Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stheno wrote: »
    At least boots tend not to stink!

eh duno whos boots your smelling

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »

Just my own lavender and eucalyptus scented ones :D

Compared to gloves, dinghy boots, and wetsuits they are low down on my list of stinkiness

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

neris wrote: »

You owe me a keyboard due to spittage.. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Compared to gloves, dinghy boots, and wetsuits they are low down on my list of stinkiness

LOL.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

juke wrote: »
    LOL.

Am I missing something here? Do they stink as they age?

I once accidentally left wet gloves in my car and spent several days wondering why the car stank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Reckon so...especially if they've been swimming :pac:

Never associated sailing gear with bad smells....apart from boots.

juke wrote: »
    Reckon so...especially if they've been swimming :pac:

Never associated sailing gear with bad smells....apart from boots.

Gloves for me are the worst.

Thinking on it now my dinghy boots stank after a day of multiple capsizes, so logically no reason why sailing boots wouldn't stink after the same.

Ugh. YUCK

Eta have you seen the beers thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Wet gloves left in the bag for a week can be pretty rank, industrial strength odor eaters for the boots - cant beat em.

Vexorg wrote: »
    Wet gloves left in the bag for a week can be pretty rank, industrial strength odor eaters for the boots - cant beat em.

The gloves yes, weirdly my boots don't yet stink, however they are only a few months (about 10 races old)

They must have built in odor eaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

You need to get a delivery or two in them boots, wear them 12- 16 hours a day for a couple of days them 30 hours non stop, if you are not breathing through your ears when you remove those boots I will be first in the queue for a pint of your lavender and eucalyptus potion.

• Advertisement

Vexorg wrote: »
    You need to get a delivery or two in them boots, wear them 12- 16 hours a day for a couple of days them 30 hours non stop, if you are not breathing through your ears when you remove those boots I will be first in the queue for a pint of your lavender and eucalyptus potion.

I think it's due to my being a lady and glowing :D Compared to pigs and men :D

I know your game, you're trying to volunteer me to deliver the boat to Cork week! HA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The gloves yes, weirdly my boots don't yet stink, however they are only a few months (about 10 races old)

They must have built in odor eaters.

Mine don't stink either and I've worn them for years and years. They didn't stink after a 3 day delivery during the hottest part of the summer last year when they were also brought on a hike through Kinsale.

I'd give the gloves a very gentle wash after each sail though.

There's nothing brings on seasickness so fast as the stink of rotting, fetid gear.. Especially when you're in the starting area looking at the AP with a big swell and no wind...

But in general I avoid washing anything waterproof any more than is strictly necessary in order to prolong its life... It only gets a washing when the smell lingers after I've changed and made it to the bar :P

Mine don't stink either and I've worn them for years and years. They didn't stink after a 3 day delivery during the hottest part of the summer last year when they were also brought on a hike through Kinsale.

I'd give the gloves a very gentle wash after each sail though.

There's nothing brings on seasickness so fast as the stink of rotting, fetid gear.. Especially when you're in the starting area looking at the AP with a big swell and no wind...

But in general I avoid washing anything waterproof any more than is strictly necessary in order to prolong its life... It only gets a washing when the smell lingers after I've changed and made it to the bar :P

You are obviously another lady :D

I now rinse out my gloves after each sail, same as I do with my dinghy gear (all of it)

With the water proof stuff, following advice from you and others I rinse it as needed :) I washed it once, it was a nightmare, now it's into the shower for a rinse with it

Have you seen the beers thread :)

Right I've ordered a pair of those gill OS2 trousers, not sure they are the exact ones, but am excitedly looking forward to them arriving and my entertaining the OH with my contortions seeing how they fit.

Right I've ordered a pair of those gill OS2 trousers, not sure they are the exact ones, but am excitedly looking forward to them arriving and my entertaining the OH with my contortions seeing how they fit.

Oh my goodness, DL to Howth and back today and while my new trousers rode up a bit when I was moving about, they were where they should be and not mid calve when I finished.

Delighted with them.

Today was the first time ever I've gone out for pleasure as opposed to racing, it was lovely, so peaceful, plenty of time to deal with issues, a few rough rides as we hit a squall, but never having sailed apart from to race, the sheer niceness of just heading of on a trip for fun was gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Sailing just for the sake of it is my type of sailing! No pressure of racing, just you and your boat, and probably some good company.

Don't get me wrong, racing has it moments, but just cruising along is what does it for me.

Conchir wrote: »
    Sailing just for the sake of it is my type of sailing! No pressure of racing, just you and your boat, and probably some good company.

Don't get me wrong, racing has it moments, but just cruising along is what does it for me.

It was simply wonderful, really enjoyed it. We've a few delivery days this year, so looking forward to those

Myself and the OH (on sufferance) watched that channel four series with Prunella Scales and her OH on canal cruising and decided we'd love to do that as a holiday.

