Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cricalix

Yeah, pretty sure white sails didn't go. Everything "fast" was left to run, the rest cancelled.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Finally got back dinghy sailing this evening, it was quite pleasant :)

However my upper body is now in bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Norra lorra wind out there tonight. ......

Where's Fergal and his big FO engines when you need him?:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I'm not sure about a big FO engine but I hope to take the little baby out for her first spin on saturday it won't be on the Liffey but it will be the same water :)

20140515_180610_zps874063ce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Tuesday and Wednesday in Howth both cancelled due to lack of wind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

For those who don't want to fork out on a GoPro or Countour Cam, aldi have a version in from today: https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-15th-may/products-detail-page/ps/p/action-camcorder-ac-500-touch/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It was actually better than expected in the end :)

Stheno wrote: »
    It was actually better than expected in the end :)

It was - and we beat Asterix- good night all round.

In fact, great night all round :D May we have many more of them!

It was - and we beat Asterix- good night all round.

In fact, great night all round :D May we have many more of them!

Well done!

We won our class for the first time since we have started sailing, both first over the line, and first in IRC and ECHO.

It was brilliant, we'd a bottle of champagne in the fridge for the "first over the line" occasion which was duly consumed :)

Superb evening just to get out though :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

We won our class

:cool:

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    :cool:

We're getting there, roll on our new sails :)

We'd a new guy join us for the evening, who commented that we were a very calm crew, took care of the guys on the rail, let them know where we were going, what marks to look out for, and advance notice of tacks/gybes.

I'm saying this as Steve is now probably rolling around the floor crying with laughter at such a statement, having spent some time with us in less happy times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oystercatcher

it's fantastic to win, but whoever is talking about the crew being calm should come back in a force four, with a third sail throw in for good measure.

it's fantastic to win, but whoever is talking about the crew being calm should come back in a force four, with a third sail throw in for good measure.

Four? Psh, that's grand sailing weather. They'd be grand. 5 gusting a 7 on the other hand is where anyone new starts getting very high pitched when they ask about how strong exactly is the wind??

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oystercatcher

Let's not get over ambitious now, 5 gusting 7 would be screaming pandemonium. But they did great last night.

Calves Week featuring on Seascapes this evening, 10.30pm, RTE1.

Anyone else going?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Calves Week featuring on Seascapes this evening, 10.30pm, RTE1.

Anyone else going?

thought about but no where to drop a boat in and accommodation is a fortune for the week. Its a bigger boat with berths regatta. I did it back on 2000 for the 1st few days when it was a drinking session with a sailing interruption and it moved around the harbours. Think now its all schull based.

40 foot yacht missing in Atlantic :(

The search was called off after only two days!

Families must be devastated not knowing what's happened.
    A search has been called off for four Britons missing in the Atlantic after their yacht began taking in water.

The men were taking the Cheeki Rafiki 40ft performance racer-cruiser to the UK after a Caribbean regatta.

Contact was lost early on Friday. It is thought they could have moved to a life raft after capsizing.

Southampton charter firm Stormforce Coaching said it was "devastated" the US Coast Guard-organised air and sea search had ended "so soon".

US Coast Guard spokesman Rob Simpson said it had "saturated the area" in a two-day search and "we would have found them" if it had been possible.

The Royal Yachting Association named the four crew members as Paul Goslin, 56, from West Camel, Somerset, Steve Warren, 52, from Bridgwater, Somerset, Andrew Bridge, 21, from Farnham, Surrey, and 23-year-old James Male, from Southampton. It described all four as "very experienced offshore yachtsmen".
    Cheeki Rafiki The yacht, seen here in a photograph issued by the Royal Yachting Association, took part in Antigua Sailing Week

The crew ran into difficulties on Thursday while returning from Antigua Sailing Week.

They were delivering the vessel back after it participated in the week - one of the world's top regattas - when it started taking on water.
    'Lost contact'

Stormforce director Doug Innes said: "We were in contact with the skipper and at the time the yacht and crew were keeping the situation stable.

"They had not been able to ascertain where the water ingress was from and were diverting to the Azores.

"Unfortunately we lost contact during the early hours of Friday morning and we believe it is possible the crew abandoned to the life raft."

Three US and Canadian aircraft and three merchant vessels looked for them on Friday and Saturday 1,000 miles east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Mr Innes said the search efforts had been "exceptional" but the company was "devastated that the search has now been called off so soon".

The RYA said typical supplies on a life raft would include survival suits, water, food, flares and a first aid kit.

In a press release, the US Coast Guard said the search area had involved approximately 4,146 square miles and it was "extremely disappointed" not to have found the sailors.

Winds were said to have been blowing at more than 50mph, the sea reached heights of up to 20ft and visibility was reduced to under a mile.

"It is extremely challenging to respond to a distress case so far off shore, which is why it takes a joint effort with our international partners to put forward an effective search," it said.

US coast guard officer Rob Simpson told the BBC on Sunday that the yacht's locator beacons had been activated, providing it with some "general GPS co-ordinates".

