Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

A good sharp knife and two fingers to the inconsiderate cnut of a lobster boat owner. If the fcukers at least put high flag poles on the pots it wouldnt be so bad but they drop them in harbour entrances and in the middle of race areas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    A good sharp knife and two fingers to the inconsiderate cnut of a lobster boat owner. If the fcukers at least put high flag poles on the pots it wouldnt be so bad but they drop them in harbour entrances and in the middle of race areas

It's the long lines that are a pita, no way of knowing they are there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Stheno wrote: »
    It's the long floating lines that are a pita, no way of knowing they are there :(

FYP

After catching the first one, we gave the next one a wide berth, but still caught the line.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    FYP

After catching the first one, we gave the next one a wide berth, but still caught the line.

That's a nightmare, you spend so much time trying to avoid the pots themselves, the lines are an extra horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

We sailed from.Kilmore Quay to Dunmore East yesterday, it actually looked like the transit out of the harbour was being marked by lobster pots, wouldn't fancy it in bad light!
    There were just enough dolphins out to keep the kids interested and looking out for pots.
    Going to head up the river to Waterford today, have a faff about with the kids for a cople of hours, then back to Dunmore on the tide.
    Planning on heading towards Kilmore on Friday, Arklow on Saturday and home to Greystones on Sunday, weather permitting, a proper use of a week off, kids are starting to feel like real sailors :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Looks like we will be changing our plans for heading home, saturday looks brutal and sunday while better is not good enough for me to consider with a 10 & 12 year old on board.
    So we will head for Kilmore quay tomorrow, leave the boat there until Monday than see if we can do Greystones in one hop, wicklow head permitting as we will be tight enough for the tide if we don't get the push we need.

Forecast for tonight for wind is depressingly the same on three forecasts, 5 maybe six knots.

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah was bemoaning weather forecast for the weekend myself. Saturday looks like a fun day on the rail, think I'll wear some trunks.
    I'm seriously regretting signing up for the ISORA on Friday night :eek::eek:

I'm seriously regretting signing up for the ISORA on Friday night :eek::eek:

Is that the rescheduled overnighter that was cancelled?

Is that the rescheduled overnighter that was cancelled?
    Yep. It surely won't be cancelled for lack of wind again!!!

• Advertisement

Yep. It surely won't be cancelled for lack of wind again!!!

Indeed, I've just seen the forecast, that should be blowy :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

fenris wrote: »
    We sailed from.Kilmore Quay to Dunmore East yesterday, it actually looked like the transit out of the harbour was being marked by lobster pots, wouldn't fancy it in bad light!
    There were just enough dolphins out to keep the kids interested and looking out for pots.
    Going to head up the river to Waterford today, have a faff about with the kids for a cople of hours, then back to Dunmore on the tide.
    Planning on heading towards Kilmore on Friday, Arklow on Saturday and home to Greystones on Sunday, weather permitting, a proper use of a week off, kids are starting to feel like real sailors :-)

Kilmore Quay is not somewhere you want to be in the dark. They set pots all the way out Patrick's bridge, even in the navigation gap. The only way to avoid them is go outside the Saltees.

Steve wrote: »
    Kilmore Quay is not somewhere you want to be in the dark. They set pots all the way out Patrick's bridge, even in the navigation gap. The only way to avoid them is go outside the Saltees.

Was only in kilmore quay once and it wasnt some where u wanted to be storm bound, unfortuantely we were.

Was only in kilmore quay once and it wasnt some where u wanted to be storm bound, unfortuantely we were.
    I think I was there once, very long channel to enter, then a 90 degree angle to get into the harbour?

Am I thinking of the right place?

We got abandoned tonight in Howth, now wind, and it rained for a solid 90 minutes :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I think I was there once, very long channel to enter, then a 90 degree angle to get into the harbour?

We got abandoned tonight in Howth, now wind, and it rained for a solid 90 minutes :(

Sounds right, over the 'bridge' then in.

It's actually a lovely place once you get there.

If it makes you feel better, I spent an hour and a half on the M50 this evening due to a crash...

If it makes you feel better, I spent an hour and a half on the M50 this evening due to a crash...

Twas a lovely place once we docked :)

Ah the M50, I've a rule, no job that involves the M50 every day is worth it :D

We got storm bound there in 98 on the way back from cork week on a sonata. Thankfully 2 dun laoghaire boats were also stuck witn us (scenario encore and an x99 i cant remember the name if) so we looked like an equal group of twats walking into the local disco in the saltees hotel in our boots and wet weather gear. Gave the local boozer a fair amount of business that weekend

If it makes you feel any better we had a great sail last night in plenty of breeze to start and got into the bar before it dropped it :D

If it makes you feel any better we had a great sail last night in plenty of breeze to start and got into the bar before it dropped it :D

We got so soaked we put the kettle on in the way in to make us tea to warm us up :D

I was on the committee boat for the puppeteers a few weeks ago, those guys and the 17s look like they regularly get soaked

sure you get soaked just stepping on a 17

• Advertisement

sure you get soaked just stepping on a 17

I look at them and shudder :D

Actually a question, you know the little sail on top of the main sail? Does that have it's own halyard that you use to hoist it, if you know?

I look at them and shudder :D

Actually a question, you know the little sail on top of the main sail? Does that have it's own halyard that you use to hoist it, if you know?

that sails a pain in the hole. its called a topsail and has a number of control lines aswell as a halyard

that sails a pain in the hole. its called a topsail and has a number of control lines aswell as a halyard

It does look pretty though :)

It does look pretty though :)

theres always a boat looking ooking for a crew on a Tuesday & Saturday if your at a loose end & fancy a sail. the topsails are only used on Saturday though

theres always a boat looking ooking for a crew on a Tuesday & Saturday if your at a loose end & fancy a sail. the topsails are only used on Saturday though

I'd love to give it a try :) Free most Tuesdays and Saturdays, with the exception of the next two Tuesdays :)

On another note, anyone catch this story from the Olympics? 54 year old sailor who has overcome cancer and first competed in 2004 won the catamaran class this week! How incredible!

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/16/sport/santiago-lange-narca-rio-2016/

Summer is over lads, it was dark getting off the boat this evening!

Summer is over lads, it was dark getting off the boat this evening!

We put the lights on coming in last night at eight

Time limit tonight was 20:30, we finished with a minute to spare... half the fleet didn't.

Yea, some had the nav lights on coming back into the harbour.

Time limit tonight was 20:30, we finished with a minute to spare... half the fleet didn't.

Yea, some had the nav lights on coming back into the harbour.

In fairness we'd mad mist last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Only one boat finished in our fleet, we were just 2 minutes off the line when flags came down, disappointed.

Advertisement