Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

1102103104105106108»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Tow

Yes. The boat anchored in front of her was classically rigged with twin masts. A lot more windage than a clean modern aluminium mast. They ran their engines to reduce the strain on their anchor. When the squall passed they looked around and she had vanished, then they saw a flare from the life raft.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It was reportedly a water spout (tornado) so you would get a lot of wind, very quickly/suddnely, from all directions, without any chance of the boat turning into the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,649 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If the water spout hit the boat/mast at just the right angle, you would have had all that wind as well as tons upon tons of water hitting it, which was obviously enough to knock her down… and once she started heeling, there was enough sustained pressure to keep pushing her over..

Must have been an absolute nightmare on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭nokiatom

To my knowledge the mast is intact. The bow would would have been into the wind while at anchor but with a tornado the wind could come from any direction and without warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Daibheid

These super yachts are extremely stable keel up because of their size and mass. Any pivoting keel is going to have some play in it so could cause erratic thuds through the boat in even gentle breezes or tiny waves/swells.

• Advertisement

Check the video I posted

Check the video I posted, the only thing that stopped that mast being pushed past 90degrees was the marina alongside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Lots of uneducated comment in the media. The blame game has started, reputations to be protected. eSysman has an interesting video with good comment from another designer, Chris Freers.Interesting observations on doors, keel position, heeling moment, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFOpw5UCn8s

and what would happen if it did come near 90 degrees and no marina there?

It depends on several factors. Keel down and hatches etc open it'd probably right itself near instantly with limited water ingress albeit with significant injuries to occupants.

Keel up hatches mostly secured, it'd be as above but righting more slowly.

Keel up and mostly open hatches, it could swamp and fail to right which is IMHO likely what happened in Sicily.

There are a host of competing interests vested in what happened so we won't know for certain until the actual investigation report is published. But Global Warming and the effect it's having with more extreme weather - see "summer" in Ireland 2024, may have been a factor. That and Super yacht bragging rights.

• Advertisement

Indeed…. (same(ish) boat, same guy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Tow

Swing into the wind and stay upright. In saying that I have seen an Etap 21 capsize and turn turtle. Knocked down, safety rail snapped and two large lads fell on to the main sail. They managed to right her like a large dinghy. J24s are also know for sinking if knocked down and the cabin floods.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Alkers

I saw that, spectacular but is she not alongside and therefore (potentially at least) at right angles to the wind, whereas facing into the wind would (as you are at anchor) be the optimal position

I bought (my dad bought me) a Ron Holland mini tonner back in the mid 90's and she came with a reputation for apparently capsizing and filling up/sinking, so when we got her one of the first things we did was put a homemade lead bulb on the keel, as my dad didn't want 15-16yo me and my mates out in Dublin Bay in something that 'could' capsize and sink!!

It certainly wasn't the most aerodynamic bulb out there, but it did help keep her stable in those first few years… (thats the rear end)

Then we took the bulb off, got an oversized kite, and had some great craic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

Interesting looking visitor in howth this evening

Advertisement