Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Vexorg wrote: »
    Looking very light in Malahide 6-8 knots, if you can trust these forecasts. http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Other/Malahide_Inlet/hour_by_hour.html

Lovely :( it will be like the icras again

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Enough wind :) lovely day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

There were massive wind holes in Dun Laoghaire on the Scotsman Bay side, the entire fleet was stalled several times during the race, we were watching the dingy fleets just outside the Harbour mouth and further west with lots of wind. We even had a couple of bees and clouds of midges landing on the deck.

There were massive wind holes in Dun Laoghaire on the Scotsman Bay side, the entire fleet was stalled several times during the race, we were watching the dingy fleets just outside the Harbour mouth and further west with lots of wind. We even had a couple of bees and clouds of midges landing on the deck.

Am I right in thinking that area is prone to that?

Notwithstanding my usual bruises on my legs I woke up to a lovely black eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Real boats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Stheno wrote: »

Notwithstanding my usual bruises on my legs I woke up to a lovely black eye

We had something similar a couple of weeks ago, where cruisers 0, 1, 2 and the sigma 33s got away fine but the rest of the classes had no wind and could not even get over the start line. but apart from that there has been plenty of wind it just likes to change direction several times during a race.

How did you get a black eye?

How did you get a black eye?

I have no idea, I had my glasses on so should have been fine the space between my eyebrows was sore sat evening and then I'd the bruise in the corner of my eye next day

Weird

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's less prone than the bay. There was some talk / rumors of moving DBSC Saturday racing there for that very reason.

Sorry to hear about the bruises!

My OH bruises really easily and when she'd go to work after sailing they all thought I was beating the crap out of her at home!! wouldn't believe the 'I did it sailing' reason :D

• Advertisement

Real boats!

the bends in the rigs and the big overlappers, always wonder how the bowmen managed to stay on those yokes especially through the gybes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

neris wrote: »
    the bends in the rigs and the big overlappers, always wonder how the bowmen managed to stay on those yokes especially through the gybes

As a bow nipper when sports boats first came to Ireland - had the honor of being bowman on the first Irish Corby!! , gybes weren't the problem, tacks were.. on the foredeck tying on a kite and the office decides to tack without telling you... boat literally gone from beneath you :D

Steve wrote: »

My OH bruises really easily and when she'd go to work after sailing they all thought I was beating the crap out of her at home!! wouldn't believe the 'I did it sailing' reason :D

Oh I have specific days where I won't wear a skirt into work as the sheer bruising around my knees would lead to endless speculation. :)

As a bow nipper when sports boats first came to Ireland - had the honor of being bowman on the first Irish Corby!! , gybes weren't the problem, tacks were.. on the foredeck tying on a kite and the office decides to tack without telling you... boat literally gone from beneath you :D

Frenzy?

neris wrote: »
    Frenzy?

Yup. :D

Was some boat, bizarre way they use to transport her.. she was still on the go a few years back down in clare. We clattered her in soverigns week on a mark rounding years back with another 1 off corby .

I too was a bowman waay back (when Corby was only a nipper). I never recall anyone going overboard.

I agree 100% on the unexpected tacks – they were a killer! On that boat (3/4 tonner, typical IOR design, rudder out of the water half the time) we had an inner forestay that was used to tweak the rig and dip-pole gybing. When gybing I used to squeeze between the forestay and the pulpit facing aft so it was tight and I could easily snap the lazy guy into the spinny pole as it passed through. On one occasion my counterpart at the mast end of the pole (his job was to hoist the inboard end up the track) came forward (because the inner forestay was still tethered) and the bow dug in, causing my auto-inflating jacket to pop. I was totally stuck, we gybed and as everyone though it was hysterically funny it took quite a while to extricate myself.
    Useless bit of information #2 - Corby’s father was the designer of the eponymous trouser press.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Frenzy. Great boat. Before the now traditional "Corby transom"

http://www.corby-yachts.com/frenzy.html#

P.s. Anyone else sailing in the 2 handed in Howth at the weekend?

I still have a Frenzy jacket in the wardrbe :D

AdHQeaF.jpg

Edit whoops, huge image - reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Does anyone know if you can change the wind settings on yr.no to kts, instead of m/s?

I can't do the m/s thing at all - I know the tails on the arrows are probably showing knots (I think??) but is it possible to get the numbers to show knots?

• Advertisement

Rough rule of thumb is to double the metre figure, so 1 m/sec is 2 knots and 10 m/sec is 20 knots.

I still have a Frenzy jacket in the wardrbe :D

We won't ask if it still fits ;):)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can change the wind settings on yr.no to kts, instead of m/s?

I can't do the m/s thing at all - I know the tails on the arrows are probably showing knots (I think??) but is it possible to get the numbers to show knots?
    Depends how you look, if you chart it you get kts on the right hand scale.

As p rightly said, multiply m/s by 2 to get kts for a rough conversion.

bwdZO53.png

We won't ask if it still fits ;):)

It does, thanks! :p

You're just the epitome of the ideal man

Feck off :P

lol :D

You mustnt be getting sausages then

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Uurgh....early start for me tomorrow this time, setting sail for Schull early tomorrow after a much later night than intended.... :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Uurgh....early start for me tomorrow this time, setting sail for Schull early tomorrow after a much later night than intended.... :eek:

Hope it's going well :)

I have a stupid question, I was helming today for about four hours, was much more comfortable with it :)

Now I expect to feel a bit of a burn in my arms/ shoulders etc afterwards, but my legs also ache

Is this something those of you helm experience? Bear in mind I'm not very fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hope it's going well :)

I have a stupid question, I was helming today for about four hours, was much more comfortable with it :)

Now I expect to feel a bit of a burn in my arms/ shoulders etc afterwards, but my legs also ache

Is this something those of you helm experience? Bear in mind I'm not very fit
    You use your legs a lot to keep yourself up on the high side.

Advertisement