He said they had not been able to link any debris found to the Cheeki Rafiki, but an overturned hull had been spotted by a container ship involved in the search "that did look like it may have been the sailing vessel". However, the ship did not stop to inspect the hull because nobody was seen on board.

Aircraft and ships travelling through the area have been alerted to the missing yacht, he added.

Costs was not a factor in the decision to call off the search, which would only restart if new information came to light, he said.

The Foreign Office confirmed it was aware of the missing yacht.

"We are in contact with the US Coastguard and have offered consular assistance to the families."

40 foot yacht missing in Atlantic :(

The search was called off after only two days!

Families must be devastated not knowing what's happened.

:-/

Most likely the boat was sinking and they tried to get into the raft... big seas, big winds, raft fecked, them gone. Sad, but the best place in winds like that is on the boat and if the boat's gone you only have a little rubber ring with a lid basically. Couple of bad breaking waves and it's gone too.

Petition to get the USCG back searching, for anyone who's interested:

http://sailinganarchy.com/2014/05/19/bad-times/

Whacked my knee off the guardrail last week, so am rather crippled, and didn't get to go out today.

Still, the lads done good :)

And I've invented a new term for the vital importance of those crew there to simply act as ballast.

They perform the important function of "rail lepping" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

You should have come as a passenger, it was a lovely night.

Vexorg wrote: »
    You should have come as a passenger, it was a lovely night.

Believe me, after my trip to bring out the sat nav etc, i was seriously tempted

I could have had a few g and ts :D

Told ye ye'd win!!! And so did we! (on ECHO, we'll get that bloody Gung Ho on IRC yet......) It was a great night after all - I was expecting honking winds and pissing rain, so was VERY pleasantly surprised at how it turned out.

And in news other than DBSC racing....

Another useful tool in the arsenal of information for racing - posted by RNLI this evening

"Here's a great service for Dublin Bay users via the Commisioners of Irish Lights on Twitter by following @DublinBayBuoy for latest weather conditions at the Dublin Port safe water navigation buoy."

Could be useful for anyone out and about on the water.

Told ye ye'd win!!! And so did we! (on ECHO, we'll get that bloody Gung Ho on IRC yet......) It was a great night after all - I was expecting honking winds and pissing rain, so was VERY pleasantly surprised at how it turned out.

And in news other than DBSC racing....

Another useful tool in the arsenal of information for racing - posted by RNLI this evening

"Here's a great service for Dublin Bay users via the Commisioners of Irish Lights on Twitter by following @DublinBayBuoy for latest weather conditions at the Dublin Port safe water navigation buoy."

Could be useful for anyone out and about on the water.
    Jaypers, been a fierce good night for Boards sailors, congrats to you guys!

I'll be adding that link to my twitter, I've a windows phone, and have the round the cans app, am thinking of picking up a cheap smartphone to use when racing to use the app, and the start/stop app too.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

I got a Summer job instructing sorted today! July and August looking good now :D

Conchir wrote: »
    I got a Summer job instructing sorted today! July and August looking good now :D

Good for you mate! Where are you based if you don't mind me asking?

@HeidiHeidi

Well done on your win, we were sure we had lost out to another boat, could not see its name and I think the sail number was 8340, was sure it was flying the yellow and blue class flag. Came in maybe a minute or so ahead of us. I forgot about checking the boat out in the harbour when we dropped and bagged the main.

@Conchir - great news.. Are you training in Dun Laoghaire by any chance?

@HeidiHeidi

Well done on your win, we were sure we had lost out to another boat, could not see its name and I think the sail number was 8340, was sure it was flying the yellow and blue class flag. Came in maybe a minute or so ahead of us. I forgot about checking the boat out in the harbour when we dropped and bagged the main.

@Conchir - great news.. Are you training in Dun Laoghaire by any chance?

Tsk, this is what happens when you try to kill your tactician who knows all the sail numbers :p I bet you couldn't recite the sail numbers of our main competitors

Conchir is a Northside sailor!

Of course I could, (sneaks off to DBSC results page to find numbers)... ahem.

Oh and of late I find that tacticians have become very fragile, it is my duty to toughen them up,.
    Tsk, this is what happens when you try to kill your tactician who knows all the sail numbers :p I bet you couldn't recite the sail numbers of our main competitors
    Conchir is a Northside sailor!
    Yes I forgot - up to my knees in broken tacticians here, I was distracted.

• Advertisement

Of course I could, (sneaks off to DBSC results page to find numbers)... ahem.

Oh and of late I find that tacticians have become very fragile, it is my duty to toughen them up,.

Yes I forgot - up to my knees in broken tacticians here, I was distracted.

Tacticians are delicate creatures, to be wrapped in tinfoil and minded.

NOT as happened last weekend, to be manhandled like an unnecessary encumbrance!

You trimmers have no consideration at all for us small creatures, who ultimately decide what you need to do, and in crewboss capacity, tell you what's coming up.

/Sniff, /CRIES, I feel unloved, and am injured!

Advertisement