Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Did I hear several people mention beers?

Should I take it upon myself to start a beers thread? I've the dates Howth and DSBC start the summer season so I can base it on that, and arrange something city centre perhaps?
    On an unbeers related note, I'm black and blue, thank goodness my workwear this week is long sleeved, I've a four inch long bruise on my upper arm (no idea how I got it, but the jib ripping on the start line may be a factor?)

I once went out sailing, and spent the next day presenting in a short sleeved top, oblivious until about 4pm that I looked like a victim of violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Of course they are antique! The were old when I was a kid, and the last time I manned the line from the Hut, Jack Kennedy was alive and a bottle of something strong to keep out the damp was de rigueur. (Otherwise the Class Captain risked at least a recall !)

I do RO in The Hut, and Carmel rules the roost there with an iron fist (just to mix my metaphors) - and the "brown milk" for the coffees is still a staple, along with homemade cakes and the poker game while the boats are all specks in the distance. Timing the poker to finish as the first boat is coming around Turning is quite the skill, which they've honed to the n'th degree!

Sadly, I've heard that this may well be the Hut's last year - don't quote me on that, but I fear that its days are numbered and it'll be a sad day when it goes. The true end of an era that I've been very proud to have been part of.

(having said all that, I really hope i'm wrong :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Carmel has ruled the roost forever! Glad to see that the old traditions are kept going! Does she still use the R/T? (memories of whoever was helming saying "Would someone turn that bl00dy thing off, THAT Woman is distracting me!" There were rumours of the Hut 'going' back in the '90's.

JamesM wrote: »
    We had a Race Officer in Blessington SC who used a shotgun. He refused to use blanks because they could damage the barrels. We seldom had anyone OCS :eek::D
    Not accurate; blanks do no harm to barrels, they just cost substantially more!;)

Carmel has ruled the roost forever! Glad to see that the old traditions are kept going! Does she still use the R/T? (memories of whoever was helming saying "Would someone turn that bl00dy thing off, THAT Woman is distracting me!" There were rumours of the Hut 'going' back in the '90's.

Oh Carmel still rules the Dublin Bay radio waves alright! And woe betide you if you interrupt her flow, I was on the receiving end of one tongue-lashing from her years back, broadcast to the whole fleet..... by golly you learned not to commit that sin again!!! She's a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Stheno wrote: »

With bells on :eek:

Lots of my pals doing sea survival courses at the moment in preparation for the offshore season starting soon.... this brought it all back, and the absolutely immeasurable value of having done some training and knowing the drill.

One thing though - the paper said he fell over at 12-something am... but it was daylight.... I'm assuming the paper was wrong? They can't possibly have been far north enough for 24 hour daylight surely?

ETA - cancel that last bit of confusion! Just re-read the article and it was 12-something am UK time - now what the feck relevance does that have to anything :confused: Anyway, all clear now!

One lucky man

+1.
    Odd reportage, though, Indo says Clipper organisers said Mr Taylor fell in at 12.43am UK time on Monday but was not seen again until 1.55am and plucked from the ocean by his team-mates at 2.13am. So it would have been dark at that time, unless the press is using GMT? Good that someone hit the correct button on the satnav and that the navigator was on top of the game. Next time there is a headsail change when the wind is blowing 35knots I'd bet that the foredeck will wear use harnesses & lifelines!

Just read Heidi' s comment

+1.
    Odd reportage, though, Indo says Clipper organisers said Mr Taylor fell in at 12.43am UK time on Monday but was not seen again until 1.55am and plucked from the ocean by his team-mates at 2.13am. So it would have been dark at that time, unless the press is using GMT? Good that someone hit the correct button on the satnav and that the navigator was on top of the game. Next time there is a headsail change when the wind is blowing 35knots I'd bet that the foredeck will wear use harnesses & lifelines!

Just read Heidi' s comment

Yeah, just checked it out - 12mn our time would be 4pm US Pacific time, and even earlier further out in the Pacific. Still very misleading reporting on the Indo's part though!

• Advertisement

Thinking on this, I was wondering about the rules, iirc they mentioned putting on the engines to search for the mob, is that allowed in offshore racing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

As long as you don't benefit from it in race terms, aux power can be used - e.g. in this case to retrieve a MOB or in other cases to reverse off a net or sand bank etc. Similar situation to throwing an anchor out in a foul tide if you're losing ground.

If it was me in the drink, I'd be pretty pissed off if they DIDN'T put the engines on sharpish, rules or no rules!

