Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Vexorg wrote: »
    Stheno

Best of luck, its going to exciting, 42 miles around Rockabill and Kish. Nice early start too, looks like its part of the RstGYC regatta, so you will be back in the Club House to collect your prize?

What boat are you on?

Have a great one.

Thanks, didn't know it was part of the regatta :)

Should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

1 Howth boat still looking for a body for the isora tomorrow, see the hyc crewpoint facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've booked myself on the Competent Crew 5-day course in the INSS. Can't wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stheno wrote: »
    Thanks, didn't know it was part of the regatta :)

Should be fun!

Hope you enjoyed it, was watching on YB.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Quickest ISORA on record, I'd say :D

Quickest regatta for us as well.... we got about 1/4 up the first beat and decided to get the hell outta there before the mast came down!! Fair play to those who stuck it out.... that was one wild day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

:eek:

Oh dear!

What happened?

Was out on the Thursday evening race and saw a few kites expolding :D

Nothing happened - to us anyway - just got very, very windy - too much for a lil' boat like ours!

First race was abandoned in any case, and by the looks of it most of the fleet went in - no idea if any went back out for a second race. Looks like it stayed very squally for most of the day.

I'm dying to hear how the ISORA went - I'd say that was proper rock'n'roll :D

Bar takings will be down so :D

Steve wrote: »
    Bar takings will be down so :D
    Ah the George usually attracts a good crowd no matter what!

(should correct the above, when I say most of the fleet, I meant most of our fleet, ie C3. The big boats were still careering around the place when we were having our coffee and sangwiches ashore!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I am back :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Nothing happened - to us anyway - just got very, very windy - too much for a lil' boat like ours!

First race was abandoned in any case, and by the looks of it most of the fleet went in - no idea if any went back out for a second race. Looks like it stayed very squally for most of the day.

We started after the C3's and went through the start line with 30.5knts of wind. A few minutes later heard what we thought was the race abandoned call, was just about the furl the headsail when the rest of our fleet passed us. Called the committee boat to find out it was only C3 that were abandoned. Hard work in that wind to catch back up. Second race was was squally, gusting 35+ a couple of times.

Vexorg wrote: »
    We started after the C3's and went through the start line with 30.5knts of wind. A few minutes later heard what we thought was the race abandoned call, was just about the furl the headsail when the rest of our fleet passed us. Called the committee boat to find out it was only C3 that were abandoned. Hard work in that wind to catch back up. Second race was was squally, gusting 35+ a couple of times.
    And still they've posted results (of a sort, only one boat finished, allegedly) for the first race. Go figure!

They also have most of the fleet down as "did not compete" when a lot of us were indeed out there, getting thrashed around the place!! Harumph.

OSI wrote: »

A few boats pulled out of the 2nd race minutes before the start, but the weather for the 2nd race was actually better and more settled as soon as it started. Wind was getting very heavy on the way back in though.

Big thanks to Vexorg for welcoming me aboard his boat, had a lot of fun and plenty of bruises from the baptism of fire the weather proved to be.

Hope it did not put you off :). Its not usually like that, in fact its rare and the fact we had two races in that wind it pretty much was a baptism of spray.

I think the isora boats had an easier day a reach to rockabill same to kish then a beat back to DL

Don't think we saw the sort of winds, someone said it gusted to 38 in the harbour, don't think we got that

It was very choppy on the beat back between two and three which is when we finished

Well done to all!

Now you know what it was like on the round Ireland - three days of a beat to get to Fastnet in 30kts! :D

Well done to all!

Now you know what it was like on the round Ireland - three days of a beat to get to Fastnet in 30kts! :D

I fell asleep for nearly an hour on our second leg, twas very enjoyable!

if anyones subscribed to eurosport player theres sailing on the videos section. New York Vendee single handed race

So, thoughts on my first isora.

I was with a fantastic crew who were very welcoming. It was an adjustment to round the cans and doing long legs, but fantastic to be there admiring the sky/sea and chatting away.

