Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

If anyone wants me to pick them up anything let me know before around 1030 tomorrow and I'll happily oblige.

few cases of beer for the good friday stash please :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    few cases of beer for the good friday stash please :D

Some of the craft beers in aldi are good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Now there's a thought...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Now there's a thought...

Apparently their Irish craft beers are made by one of the leading breweries here and just rebranded, can't remember who it is off the top of my head.

On boating/sailing related topics, I'm taking my tactician training quite seriously (I work in a very logical/process type job, so like planning and preparing)

I'm currently reading the North U book on tactics, and finding it very useful.

Vexorg, no comments!

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    On boating/sailing related topics, I'm taking my tactician training quite seriously (I work in a very logical/process type job, so like planning and preparing)

I'm currently reading the North U book on tactics, and finding it very useful.

Vexorg, no comments!

memorize the rule book and the case book.

memorize the rule book and the case book.

Uh oh, I have the rule book as a link that I review regularly, and this tactics book, not sure what you mean about the case book? (sorry for the ignorance)

http://www.sailing.org/documents/caseandcall/case-book.php

Arguably more important than the rule book as it shows you how the rules are interpreted in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You shoulda been at Prof's tactics/rules talk for the last few weeks - he was brilliant! (Prof O'Connell in case you haven't come across him, former olympic sailor, and brilliant and VERY entertaining teacher!)

His talks were really good - if you hear or come across any others in the future I'd highly recommend them.

(No, I'm not related to him :D)

http://www.sailing.org/documents/caseandcall/case-book.php

Arguably more important than the rule book as it shows you how the rules are interpreted in practice.

Thank you :)
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You shoulda been at Prof's tactics/rules talk for the last few weeks - he was brilliant! (Prof O'Connell in case you haven't come across him, former olympic sailor, and brilliant and VERY entertaining teacher!)

His talks were really good - if you hear or come across any others in the future I'd highly recommend them.

(No, I'm not related to him :D)

He's been out with us on training and racing days, he shouts a LOT :D, but you're right he is great for advice and guidance

I wanted to go to those sessions, but they were on Tuesdays, and I was travelling :(

If they come up again I'm definitely going!

• Advertisement

He was a bit calmer in the classroom on dry land - I've done onboard training with him before, and he's.... animated, I think would be the kind word to use. But oh my goodness, he's good!

He was a bit calmer in the classroom on dry land - I've done onboard training with him before, and he's.... animated, I think would be the kind word to use. But oh my goodness, he's good!

I think animated is kind lol, prone to rage is closer to it for me! I work as a trainer, and it's all about results and what works for you, and that seems to work for him :) Were I to employ those tactics in my classrooms I'd be seeing a P45, but it's a different situation :)

I'm looking forward to the first weekend of the summer season when we get videoed and have commentary afterwards, especially given it will be my second day as tactician. (I'm trying to figure out if I'm weird, I'm looking forward to seeing the wind forecasts, assessing potential courses on the basis of the forecast, working out tactics for the course, and adjusting)

I expect lots of ridicule regardless of it being prof or not.

I think animated is kind lol, prone to rage is closer to it for me! I work as a trainer, and it's all about results and what works for you, and that seems to work for him :) Were I to employ those tactics in my classrooms I'd be seeing a P45, but it's a different situation :)

I'm looking forward to the first weekend of the summer season when we get videoed and have commentary afterwards, especially given it will be my second day as tactician. (I'm trying to figure out if I'm weird, I'm looking forward to seeing the wind forecasts, assessing potential courses on the basis of the forecast, working out tactics for the course, and adjusting)

I expect lots of ridicule regardless of it being prof or not.

Yeah, we're hoping to do that this year - paid up last year but couldn't do it at the last minute :mad:

He showed us a few videos from it (along with lots of other ones) to illustrate his points - they were VERY useful.

We were hoping to do it with the crew that we're (also) hoping to have for Thursdays - but naturally enough, that's fallen apart already. Sign of things to come, methinks :D

Yeah, we're hoping to do that this year - paid up last year but couldn't do it at the last minute :mad:

He showed us a few videos from it (along with lots of other ones) to illustrate his points - they were VERY useful.

We were hoping to do it with the crew that we're (also) hoping to have for Thursdays - but naturally enough, that's fallen apart already. Sign of things to come, methinks :D

Is why we are back to whitesails, we have our basic crew, and are building a panel for want of a better word

our core crew work well together, we're all pretty calm, and it's a nice environment so we want to build on that.

Profs doing an on the water training session next weekend in the Irish. I did it last year and was brilliant. On the water doing rolling starts, sail trim and shape and then a video session ashore. If you can get on a boat doing it, its well worth it

Profs doing an on the water training session next weekend in the Irish. I did it last year and was brilliant. On the water doing rolling starts, sail trim and shape and then a video session ashore. If you can get on a boat doing it, its well worth it

That's what the last three posts were about.