My boat has gone back to white sails as we lost too many crew to stay in class one, so I've changed position, I'm now a trainee tactician :eek:

I do like the maths side of it (I work in IT) it seems to be a very logic based area, and no need to be the size of a gorilla to do it well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was it on here that you asked about a barge holiday? I did one of those years and years ago in England with my brother, and it was fabulous! Pootling along canals (top speed limit 4 kts) somewhere near the England/Wales border in fabulous countryside - including the highest aquaduct in the country (or something like that anyway - it was VERY high! And very narrow!!!) The boats were narrowboats as opposed to barges as such (two hitched together) - they were "hotel boats" - front one was the galley/dining boat, the rear one the accomodation - my brother's girlfriend at the time was the cook. Always meant to go and do it again, but sailing took over in the meantime.

Sorry to hear you're gone back to white sails again - such a shame, but happens a lot of boats these days. Just watch out for us at the first and second marks - you guys start five minutes behind us, and always manage to catch us up just as we're rounding a mark, and being twice our size cause maximum mayhem :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Was it on here that you asked about a barge holiday? I did one of those years and years ago in England with my brother, and it was fabulous! Pootling along canals (top speed limit 4 kts) somewhere near the England/Wales border in fabulous countryside - including the highest aquaduct in the country (or something like that anyway - it was VERY high! And very narrow!!!) The boats were narrowboats as opposed to barges as such (two hitched together) - they were "hotel boats" - front one was the galley/dining boat, the rear one the accomodation - my brother's girlfriend at the time was the cook. Always meant to go and do it again, but sailing took over in the meantime.

Sorry to hear you're gone back to white sails again - such a shame, but happens a lot of boats these days. Just watch out for us at the first and second marks - you guys start five minutes behind us, and always manage to catch us up just as we're rounding a mark, and being twice our size cause maximum mayhem :D

Dont think I've asked much about barge holidays before, we've our hols sorted for this year, but I'm definitely going to look into it, so may well pm you :)

I'm kinda glad we've gone back to whitesails, we never had enough crew for class one, and it was chaos tbh.

This year gives us the chance to settle, (especially for me in role like tactician) build up a crew and practice

Are you class cruisers 3b that you start five minutes behind us?

I'll keep a close eye out :)

Yep, I'll be C3B on Thursdays in our own boat (five minutes ahead of you!), and on a 31.7 on Saturdays (hopefully!)

Could have sworn you posted a question somewhere about barge holidays... must have dreamt it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep, I'll be C3B on Thursdays in our own boat (five minutes ahead of you!), and on a 31.7 on Saturdays (hopefully!)

Could have sworn you posted a question somewhere about barge holidays... must have dreamt it!

Back on board a few lines down you weren't dreaming ;)

fergal.b wrote: »
    Back on board a few lines down you weren't dreaming ;)

Phew! Haven't completely lost my marbles - yet!

Phew! Haven't completely lost my marbles - yet!

I obviously have :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Not sure if its the right place to post feel free to delete it
    For anyone who would like to take part in the Round Ireland Yacht race but doesn't have any experience, heres your chance.

http://www.sailing.ie/ISANews/tabid/115/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/59358/language/en-GB/Looking-For-An-Adventure.aspx

***Bargain Alert***

Polarised sunglasses in Aldi this Thursday!

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-17th-april/products-detail-page/ps/p/polarised-sunglasses/?pk_campaign=ie_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2014-04-14_17-20

Got these last year, and they're grand - I much prefer my VERY expensive designer ones - stock up and have them in reserve for when you sit on/lose/drop overboard/leave in the pub your good ones :D

You can't go far wrong for a fiver!

ETA - also plasters and such like that would be good for topping up the first-aid kit - when I nearly ripped my fingernail off last season with a spinny sheet, there was a 10-minute hunt all over the boat for the kit, which didn't contain plasters when it was eventually located :eek:

ETA - also plasters and such like that would be good for topping up the first-aid kit - when I nearly ripped my fingernail off last season with a spinny sheet, there was a 10-minute hunt all over the boat for the kit, which didn't contain plasters when it was eventually located :eek:

Oh god I nearly got sick a little at that.

Oh god I nearly got sick a little at that.

Not as much as I (and half the crew) did!!! The nail was absolutely fine in the end, but I still can't bend my index finger properly! Beware spinny sheets in big winds!!!

They also have mid layer fleeces and soft shell jackets. Both handy.

***Bargain Alert***

Polarised sunglasses in Aldi this Thursday!

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-17th-april/products-detail-page/ps/p/polarised-sunglasses/?pk_campaign=ie_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2014-04-14_17-20

Got these last year, and they're grand - I much prefer my VERY expensive designer ones - stock up and have them in reserve for when you sit on/lose/drop overboard/leave in the pub your good ones :D

You can't go far wrong for a fiver!

Great BA thanks :)

Going to stock up on plasters after that gruesome story!

• Advertisement

Shopping tomorrow. Off to aldi I go. Just noticed, they also have a waterproofing spray https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-17th-april/products-detail-page/ps/p/waterproofing-spray-1/

I tried reproofing stuff before with the gill spray and it worked for a bit but tbh the trousers were so bloody knackered I don't think much would have helped at all.

If anyone wants me to pick them up anything let me know before around 1030 tomorrow and I'll happily oblige.

Advertisement