Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We had 1st on IRC in the bag and got timed out :mad::mad:

Seriously ambitious course set by RO for us littlies!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

take it that the Isora race isnt going ahead tonight?
    Gale Warning

Southwest to west winds will reach gale force later today and tonight on Irish coastal waters from Carlingford Lough to Roches Point to Erris Head and on the south Irish Sea.
    Issued at 05:00 on 19-Aug-2016

Small Craft Warning

Southeast winds will reach force 6 or higher on all coasts of Ireland during today.
    Issued at 05:00 on 19-Aug-2016

Sea Area Forecast until 0600 Saturday 20 August 2016

Issued at 0600 Friday 19 August 2016

Gale Warning: In Operation

Small Craft Warning: In Operation

Meteorological Situation at 0300:A frontal zone is moving eastwards across Ireland in a southeasterly airflow.

Forecast for Irish coastal waters from Erris Head to Rossan Point to Carlingford Lough and for the north Irish Sea
    Wind: Southeast force 6 to 7, gradually backing east and moderating force 4 to 5.

Forecast for Irish coastal waters from Carlingford Lough to Roche's Point to Erris Head and for the south Irish Sea
    Wind: Southeast force 6 to 7, gradually becoming southwest to west force 7 to gale force 8

Weather for all Irish coastal waters and the Irish Sea: Further outbreaks of rain.

Visibility for all Irish coastal waters and the Irish Sea: Moderate to poor at times today.

Warning of heavy swell: Along western and southern Atlantic coasts

Outlook for a further 24 hours until 0600, Sunday, 21 August 2016: Strong to gale force westerly winds during Saturday.

Next update before 1300 Fri 19-Aug-2016

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy/status/766585662694883328

Mean while over at the Dinosaur cup in Falmouth
    Howth Yacht Club entry Harmony lies third, one of three Irish Half Tonners in the top six overall. The Jonny Swan skippered entry is 14.5 points off the lead with Dublin club–mate Mike Evans in The Big Picture three points behind in fourth. Sixth is defending champion Dave Cullen in Checkmate. There are three more races today.

http://afloat.ie/sail/events/racing-update/item/33432-howth-yacht-club-s-harmony-lying-third-at-half-ton-classics-cup

Looks like racing could be abandoned today and results will stay as they are. Great result for Harmony as shes not carrying any paid jockeys (unlike 2 of her club mates)

neris wrote: »
    take it that the Isora race isnt going ahead tonight?

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy/status/766585662694883328
    Hasn't been cancelled yet! :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Hasn't been cancelled yet! :eek:

Cripes! Are you having second thoughts?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Cripes! Are you having second thoughts?
    Me personally, I've been having second thoughts since about Wednesday!!

But the boat will go if the race is on, and I can't really bail out on them at this late stage. I think it's been shortened as much as they can while still keeping it technically an "offshore", so we shouldn't be tortured for too long.

Still may be called off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Sutton Dinghy Club "Sail Around & B-B-Q" on Sunday cancelled.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Me personally, I've been having second thoughts since about Wednesday!!

But the boat will go if the race is on, and I can't really bail out on them at this late stage. I think it's been shortened as much as they can while still keeping it technically an "offshore", so we shouldn't be tortured for too long.

Still may be called off though.

Best of luck with it if it goes ahead, hopefully it's not too horrid!

BowWow wrote: »
    Sutton Dinghy Club "Sail Around & B-B-Q" on Sunday cancelled.

pity but was inevitable with the forecast for the next 48 hours

Wonder did Heidi get off? Was out in howth earlier and it didn't seem as bad as forecast.

And on another subject altogether, anyone sailed a 420? Are they novice, intermediate or advanced dinghies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Clontarf Yacht & Boat Club

"No sailing this weekend due to serious sewage leak from Ringsend treatment plant. HSE advised no water sports in area until further notice."

Wow!

"No sailing this weekend due to serious sewage leak from Ringsend treatment plant. HSE advised no water sports in area until further notice."

Wow!

Would be like sailing in rio :pac:

Wonder did Heidi get off? Was out in howth earlier and it didn't seem as bad as forecast.

And on another subject altogether, anyone sailed a 420? Are they novice, intermediate or advanced dinghies?

high performance teenagers dinghy. Most certainly aren't novice

Wow!

been **** floating in howth last few weeks and no mention of cancelling anything. They found a blocked sewer in the village was over flowing into the drains and into the harbour

been **** floating in howth last few weeks and no mention of cancelling anything. They found a blocked sewer in the village was over flowing into the drains and into the harbour

Is that why it's been particularly stinky on the water recently?