Way aheadaya, boy :D:D

See you there!

That's what the last three posts were about.

Way aheadaya, boy :D:D

See you there!

i was drinking yesterday n had a very bad hangover this morning.

heres the vids from last years training weekend

I'm so looking forward to having my mistakes pointed out next week on video (NOT!)

Should be a good learning exercise though :)

First spin out of the season today, following launch last Wed - and what a day for it!

The mast stayed up, we didn't crash into anyone, the boat didn't sink, spinny went up and down in an orderly fashion (the tangled sheets were a minor glitch, out of practice!), the *^$&$*$^& *** outboard even worked!

Result :D

We managed to spill most of a bottle of wine while tacking and gybing in the lumpy water off the Muglins, but how and ever.

Good day all round!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

We managed to spill most of a bottle of wine while tacking and gybing in the lumpy water off the Muglins, but how and ever.
    That's not on at all - you'll have to do better I'm afraid.

I once had a crew member slip on a wet beermat in the bar, land on a stool, tumble backwards, fall head over heel down the steps of the pub into the main street in a rainy race week in Scotland. All with a full beer in her hand and she didn't spill a drop.
    Well I trained her, yes. (yoda voice) :D

:D:D

First spin out of the season today, following launch last Wed - and what a day for it!

The mast stayed up, we didn't crash into anyone, the boat didn't sink, spinny went up and down in an orderly fashion (the tangled sheets were a minor glitch, out of practice!), the *^$&$*$^& *** outboard even worked!

Result :D

Good day all round!

Not sailing hard enough if you had time to even open it :D

Thinking of sitting this season out, myself.

Not sailing hard enough if you had time to even open it :D

Thinking of sitting this season out, myself.

Ah here, we were out on a jolly! First one in years - quite a novelty not to be racing, although I couldn't quite get the "that jib isn't in enough, main should be up on the traveller etc etc etc" out of my head!

And we did have one person dedicated to tacking the wine cooler (bucket full of seawater) while we beat our way down through Dalkey Sound :D It all went a bit astray when we pointed back up towards DL harbour, hoisted the spinny (complete with tangled mangled sheets), water got lumpy, wine got opened and the nibbles were produced. Far too many jobs for too few hands :D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anyways... all looking good for Thursday?

It'll be nice to get back into it, all rugby'd out and need a change of scenery! :D

Steve wrote: »
    Anyways... all looking good for Thursday?

It'll be nice to get back into it, all rugby'd out and need a change of scenery! :D

Oh yeah!

See you at the first mark, no doubt - you guys always catch us up - give us a wide berth, it's been a long time since we did a bear-away set!

(God help us - and anyone nearby - if it turns out to be a gybe-set :eek:)

Oh yeah!

See you at the first mark, no doubt - you guys always catch us up - give us a wide berth, it's been a long time since we did a bear-away set!

(God help us - and anyone nearby - if it turns out to be a gybe-set :eek:)

****e wind forecast for Thurs, five gusting to seven, will be a short course with windward start?

****e wind forecast for Thurs, five gusting to seven, will be a short course with windward start?

Where are you seeing that forecast? Any I'm looking at are showing fairly light winds for Thurs evening....although it's a bit far out to depend on any forecast yet!

Starts should (esp off a committee boat) be to windward. The hut is a different case as start directions are restricted - although new start mark this year should give a bit more flexibility.

Windy nights should mean longer courses! Well they do when I'm setting them, anyway :D

Where are you seeing that forecast? Any I'm looking at are showing fairly light winds for Thurs evening....although it's a bit far out to depend on any forecast yet!

Starts should (esp off a committee boat) be to windward. The hut is a different case as start directions are restricted - although new start mark this year should give a bit more flexibility.

Windy nights should mean longer courses! Well they do when I'm setting them, anyway :D

Windguru yesterday, now changed to 9 gusting to 13 at 19:00 Thursday, thought meteireann now have it at 7-17 depending on how you interpret their colouring

Our start is off Maclir (think that's the right name)

I remember one Saturday last year starting off the hut, and there was no wind, boats literally just drifting around the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cricalix

I remember one Saturday last year starting off the hut, and there was no wind, boats literally just drifting around the place!
    I remember one of those starts, though it may have been the year before. Classes ahead of us got off the line. 3 minutes to the Ruffian start and nary a breath of wind; we simply couldn't even get over the line within the required start time. Ended up going back to the club and having a cuppa.

• Advertisement

I've seen anchors thrown out on the hut start on particularly calm nights :D

Advertisement