It also felt like a real achievement, I used be terrified of heavy conditions, and on the beat home yesterday it was mildly unpleasant but nothing more.

Great introduction for me, hoping I did OK yesterday and can participate in more :)

I'm also interested in doing deliveries to get a chance to learn about helming and navigating while not racing, and am fortunate that work wise I can accommodate that.

Just checked wind guru for next weekend in howth

Currently forecasting 24 knots gusting to ,38, will make for an interesting gibneys

Sad video from last weekends Round the Island race in the UK. Beautiful looking boat aswell

13606610_10157125074635301_3520491871753567111_n.jpg?oh=197daf5124851f53426363248707cc41&oe=57FB882F

13507115_10157125074625301_4977879245094362964_n.jpg?oh=8e7cd5f189c7170989c1be0467443d36&oe=582F1035

13625369_1340382562642387_9078348485007489042_n.jpg?oh=c07ccb22200e00582b2912037cf94552&oe=57F72EC0

(photos from halfton class europe facebook page)

• Advertisement

Currently forecasting 24 knots gusting to ,38, will make for an interesting gibneys

down now to 15 gusting 24 :rolleyes:

neris wrote: »
    Sad video from last weekends Round the Island race in the UK. Beautiful looking boat aswell

Very sad indeed.

Apparently they hit a wreck and were holed.

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/commodores-yacht-sinks-in-round-the-island-race-95408.aspx

Very sad indeed.

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/commodores-yacht-sinks-in-round-the-island-race-95408.aspx
    I can't understand why they don't make the navigation mark a mark of that course, every year there seems to be some incident with that wreck!

Between that and the sands on the other side of the island, it's a dodgy enough course :eek:

Still high on my bucket list, though - if only to see the start line :D

The SS Varvassi. They wouldnt be the 1st to hit.
    These include the wreck of the SS Varvassi, which went aground by Needles Lighthouse in 1947, and whose rusting boilers continue to rip the keels off yachts which try to cut this corner. High-profile race casualties here include the French Admiral’s Cup yacht Xeryus and Barracuda of Tarrant. Dame Ellen points out: “Although everyone knows about the Varvassi just off the lighthouse, somebody goes onto it every year. That’s why there’s a lifeboat waiting there.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Varvassi

Still high on my bucket list, though - if only to see the start line :D

Ive looked into taking my boat over for it, the logistics of just getting a lift in and berth to tie up at seems like a nightmare never mind the 7am start

That is sad to see

What's with the 7am start? Is it a very long race?

What sites do people use for forecasts, recently I am finding them inaccurate beyond two days even the night before can be different.

For Example
    YR.NO
    Thursday evening predicting 6 knots
    Saturday afternoon predicting 14 knots

Windguru (Free - 12 hour delay with updates)
    Thursday evening predicting 5 gusting 8 knots
    Saturday afternoon predicting 18 gusting 29 knots

Met.ie
    Thursday evening predicting 7 gusting 11 knots
    Saturday afternoon predicting 17 gusting 22 knots

PocketGrib
    Thursday evening predicting 5.5 knots
    Saturday afternoon predicting 18 knots

@dublinbaybuoy on twitter is great to get a sense of what is actually happening beyond the protection of the harbour walls in Dun Laoghaire on race days. Is there a similar weather buoy for Howth?

Will be interesting to see how these change over the next few days, it is unusual that they are all predicting similar wind speeds apart from YR, (slightly less for Saturday).

Howth also reference the dublinbaybuoy I remember it during the icras as the race officers tried to find wind :)

met.ie
    windguru
    windfinder
    dublin bay buoy (when i remeber ot and havemy phone handy)

trying to get anything accurate beyond 24 hours is nearly futile.

• Advertisement

yr.no has (for 48hr forecasts) have proved the best for me of late.

Dublin bay seems to have a microclimate all of it's own based on tide changes... makes no sense but it happens every time. If there's anything approaching light wind, chances are it'll go millpond on tide change.

Advertisement