But yes, it's as Steve said, you can get yourself out of danger as long as you don't gain from it.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If it was me in the drink, I'd be pretty pissed off if they DIDN'T put the engines on sharpish, rules or no rules!
    Well that was my thinking, but having seen that NZ skipper telling his boys to carry on after two went overboard in the Americas Cup, I wasn't sure :D

Well that was my thinking, but having seen that NZ skipper telling his boys to carry on after two went overboard in the Americas Cup, I wasn't sure :D

AC is completely different, not offshore for starters, and they had chase/rescue boats on their tails. Middle of the Pacific, on your own, all bets are off!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The rules are pretty clear that, barring injury, you can't finish with less crew than you started with - this was to stop skippers ditching crew to swim home when winds got light.:D

Steve wrote: »
    The rules are pretty clear that, barring injury, you can't finish with less crew than you started with - this was to stop skippers ditching crew to swim home when winds got light.:D

Given I'm the lightest on my boat, I'm safe so :D

Nobody's safe - speaking from experience... :P

Nobody's safe - speaking from experience... :P

Ah but I weigh so much less than you :P

Those sheets would have just whipped past me

Ah but I weigh so much less than you :P

Those sheets would have just whipped past through me
    FYP... :D

• Advertisement

Dunno where that leaves me so - apart from surprised I've stayed dry as long as I have :eek::D

FYP... :D

Evil
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Dunno where that leaves me so - apart from surprised I've stayed dry as long as I have :eek::D

Avoided being bowman? Steve had the pleasure of the drink the one day I didn't go out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Avoided being bowman? Steve had the pleasure of the drink the one day I didn't go out :D

He was just showing off, we had to wrestle him to the deck to stop him trying the same stunt again. Although I will admit the pics of the bruise on his ribs gave me the willies, probably still healing even now.

+1.
    Next time there is a headsail change when the wind is blowing 35knots I'd bet that the foredeck will wear use harnesses & lifelines!

Apparently he was clipped on, unclipped to go get a pliers, and forgot to clip back on again :eek:

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/sailor-praises-mates-after-rescue-30154602.html

Apparently he was clipped on, unclipped to go get a pliers, and forgot to clip back on again :eek:

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/sailor-praises-mates-after-rescue-30154602.html

Thanks. That sorta makes sense. But what about the line that stretches from the pulpit to the cockpit along the deck that allows you to traverse the boat without unclipping? Good work by all concerned, good call to put someone up the mast.
    "One second my feet were on the boat, the next second my head was in the water," Mr Taylor said. "It happened so very, very quickly."
    Mr Taylor thought his safety harness was clipped to the boat.
    Mr Taylor, ............ said “a sudden storm pushed him farther from the boat ...........It really got very nasty for a while.........I got rolled over in some of the waves, like a washing machine. By the time the storm passed I didn't know where the boat was."
    Sounds like they were hit by a bad squall, explains delay and loss of visual on the man o/board. Another reason for keeping a weather eye when working on the foredeck.
    And when s#1t happens, as the man said, "It can happen so very, very quickly."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Vexorg wrote: »
    He was just showing off, we had to wrestle him to the deck to stop him trying the same stunt again. Although I will admit the pics of the bruise on his ribs gave me the willies, probably still healing even now.

Bruises - makeup I bet :pac: Sure didn't his cigarettes stay dry..no big deal at all.

juke wrote: »
    Bruises - makeup I bet :pac: Sure didn't his cigarettes stay dry..no big deal at all.
    Yeah, it was just all smoke mirrors and makeup... didn't hurt a bit, thanks. :)

5HnnT5_thumb.jpg

Thanks. That sorta makes sense. But what about the line that stretches from the pulpit to the cockpit along the deck that allows you to traverse the boat without unclipping? Good work by all concerned, good call to put someone up the mast.
    Sounds like they were hit by a bad squall, explains delay and loss of visual on the man o/board. Another reason for keeping a weather eye when working on the foredeck.
    And when s#1t happens, as the man said, "It can happen so very, very quickly."

I was thinking the same myself, why did he have to unclip in the first place. Only thing I could think of was that that maybe he had to go downstairs into the cabin to get a pliers and unclipped with that expectation?

I reckon the same, it was way too many colours, purple and black and yellow, I'd say he went mad with an eyeshadow pallette. :D

Edit, the picture above supports my thinking, see the long streak of yellow on the left?

Sorry Steve :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

That said, it did take a week to dry his boots out.

• Advertisement

That said, it did take a week to dry his boots out.

At least boots tend not to stink!

Advertisement