Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You use your legs a lot to keep yourself up on the high side.

That makes sense when I think back on it, I'm constantly shifting about as I am helming.

Got masses of confidence from today, it was great, I'd three other crew and it was really interesting to experiment and see how where they were affected how the boat handled

I was wrecked afterwards need to get fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Uurgh....early start for me tomorrow this time, setting sail for Schull early tomorrow after a much later night than intended.... :eek:
    I do not envy Heidi. Wind was gusting up to 35 knots last night in my part of the SW; eased a bit earlier, but stll unpleasant. Boat is staying put, I'm going out mushrooming!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Forecast for this evening is 20 up to 32 in Howth, should be fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stheno wrote: »
    Forecast for this evening is 20 up to 32 in Howth, should be fun :D

its cancelled, which is quite a contrast to last night where there was feck all breeze a flood tide and our fleet was timed out

neris wrote: »
    its cancelled, which is quite a contrast to last night where there was feck all breeze a flood tide and our fleet was timed out

Racing tonight is cancelled? Where did you hear that?

edit: just saw it on facebook ::(

• Advertisement

Racing tonight is cancelled? Where did you hear that?

the little facebook thingy on hyc.ie and twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We had a gorgeous delivery down..... motor-sailed all the way in flat sea and sunshine, arriving at teatime on Sunday.

It's all gone a bit pear-shaped since then... a lumpy slow drizzly race yesterday (but we did comes second which was some consolation!), and all racing cancelled today because it's absolutely honking! Tomorrow and Friday will be fun, I'd say there's some sea piled up out there after today......

Is it sovereigns you are at?

Is it sovereigns you are at?

Calves Week in Schull

We had a gorgeous delivery down..... motor-sailed all the way in flat sea and sunshine, arriving at teatime on Sunday.

It's all gone a bit pear-shaped since then... a lumpy slow drizzly race yesterday (but we did comes second which was some consolation!), and all racing cancelled today because it's absolutely honking! Tomorrow and Friday will be fun, I'd say there's some sea piled up out there after today......

honking in dublin now if its any consolation

• Advertisement

Am I reading the forecast for tomorrows wind right, that it's going to be gusting up to 30+ knots about four o'clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Met.ie is showing the wind building between 12.00 and 18.00 going from 7-11 knots at 12 to 17-22 knots at 6, could easily be gusting to 30+ The hourly short range forecast wont be available until tomorrow.

YR.no has 16 knots at 16.00 building to 20 at 18.00

Pocketgrib is showing 18knots at 16.00 dropping very slightly over the next couple of hours.

Windguru free has a 12 hour delay, currently showing 18 gusting 26 at 16.00.

All showing a good breeze at 16.00, but I would not put money on it.

At least you can be prepared for heavy airs, easier to take a reef out during the race than to put one in assuming you like to reef:)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

image_zpspdutgueo.jpeg

Fergal, someone must have seen one of your runabouts and decided to supersize it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Nearly bought a Ruffian 23 sailboat as my first venture into cruiser racing, it would have also been my first restoration.

Boaty wrote: »
    Nearly bought a Ruffian 23 sailboat as my first venture into cruiser racing, it would have also been my first restoration.
    Mind me asking why you didn't in the end?

They're a great boat, and one of the biggest one-design fleets in Dublin Bay (if that's where you'd be sailing).

Are you still on the hunt for a boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

I've minimal experience when I comes to cruisers, so I wanted a a few friends onboard, The most experienced of us all pulled out as he didn't want a winter project and the idea fell through.

I wasn't even in the market for a cruiser but when the boat became available earlier this week I had to try and work out something, If you heard the price of it you'd buy it without even looking at it.

At this stage even one other person with a bit of experience would do.

I'm a little further south, I'm nearly certain you were here in June.

I see that the 'Grand Rusalina' paid Sogood a visit in his home waters.. I wonder was there a sale? :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Well done to Annalise today 1 st place overall sofar. https://www.facebook.com/AnnaliseMurphySailing/?fref=nf

neris wrote: »

Bet he brought a big spanner this time! :) (wrench, not tactician;))

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Silver for the O'Donovan Brothers :)

13912749_1057252324363914_5777659901373758948_n.jpg?oh=98c774991db0139e80671cf85f000d36&oe=584BB81E

Fergal, you need to come over here for the craic -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057631451

Great sailing and rowing chatting going on!

Powerboats, not so much though :D

Fergal, you need to come over here for the craic -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057631451

Great sailing and rowing chatting going on!

Powerboats, not so much though :D

Tis a great thread, loads of chat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The Irish sailors have 'did us proud' big time, hats off to them.

And so have the sailing boardsies in the other sports forums, love u guys!!

fergal.b wrote: »
    Well done to Annalise today 1 st place overall sofar. https://www.facebook.com/AnnaliseMurphySailing/?fref=nf

6th today, well done a tight race.

NED 45
    IRL 50
    DEN 52

FIN 55
    BEL 61
    LTU 71

OSI wrote: »
    Another race lost to a bloody lobster pot :(

Ye didn't hit another pot?

Another race lost to a bloody lobster pot :(
    If it's any consolation, we caught two - TWO - today :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any lobsters?

Any lobsters?
    Not this time - but we'd have put the owners of the floats alive into a pot of boiling water no bother for putting them out with floating rope on them :mad:

• Advertisement

We did. Spent all afternoon dodging them, bay was full of em for some reason. Just misread the current after a tack and snagged a couple of floats, took us 20 minutes to get free.

I did the lighthouse ISORA a few weeks back and there were a few pots in the bay with really long lines floating on the surface when we came in. Was it one of those? You see the pot, but don't see the twenty foot of rope attached to it that is floating on the surface?

Advertisement