Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Now, maybe one of you can help me out here, and save me trawling this thread (if the post I'm looking for is even on this thread!) for the next few hours.....

Someone posted somewhere a video of some superyotties racing, where a guy climbed up the downhaul to spike the spinny for the drop. I'd meant to send it to our bowman (my BIL) at the time but completely forgot. Can anyone give me a hint (or even better, a link!) to where it is? Cheers :D

(I don't mean anyone to go trawling on my behalf, btw! I'll do that if I have to - but if the poster can identify themselves it'll save me bucketloads of time)
    I didn't post it originally, but being Bowman myself I think the link below is what you're after!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBwKP8VjngA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

They're so biiiiiiigggg....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I didn't post it originally, but being Bowman myself I think the link below is what you're after!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBwKP8VjngA

Hurray! Thanks a mill - well remembered!

Equally jaw-dropping second time round viewing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Started work instructing on Monday. Just hoping the weather stays as it is, although it looks like it's to rain later in the week :( my feet are already cut from my boots two days in :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks - we were VERY pleased with ourselves!!

Looking like nice weather for the delivery - I'd be filling up on diesel though :D

Congrats!

Am on that delivery this Friday, my work colleagues have decided I am stone wall mad to be heading onto a boat at 11pm to sail for 14 hours lol

Had the joy of viewing a few videos of our racing recently, and observing myself, while it's useful for identifying ways you can improve, I just cannot stand the sight of myself on camera :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Off in a couple of hours on a delivery.

Vast quantities of food to take on board: Check
    Dinner eaten: Check
    2nd dinner planned pre boarding: Check

Seems sailing is all about the eating :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stheno wrote: »
    Seems sailing is all about the eating :)
    Mostly - you will also learn the value of sleep :)

Safe trip young padwan :D

Enjoy the trip, mind you don't get run over by the Round Ireland boats that will be setting off tomorrow :D

Steve wrote: »

And tea. Must have tea and many coats....

Steve wrote: »

Thank you jedi knight:D

I did learn the value of sleep, getting up at 5am, working until almost six pm and thinking a cat nap was not required was a bad bad mistake.

Enjoy the trip, mind you don't get run over by the Round Ireland boats that will be setting off tomorrow :D
    Ah we were in Kilmore quay by 2pm :) good time we thought, so they never came near us :0
    And tea. Must have tea and many coats....

MANY layers, I had on three long/short sleeved tees, a fleece and my foulie jacket, and was cold :( Put on another fleece and I was still cold especially early morning

I did think about taking my thermals, decided not to, and will always in future! And tea at least once every two hours :)

Was a great trip, learned loads of stuff:

1. Eat more
    2. Value sleep
    3. Bring thermals
    4. Bring stuff for those times when you are slightly bored and want a distraction, e.g books.

We had on harnesses/lifelines during the night, and it was interesting for me, I've a dislike (not a fear or phobia, more a dislike) of being on the leeward side of the boat on a reach/beat, but having the harness clipped on gave me loads more confidence, I've a thing in my head that I will go over, so it got me over that. May wear it a time or two more to get better balance given the fear is gone if that makes sense?

I got to do loads of stuff I'd never normally due as I'm a 10 stone weakling compared to the rest of the crew, mainsheet, jib trim, reefing, twas fun :)

learned how to read a chart (ish), learned about colonials (think that's the right spelling) and how to tell if you are at the N/S/E/W one, recognising who has rights at night, loads of stuff.

Twas fun, was a bit knackered this afternoon, we'd far stronger wind than predicted, was forecast to gust to 22 and gusted to 29 at times on our instruments with 3 knots of tide against us, so it was fairly choppy for a couple of hours.

Then when we got into Kilmore quay, it was low tide, low spring tide at that, and just as we approached the marina exit, there was a giant fishing trawler that appeared to be moored in the wrong place, so we went briefly aground, but got away again by all us crew hanging out over the side :)

We've Cork week now next week (Jul. 7) as the second crew are delivering from Kilmore to Crosshaven tonight, then the plan is a 27 hour trip back on the boat :eek: to Dublin

I forgot to add: Goddamn whoever designed the Benneatau first series with the head in the bow. In choppy seas today, and needing to use it, it was like being in a padded cell without the padding, I can feel the bruises rising :(

• Advertisement

Actually two questions I had from today:

1. In terms of rest, is it ok given that crew kip wherever they can in limited space to bring your own blankie/pillow/eye blackout thing so you get rest?