Is that why it's been particularly stinky on the water recently?

i think there was a problem with a sewage plant up around NCD aswell so with water flowing South and the harbour it would be

i think there was a problem with a sewage plant up around NCD aswell so with water flowing South and the harbour it would be

It was manky wednesday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yeah, they're off Greystones, can see them on Marinetraffic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Wow!

That might explain the abundance of marine carcasses in the bay recently. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The 420 was a good performance dinghy back in the day, bit much for a novice to handle, intermediate stage would be ok unless the weather was very hairy. There was a big class in the 70’s in Dun L, the juniors graduated to them from the Mirrors. It had a big brother, the 470. Both were fun to sail, had trapezes, self-bailers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

high performance teenagers dinghy. Most certainly aren't novice

I'd agree with this.
    Sailed one when I was 16 and brother was 24.
    As two fairly lightweight fellas we struggled to keep it upright quite often. Great fun, though.
    Graduated from Mirrors. Quite a big step.

Steve wrote: »
    Yeah, they're off Greystones, can see them on Marinetraffic.
    Oh we got off alright! Well reefed, and on our collective ears!

Race was shortened to Breaches Buoy off Greystones and back, so about 25 miles - which was plenty!!

Long, long beat against whopper tide, and then a rollercoaster ride back under spinny (until it ripped!) - we got in just before 2am.

I (who should know better) left my arm the wrong side of the main sheet on a gybe, and am now sporting a beautiful black/purple band all around my forearm, and feeling very sorry for myself! Still, I keep reminding myself that it could have been my head :eek:

Great fun, now that it's over. Racing is cancelled for today as it's now gusting 44kts - so instead of the Hut, that's me back to bed for the afternoon I think!!

I'd love to give it a try :) Free most Tuesdays and Saturdays, with the exception of the next two Tuesdays

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/16/sport/santiago-lange-narca-rio-2016/

that isn't you posting on Facebook that you want to go out on a 17?

Oh we got off alright! Well reefed, and on our collective ears!

Race was shortened to Breaches Buoy off Greystones and back, so about 25 miles - which was plenty!!

Long, long beat against whopper tide, and then a rollercoaster ride back under spinny (until it ripped!) - we got in just before 2am.

I (who should know better) left my arm the wrong side of the main sheet on a gybe, and am now sporting a beautiful black/purple band all around my forearm, and feeling very sorry for myself! Still, I keep reminding myself that it could have been my head :eek:

Great fun, now that it's over. Racing is cancelled for today as it's now gusting 44kts - so instead of the Hut, that's me back to bed for the afternoon I think!!

Enjoy the rest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

@HeidiHeidi

We did not hear about the race cancellation until I got out to the Marina and the N over A flags were flying at the Irish. Are the notice of cancellation/adandonment posted somewhere. Nothing on the DBSC website. Not that the 40kt+ gusts were enough to suggest cancellation:)

Vexorg wrote: »
    @HeidiHeidi

We did not hear about the race cancellation until I got out to the Marina and the N over A flags were flying at the Irish. Are the notice of cancellation/adandonment posted somewhere. Nothing on the DBSC website. Not that the 40kt+ gusts were enough to suggest cancellation:)

I thought there was an email list for skippers (I'm not on it).

Racing in howth cancelled today

I had to ring the skipper to let him know and to let the crew know not to come out.... I will get him to check. They may have the wrong email for him, we protested a a race being shortened in mid July and on one of the weekly calls to get an update on the protest, we were informed that the protest committee met the previous Monday and as we were not there assumed we have given up on the protest, they said the skipper was emailed, but despite sending and texting the email address again, requesting a copy of the mail about the protest meeting, we are still waiting:)

I see that the last Thursday race of the season has been moved to Wednesday 24th so it does not conflict with the ceremony for Annalise Murphy

Vexorg wrote: »
    I see that the last Thursday race of the season has been moved to Wednesday 24th so it does not conflict with the ceremony for Annalise Murphy
    Hadn't heard that, where did you see it?

Edit, found it.
    http://www.dbsc.org/index.php?/news/important-notice-end-of-season-race-thursdays-25th-august

• Advertisement

http://www.dbsc.org/index.php?/news/important-notice-end-of-season-race-thursdays-25th-august

It puts us at a serious disadvantage, Skipper works in the UK Monday to Thursday and flys in Thursday afternoon and straight to the boat!

Advertisement