Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stheno wrote: »
    That is sad to see

What's with the 7am start? Is it a very long race?

50 odd miles, 1000 boats spread across a huge range of handicaps, sizes and capabilities. Everything from supermaxis and tris down to little day boats

http://www.roundtheisland.org.uk/web/code/php/main_c.php?map=rir16live&ui=rir4&style=std&override=&section=home

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Howth also reference the dublinbaybuoy I remember it during the icras as the race officers tried to find wind :)

In case anyone doesn't know, the DB / roundabout buoy tweets current conditions every 20 mins

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy

Edit:
    As does Kish:
    https://twitter.com/kishlhouse

Coningbeg:
    https://twitter.com/ConingbegBuoy

And I'm sure lots more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A Howth boat, BAM, doing rather well in the solo Fastnet.

I'm surprised not to have seen more of this in the media - that's some undertaking! eek.png

http://yb.tl/sorcrtr2016

http://solofastnet.co.uk/

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    A Howth boat, BAM, doing rather well in the solo Fastnet.

I'm surprised not to have seen more of this in the media - that's some undertaking! eek.png

http://yb.tl/sorcrtr2016

http://solofastnet.co.uk/

http://hyc.ie/news/446-conor-fogarty-competes-in-the-solo-fastnet-this-saturday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Great day for the gibney classic in howth today:)

• Advertisement

Great day for the gibney classic in howth today:)

My head hurts

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    My head hurts

Did you a. Get a smack of the boom, or b. Imbibe a little too much? :D

Did you a. Get a smack of the boom, or b. Imbibe a little too much? :D

We had a few in hyc then drove to gibneys for more then back to howth and vacated the balcony about 1130pm

We had a few in hyc then drove to gibneys for more then back to howth and vacated the balcony about 1130pm

I was good and went home after gibneys about eight o'clock :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I haven't been to the Royal Gibney Yacht Club in many years, despite having worked there as a glass mechanic back in my youth!

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    I haven't been to the Royal Gibney Yacht Club in many years, despite having worked there as a glass mechanic back in my youth!

Some poor souls had a small wedding in the sports bar yesterday
    The looks on their faces when we invaded was amusing

We hit a lovely squall tonight and had a broach. (first time I can think of where I was on a boat when it broached)

I was sitting on the rail at the time when it happened, and as the boat went up and up and up, I remember thinking, "how high will this boat go"until it finally started righting itself.

At one point the mast was about four feet out of the water.

We hit a lovely squall tonight and had a broach. (first time I can think of where I was on a boat when it broached)

I was sitting on the rail at the time when it happened, and as the boat went up and up and up, I remember thinking, "how high will this boat go"until it finally started righting itself.

At one point the mast was about four feet out of the water.

Coulda been worse,

Broach -> release -> crew on the rail go mackerel fishing!! :D

Nothing like a good broach to make sure the crew is still awake and paying attention!

I'm doing the doublehander in howth in a couple of weeks, and we went out to practice this morning. I am on the tiller, it's flipping hard work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Cool, what type of boat is it?

Vexorg wrote: »
    Cool, what type of boat is it?

Can't remember :p is a 28 footer so big enough but not too big

I'm doing the doublehander in howth in a couple of weeks, and we went out to practice this morning. I am on the tiller, it's flipping hard work!

Yet everyone (non helm) thinks it's the easiest job on the boat!

Physically maybe, mentally it is a 100% grind. :)

Yet everyone (non helm) thinks it's the easiest job on the boat!

Physically maybe, mentally it is a 100% grind. :)

When you are as small as I am in sailing terms it's tough both physically and mentally.

You more experienced guys may giggle at this, but while I wasn't brilliant, I enjoyed it, got a massive confidence boost from it, and learned a load.

It was fab

I've been doing it over 30 years, you never stop learning. I love that!

• Advertisement

I've been doing it over 30 years, you never stop learning. I love that!

Four years ago when I started learning to sail and struggled to control a topaz, if someone had told me I'd helm a big boat like today I'd have laughed hysterically.

I'm blessed in that the person I am helming for is incredibly patient and gives me masses of confidence.

I was well chuffed a few times today, such as when I stopped going "waaaaaahhhhh" when I was overpowered, and instead said "ease the main a little please" :D

I started out today sailing thinking my friend I'm helming for was nuts to have me do it, then slowly realised I'm not incapable of it. :)

Well, I hope I had at least a little part in getting you there :), dead proud of and impressed by you!

Well, I hope I had at least a little part in getting you there :), dead proud of and impressed by you!

You,vexorg Heidi, and a now departed boardsie have all played a massive part in getting me to be someone who now considers themselves a sailor. I'd never have kept on this path without you guys. Along with many others on here, I can't thank you all enough, ever.

It's hard to describe the sheer beauty of being on the water on a beautiful day like today but you all know what I mean. For me it's another world

I'm currently mentoring a complete newb on my normal boat who asked me recently if we sailed when it rains, we laughed about it Wednesday when it poured down. They get afraid when the boat heels etc I remember how scary that was and it feels funny to chat to someone about it and make it OK for them, when before, I'd have a heart attack if a boat heeled, when we broached the other night it was very gentle I didn't even think we broached

I don't have much to give back but as I learn it grows.

I hope osi is reading:)

Ugh, early start tomorrow, 40hrs to Schull!

Hoping I'll have to use sun cream more than oilies :D

At least you're giving yourself a bit of wriggle room.... we're only leaving next Saturday :eek:

Anyone doing the ISORA tonight? Could be a looong one......

Anyone doing the ISORA tonight? Could be a looong one......
    Postponed due to lack of wind :mad:

Bah.

Postponed due to lack of wind :mad:

Bah.

Is there wind tomorrow? Malahide regatta is on

Is there wind tomorrow? Malahide regatta is on

Theres feckin plethora of regattas on the northside tomorrow

Theres feckin plethora of regattas on the northside tomorrow

Yeah it's a bit mental alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Looking very light in Malahide 6-8 knots, if you can trust these forecasts. http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Other/Malahide_Inlet/hour_by_hour.html

Advertisement