2. For the likes of the Round Ireland, do they race 24 hours a day, and if they do, what sort of watches are they on? Four on four off for a crew of eight, with a fairly strict adherence to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Bring you blankie/pillow/whatever helps you sleep. Girly pink might be ok, and you might be slagged for the color, not the item. Build up the maximum amount of sleep to hold in reserve. Photos exist of me asleep on the weather deck. Get the zzzzzzzzzzs, whenever you can. If you are not on watch after the start of an offshore go below and get zzzzs. Get zzzzzs.

Races go on round the clock - a good skipper will try to ensure that the off-watch crew gets sufficient rest; not always possible, so just as you are in the middle of a dream about a dry bed you will be woken to do something involving wet and uncomfortable. The skip has to get the balance right, a tired crew cannot perform well.

Never relax, always be prepared. We once won an ISORA that finished in Howth because we had gybed and taken down our spinnaker after Lambay and had it ready to be hoisted again if needed. It was, and we won by two seconds.

Colonials has me scratching the head - ?? :confused:

Heads – not only the Benneteau, happens in all boats. The danger is when the boat moves sideways and drops faster than the contents of the bowl.

A trick we always utilised is to get a Tupperware container, half fill with segments of orange, brown sugar and a good dollop of brandy. Leave in the forepeak; dessert ready when you arrive.:)

Have a great time in Cork, best of luck for the podium!

Cardinals! Took me a bit, but I reckon that's what she meant.

Bow heads - oh yes, I've been there. I wear a back brace while racing, which requires two hands to do up - I've spent embarrassingly long times in the forward heads figuring out when I can afford to let go with both hands to do the thing up without getting bounced off the ceiling. I haven't always got it right :eek:

Watches - depends on the skipper(s). I've done the Round Ireland, and a couple of Fastnets - all on the same boat. We did 3x4 hour watches between 8pm and 8am, and 2x6 hours between 8am to 8pm. Meant you (in theory) got one long sleep, and because there was an odd number of watches in a 24-hour period you weren't on the same ones day after day. That's definitely my preference, all other things being equal. But very rarely are things equal in long offshores! And oh yes, you race 24/7 on the Round Ireland, believe me!!!

Night sailing is an experience the first time - it's so totally different to daylight sailing. Last night trip I did a few weeks ago I was on watch alone coming up past Tuskar/Rosslare/Wexford, and the whole bloody SE fishing fleet seemed to be out that night careering around the place - it was a nightmare (pardon the pun!).

Oops! is all I can say to the KQ entry.... but it's not as if we all haven't nearly been there - I think that's up with the trickiest of entries I've done anywhere, especially in any kind of a blow.

You'll enjoy the trip back twice as much, now that you've that one under your belt. And yes, bring your blankie, your pillow, and whatever else makes it a bit comfier :D And sleep whenever, wherever you can!

Anyone else following the Round Ireland online?

Is Coningbeg a mark of the course? Looks like it on the course shown on the website, and from memory it is (but it's been a long time! ), but if it is (and if the trackers are showing accurately), looks to me very much like the Newstalk boat went inside it.... :eek:

That's a lot of " ifs", I know, but could be interesting. ...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'm keeping an eye on it.
    Seems tight enough so far.

Coningbeg was meant to be left to starboard in the 2012 rules (page 9) - http://www.roundirelandyachtrace.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Race-Information-Website.pdf

and as far as I know the course hasn't changed.

I'm keeping an eye on it.
    Seems tight enough so far.

Coningbeg was meant to be left to starboard in the 2012 rules (page 9) - http://www.roundirelandyachtrace.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Race-Information-Website.pdf

and as far as I know the course hasn't changed.

They're wonderfully simple course instructions, aren't they! :D

"Leave Ireland and all its islands excluding Rockall to starboard." That's it, plain and simple!

But is Coningbeg an island? I don't even know if it uncovers. (I don't even know what it is! I'm assuming a rock.)

The course, as drawn on the tracker, certainly seems to imply it should be left to starboard, but I cannot possibly imagine the skipper/navigator of an Open 60 getting something like that wrong :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

They are a beautiful set of sailing instructions, simple, clear and to the point.

There's a more detailed list of things to leave to starboard on page 9, it clearly lists Coningbeg Light Buoy as something which is to be left to starboard.

The tracker seems to draw straight lines between reporting times which are a half hour - hour apart. I'd say Newstalk went outside the buoy but because of their position before and afterwards it looks like they didn't and cut a corner of the course.

They are a beautiful set of sailing instructions, simple, clear and to the point.

