Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Stheno wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the DBSC series splits?

i.e. when the first half is over and it moves into the second half?

Next week is the last week of the first series

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Next week is the last week of the first series

For both Sat and Thurs?

We are doing diabolically on Sat, but 1st/2nd in Thurs :D

For both Sat and Thurs?

We are doing diabolically on Sat, but 1st/2nd in Thurs :D

No, the Saturday series splits much later as they run all through September, Thursdays finish at the end of August.

Saturday series 1 finishes 26th July.

We're 1st/2nd on Thursdays as well - nail-biting times!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What a weird day...

Well done to Warrior for securing a pot!

Steve wrote: »
    What a weird day...

Indeed! Glad to see someone flying the flag for boardsies boats, cos we sure as hell didn't!

Here's hoping for a bit more puff tomorrow.

ETA no idea where the "thumbs down" came from.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Here's hoping for a bit more puff tomorrow.

Windguru says no unfortunately... 5kts gusting to a whole 7 around midday. :(

Windguru says no unfortunately... 5kts gusting to a whole 7 around midday. :(

I saw that, and am sorry I did! Can but live in hope of sea breezes... Even though the wind died at 1pm today, harumph.

It may be a very frustrating day tomorrow......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What a weird day...

pot?

pot?
    Prize! :)

Prize! :)

We did something we've never done before, and used the handicaps to track our closest rivals and coming in thought we were second in both, but possibly first in echo by a matter of seconds.

21 seconds in the difference.

Tomorrow is about fixing those mistakes that cost us 3-5 seconds here and there! Much post race analysis of what those were and a general consensus reached.

And the idiot tactician managed to put in a passable performance and made a few good calls! :D

Racing aside, it was one of those days that was made to be on the water, barring a bit more wind :)

• Advertisement

You got a second and a first..

http://cruiserracing.ie/icranats/racing/results/

No socks, just as well, they look like they're full of fiber - I'd never be able to eat a whole pair of them...

You got a second and a first..

http://cruiserracing.ie/icranats/racing/results/

No socks, just as well, they look like they're full of fiber - I'd never be able to eat a whole pair of them...

I predicted a second in both due to the first race being so close, was delighted to be wrong!

Going up to the results and seeing the first (even if it was echo) was kinda cool :)

Not bad results to be taking into four more races, with a discard to boot. Waiting for our ECHO handicap to be walloped, but hard to argue it with a 1 and 2 in both ECHO and IRC

Tomorrow the wind is northerly, so hopefully will be a little more helpful than today :)

No, the Saturday series splits much later as they run all through September, Thursdays finish at the end of August.

Saturday series 1 finishes 26th July.

We're 1st/2nd on Thursdays as well - nail-biting times!!!
    Not that I am doubting you, but the reason I asked on here is that for the life of us, we couldn't find this info anywhere on the packs we were sent out.

Is it just local knowledge? It's our first time racing Thursdays :)

Not that I am doubting you, but the reason I asked on here is that for the life of us, we couldn't find this info anywhere on the packs we were sent out.

Is it just local knowledge? It's our first time racing Thursdays :)

Dates are in the DBSC handbook (page 5)

That was by far the nicest evening for a sail this year!

That was by far the nicest evening for a sail this year!

I didn't get out as I had a college assignment to do :eek:

Still I got last weekends regatta, and I was out on combined committee boat/safety boat last night and it was super :)

Not sure I'm a fan of sitting in a rib for an hour and a half though!

We got pipped to the finish by about 10 seconds :mad:

What were they thinking of, sending us on two legs of 1.4 miles and then 1.8 miles in that wind :confused:

Feck's sake.

What were they thinking of, sending us on two legs of 1.4 miles and then 1.8 miles in that wind :confused:

Feck's sake.

Was there hardly any wind?

I got to do assistant RO in Swords last night, it was a real insight into how they set courses in bad wind (was about four knots)

Loads of short legs, and everyone completed. It was actually very enjoyable being on the committee boat, but a fair bit of work, two of us dealing with twenty plus boats!

Chap who was RO was a former fireball national champ, and gave out stink about ROs pissing him off

Feck's sake.

Yeah, bad form alright. They did apologize over the radio at the end - scant consolation though.
    Was there hardly any wind?
    6-10 kts, less if you gybed in towards the finish near turning earlier rather than later on the last downwind (we stayed out - wohoo!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They wanted to shorten the white sails course but we had rounded the second last mark by then so they couldn't. Had a good race but lost out on IRC handicap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Feck's sake.

As we say in Howth, thats a typical Dun Laoghaire course. looks like they were just keeping their reputation up

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-27932418

"Speedboat death wife Victoria Milligan in kill cord plea"

A timely reminder from the Coastguard today.

Can never be repeated too often.

Wear a kill cord at all times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

neris wrote: »
    As we say in Howth, thats a typical Dun Laoghaire course. looks like they were just keeping their reputation up

If I had a Guinness for every quarter of an hour I've stood on and off Lambay on HYC-set courses, you'd have to call me Lady Patricia!:P

If I had a Guinness for every quarter of an hour I've stood on and off Lambay on HYC-set courses, you'd have to call me Lady Patricia!:P

Ever spend much time milling about the start line waiting to see how long it took the Class 1 boats to reach the first mark?

Was a feature last year in Howth in light winds

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

wasnt sailing this weekend but great to see the old 1720s back in a decent fleet in Howth. All travelled far (apart from the dun laoghaire boat) so great turn out and good fleets of j24 & j80s

Well how about that for a fabulous day's sailing on Saturday? Where were ye all??? It was total champagne sailing weather, and a fabulous day was had by all (not at all helped by us winning a prize!!!) Very good night had by all as well :D

If the other clubs can pull off weather like that then we'll have quite a few weekends to look forward to.

Now, maybe one of you can help me out here, and save me trawling this thread (if the post I'm looking for is even on this thread!) for the next few hours.....

Someone posted somewhere a video of some superyotties racing, where a guy climbed up the downhaul to spike the spinny for the drop. I'd meant to send it to our bowman (my BIL) at the time but completely forgot. Can anyone give me a hint (or even better, a link!) to where it is? Cheers :D

(I don't mean anyone to go trawling on my behalf, btw! I'll do that if I have to - but if the poster can identify themselves it'll save me bucketloads of time)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Looked like great sailing weather - we were on the marina prepping the boat for Cork Week.

Cannot help with the video. Sorry.

Vexorg wrote: »
    Looked like great sailing weather - we were on the marina prepping the boat for Cork Week.

Cannot help with the video. Sorry.

Oooh, when are you off to Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Boat is going down next weekend.

Ps congrats on the prize:)

• Advertisement

Vexorg wrote: »
    Boat is going down next weekend.

Ps congrats on the prize:)

Thanks - we were VERY pleased with ourselves!!

Looking like nice weather for the delivery - I'd be filling up on diesel though :D

Advertisement