The court had heard that Stacey, the yacht skipper, insisted it was his “God-given right” to sail on the Liffey while his co-accused stripped off when the boat came in at Sir John Rogerson Quay, where he was arrested.

They faced charges under the Maritime Safety Act.

They denied careless sailing, operating a vessel while intoxicated and engaging in threatening and abusive behaviour at the Shipping Lane.

In their defence, they claimed during their trial that there was no alcohol on board, just bottled water, and they were not breathalysed.

Witnesses claimed the small boat zig-zagging on the shipping lane fairway of the port.

Stacey had told his District Court trial that he was “fuming” because he thought the other boats were trying to destroy his pleasure craft.

He said he had been sailing for ten years and agreed best practice would have been to make radio contact with the harbour master earlier that morning.

However, they did not answer the designated radio channel, he claimed.

He denied using profanities and told the court, “I told them it was my God-given right to sail down the Liffey if I feel like it”.

He said he was not the sort of person that cursed.

“It was our God-given right to operate on the water,” he had testified.

So I guess Day 1 of the Dun Laoghaire regatta was scrubbed??

Looks like it was ‘fun’

2 classes (Flying Fifteens and B21.1s) got a 1 lap race in, I believe.

It was manky out there!

We went over from howth about 11. Manky and lumpy off the Bailey never saw below 25. Went into DL for some food and coffee and wasn't much change when we went back out. They really should have just called it earlier and kept everyone ashore. Tomorrow and Saturday don't look much better

Yeah, looks like this Flying Fifteen got into a spot of bother…

Must have been into a pint at that stage we're berthed on the opposite side

• Advertisement

Thoughts and prayers with everyone lining up for the Fastnet start tomorrow - it looks like a manky first 24 hours!!!

Advertisement