Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi panAC and welcome, there is a Men's shed in Dunlaoghaire it might be worth giving them a shout https://www.facebook.com/dunlaoghairemensshed or maybe you could ask around and see if someone has a garage they could rent to you. The problem with workshops is the insurance wont cover them to let just anyone use their machines.
    Check out "Dun Laoghaire college of further education" I think "Courses 4u" do a boat building and maintenance course there.
    If you need any other help with the boat just ask I'm sure we can help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PanAC

Thanks Fergal,
    This Winter I started a basic woodwork course with Dun Laoghaire college of further education. They have a great workshop, all the tools benches etc. but no access outside class hours. Great instructor, and I've picked his brains about local paossibilities, but no leads!
    I'll contact the ManShed bunch, I'm sure they have some ideas... Sure there is a great sense of helping here on "Boards" There are thousands of questions I need to ask, and at this stage I don't know what I don't know! (Yet).
    Thanks again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I built my boats outside just under a lean to I know of others that use sheets of plastic or a pop up gazebo :) As for tools you can do most jobs with a saw, hammer, screwdriver and sandpaper so don't be too worried about finding a workshop, Iidl have a japanese saw for €9.99 this week it is a very handy and versatile saw,worth the few quid.

Tonight Great canal journeys on Channel 4Timothy West and Prunella Scales cruising the Shannon Erne Waterway, should be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

PanAc
    Argus and the twin’s aldi and lidl; have some good quality tools.
    Maybe not good enough for the tradesman, but good enough for any fellow’ starting even a fairly big project; get insurance, from Argus’ and they will exchange tool without any questions.
    If you saw; the condition that I have brought tools back, and got then replaced, you’d say that fellow has a neck like a giraffe. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

fergal.b wrote: »
    Tonight Great canal journeys on Channel 4Timothy West and Prunella Scales cruising the Shannon Erne Waterway, should be worth a look.

Love this show and watch it every week, first fifteen minutes so far this evening are a fantastic showcase for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

so channel 4 next Sunday is Million Pound Gin PlacesMega Yachts. Should be depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

neris wrote: »
    so channel 4 next Sunday is Million Pound Gin PlacesMega Yachts. Should be depressing.
    Hmmm - interesting!

I wonder

a) will there be any sailing yachts featured? There's plenty multi-million-pounders among their numbers. I suspect not.

and b) will any of those boats I saw in St. Tropez earlier this year feature? There were a few beauties, and a LOT of beasts.

I'll be tuning in anyway, cheers for the heads up :D

Oh gawd, I'm not even halfway through this and I'm already nearly in tears!

I'll have to try to find the rest of the series online somewhere - I had no idea there would be so much more than just canal-tripping to it.

And as Stheno said, what a wonderful ad for Ireland while they're at it!

Enjoyed that shame they didn't get better weather for it but that's Ireland for you.
    Not sure about next weeks show yet but I'll know on Tuesday ,,,,,, the Euromillions is €110 million so I might just splash out on one :D

• Advertisement

Yer man looks like he just crash-lands the boat bow-to everywhere he arrives! And someone on land takes a stern line and finishes the job :D

"You pour quite generous whiskeys, don't you?"

"Yes, sorry...."

"That's alright, we'll manage"

:D:D:D

I might need to start another thread on this - it's full of absolute gems!

Canal boats aint cheap to rent for a week. Had a quick look at some sites for next summer and over £1000 for a small 4-6 berth

Also thursday not quite boats but george clarke has a programme on house boats at 8 on C4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Canal boats aint cheap to rent for a week. Had a quick look at some sites for next summer and over £1000 for a small 4-6 berth

Also thursday not quite boats but george clarke has a programme on house boats at 8 on C4

Yet renting them out probably isn't all its cracked up to be either. I'd say you'd have fierce bother with messers doing damage and you'd have your work cut out trying to get the money from insurance

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh gawd, I'm not even halfway through this and I'm already nearly in tears!

I'll have to try to find the rest of the series online somewhere - I had no idea there would be so much more than just canal-tripping to it.

And as Stheno said, what a wonderful ad for Ireland while they're at it!

It's a lovely series, great to watch, and includes loads of local history

It's on 4 on demand :)
    Yet renting them out probably isn't all its cracked up to be either. I'd say you'd have fierce bother with messers doing damage and you'd have your work cut out trying to get the money from insurance

Afaik they limit the speed etc, and provide very detailed nav info to limit accidents :)

Mate of mine just bought a new bush. Came with a free boat

image.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

That's an old phot shot of the Maltese Falcon. From memory it happened about 10 years ago and the guy in the small boat was at fault - he tacked onto the MF which had a SF Bay pilot on board (obligatory in SFB for vessels of MF's size). The small yacht motored off and the pilot called up the CG who boarded her. AFAIK the small guy's insurers paid up, uncontested as MF had it all on camera, including the running away bit and USCG evidence. Plus it would be a brave insurer to back an insured in a legal action against an owner whose boat was under the control of a licensed pilot for those waters.:eek:

Was searching youtube and came across this 3 video series from the 80s of a wooden yacht been built. Interesting viewing and takes the myth and complication out of how a boat is built

• Advertisement

Anyone else watching fergals idea of heaven and our idea of-hell? Not a mast in sight

I have to wait for the plus 1 bloody x factor :rolleyes:

I have to wait for the plus 1 bloody x factor :rolleyes:

X wha? That thing still on

X wha? That thing still on

I had to record it now that jungle thing has started :( could be midnight before I see it.

Lads ye need to take control of the remote.

Or get multiroom.

Stheno wrote: »
    Lads ye need to take control of the remote.

Or get multiroom.

I have multiroom Micky mouse club is on the other one :D Majority rules the other one and the two girls beat me every time :(

Go and watch are the same thing.

12009769_1703983486501306_4102762317059368231_n_zps6gehuppf.jpg

I have multiroom Micky mouse club is on the other one :D Majority rules the other one and the two girls beat me every time :(

Go and watch are the same thing.
    ]

Skygo?

I have first dibs at ALL times on what is on the main telly here :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

maltesefalconcrash.jpg
    Big guy was on port, no rights there... :D

Steve wrote: »
    Big guy was on port, no rights there... :D

Last boat that tried that with the MF owner got run over!

(Credit for that nugget of knowledge goes to whoever mentioned a while back the book "Mine's Bigger" about the life/times/madness of Tom Perkins, creator of Maltese Falcon - put it on your Christmas stocking list, it's a FANTASTIC read!)

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Last boat that tried that with the MF owner got run over.

Yep and people were killed

Advertisement