There's a more detailed list of things to leave to starboard on page 9, it clearly lists Coningbeg Light Buoy as something which is to be left to starboard.

The tracker seems to draw straight lines between reporting times which are a half hour - hour apart. I'd say Newstalk went outside the buoy but because of their position before and afterwards it looks like they didn't and cut a corner of the course.

You'd know I wasn't in charge of the SI's when I did it, wouldn't you :D

Hadn't read that far.

Now the question is, how accurate is that tracker/course outline, and can the track actually be relied on? I'm assuming the Race Office have an accurate picture of things.....

You'd know I wasn't in charge of the SI's when I did it, wouldn't you :D

Hadn't read that far.

Now the question is, how accurate is that tracker/course outline, and can the track actually be relied on? I'm assuming the Race Office have an accurate picture of things.....

I wasn't the only one asking :D

Explanation posted on the race website (which is exactly the same as Phoenix Parker's one - fair play!)
    The tracker system works by taking a GPS position from each yacht every 30 minutes. It then joins the two dots formed by the 30 minute interval into a connected line. Accordingly the true course of the boat is not precisely that as shown on the tracker system but a summary of the positions fixed every half hour. Between the half hour readings the boat has probably gone around the course mark and then started on its next leg, but this is not recorded by the tracker as it occurred during the dormant tracker period.
    It is for this reason that trackers are not permitted to be used as the basis for a protest, but isn’t it a fantastic safety feature that we can see where every boat is to within 30 minutes.

But is Coningbeg an island? I don't even know if it uncovers. (I don't even know what it is! I'm assuming a rock.)
    It is a rock, a large pointy and very hard one - seas break on it in bad weather. There used to be a lightvessel on station there, then I seem to recall a LANBY buoy. CIL now have a big Cardinal Marker smart bouy there, complete with AIS and weather station. (put coningbeg in box on link).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cricalix

Spiking that spinny.. nope nope nope nope.

Btw, if you competed in the DMYC regatta, let me know via PM (or publicly :) ) any feedback that you feel is important for us to know for two years hence. If it wasn't obvious, that bit of paper with the first prize caps needs to be filled in and sent to the office.

Stheno wrote: »
    ...........learned how to read a chart (ish), learned about colonials (think that's the right spelling) and how to tell if you are at the N/S/E/W one, recognising who has rights at night, loads of stuff.
    Cardinals! Took me a bit, but I reckon that's what she meant.

Nearly missed that! Light dawns! Definitions : Colonials are strange people with straw hats, outmoded ideas and drink pink gin; Cardinals are strange people with silk hats, outmoded ideas and drink altar wine. Not much difference really.

(For Stheno, to be known henceforth as ‘Compass Rose.’:D)

Nearly missed that! Light dawns! Definitions : Colonials are strange people with straw hats, outmoded ideas and drink pink gin; Cardinals are strange people with silk hats, outmoded ideas and drink altar wine. Not much difference really.

(For Stheno, to be known henceforth as ‘Compass Rose.’:D)

Lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Vexorg wrote: »
    Congrats, put up some pics so we can be envious.:)

Just finalising the purchase of the boat. :D

Here's two photos. Any excuse to show off.

k3dcy.jpg

zmf5u.jpg

That's me in the second one, far right, with the stripey top.

Sniff. Looks like a real summer there, wherever there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sniff. Looks like a real summer there, wherever there is.

Be careful what you wish for - it's 41 degrees outside right now. :cool:

Those pictures were taken earlier this year when it was in the early 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

That looks great, careful you may have a queue of people wanting to holiday with you... :)

RNLI crews to be interviewed this morning on the Sean O'Rourke show (sometime between now and 12pm).

Only heard the blurb, so I don't know what exactly the "agenda" is, but could be interesting.

update? did you hear it? this is a strictly newstalk office :P

• Advertisement

update? did you hear it? this is a strictly newstalk office :P

I did, they had one guy who was involved in the rescue of multiple people about two weeks ago from rocks and a cave - can't remember where it was but East Coast somewhere I think. And a lady from Lough Derg who's the helm of the lifeboat there talking about the dangers of inland waterways. And another guy from Irish Water Safety.

Was in the context of the appalling number of drownings lately, and the good weather leading to fears of even more. A lot of lifejacket talk, let people know where/when you're going, respect the water and tides etc. Fairly standard stuff, but should be compulsory listening to anyone who ever goes within 100 yards of any water. ie the whole bloody country!

Advertisement