Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ouch. :)

You want to sail with us if that's the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Steve wrote: »
    I thought there was an email list for skippers (I'm not on it).

He got a text shortly after I called about the abandonment flags.

Ouch. :)

You want to sail with us if that's the case?

If he cant reschedule, I may take you up on that... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In my experience, it has been 'look out the window and best guess', Have always been on the boat and heard the cancellation on VHF. I guess they try to be optimistic till the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Vexorg wrote: »
    http://www.dbsc.org/index.php?/news/important-notice-end-of-season-race-thursdays-25th-august

It puts us at a serious disadvantage, Skipper works in the UK Monday to Thursday and flys in Thursday afternoon and straight to the boat!

Is there anything in the SIs or NOR about changing race nights? You could protest or seek to have the race thrown out if theres nothing and they move it to Wednesday.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Is there anything in the SIs or NOR about changing race nights? You could protest or seek to have the race thrown out if theres nothing and they move it to Wednesday.

Nothing in the SI or NOR about changing race nights.

it's a valid amendment afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

In my experience, it has been 'look out the window and best guess', Have always been on the boat and heard the cancellation on VHF. I guess they try to be optimistic till the last minute.
    This.

We've guessed wrong on many occasions!

In my experience it's very rare for racing to be cancelled in advance, usually all the teams gather in the club and assess it there, and equally usually go out anyhow to make sure that there's nothing on the way/no chance of it calming down a bit/whatever.

Today was exceptional, and there was someone down there looking at the sea state, so it was called early.

The only notification I got was by text - that may be skippers only, I think I'm down as "skipper" of ours as I put in the entry, but maybe you can get yourself added to that text list if you request it?

Bad luck to Vexorg and co re next Thursday, I can see from the results why it's important! But then again it is a rare, bordering on once-in-a-lifetime event that we get to welcome home an Olympic silver medal!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Went from Malahide to Howth today, just a leisure sail, but with a no. 1 jib rather than the no. 3 that we've used since I started helming.

It was the maddest day wind wise, ok at first, then quite light and shifty, then picked up as we got towards Howth.

Went back to Malahide after a nice lunch, and we tried out the no. 2 jib, which was the most contrary fecker to deal with, think we got out trim wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Greystones is packed to bursting tonight, something like 140 boats registered to race in the morning :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

fenris wrote: »
    Greystones is packed to bursting tonight, something like 140 boats registered to race in the morning :-)

What race is on?

We'd lunch on the boat in Howth, there were about 15 boats from the UK coming over from Hollyhead and there were several collisions with the markers on the way into the marina, and one going aground, we were sitting there watching them wondering what would happen next.

I ueed to like you... feckin Munster fan..... :D:D:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTj5y1S5vL7F6UedQ-gMuRUHjOm_Txbak5NiY4YILslchOlGQRrHw

It is the Greystones regatta, great to see all the different fleets converging this afternoon, sails in every direction you looked.

It is the Greystones regatta, great to see all the different fleets converging this afternoon, sails in every direction you looked.

Haven't done that one :)

Stheno wrote: »
    Haven't done that one :)

Put it in your diary for next year, it's the BEST crack!

Most boring race ever down today, mind you, we thought we'd never get there (or wind up in Wales)

Pray for wind for us tomorrow, can't take another day fluking around the place like today!!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Put it in your diary for next year, it's the BEST crack!

Most boring race ever down today, mind you, we thought we'd never get there (or wind up in Wales)

Pray for wind for us tomorrow, can't take another day fluking around the place like today!!

Todays race was the ISORA to Greystones?

ISORA, feeder races from Wicklow, DL, Poolbeg and Howth along with a couple of classes doing their own thing on the way, looked fantastic from the balcony of the new club house, finish line got busy at times!
    I am just going to potter around in the white sails with the kids and a couple of their dinghy friends just to give them a feel for keelboat racing without too much pressure, hopefully lay the foundation for proper racing in the future.

Stheno wrote: »
    Todays race was the ISORA to Greystones?

There was the ISORA, but also DBSC ran Cr1, 2 and 3 Saturday races as coastal races down to Greystones as feeders for the regatta tomorrow. First time that's happened! Other fleets did their normal Saturday race and some came down after.

Great night had (as always), shoulda gone to bed hours ago (as always).... keep up with the praying for wind for us tomorrow please!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I cannot imagine there was much racing at Greystones today - saw lots of boats motoring up the coast, most did not even bother with a main.
    @Heidi - has your boat in-mast furling? (pls excuse blunt question!)

There was only one race in Greystones due to the reducing wind. Only 3 of 28 boats in the white sails fleet finished a shortened course and only 5 of the cruisers 3 finished their course.

• Advertisement

We were in the white sails, almost all of us got caught too far from the start line when the wind dropped, I think only about 7 managed to start before the time limit.
    We were keeping out of the way of the other fleets starts and just couldn't make it back up in time as we went too far south.
    My two 12 year old crew took it in their stride and announced that they were starving and could they start on the sandwiches :-)

I heard the call over the radio letting any white sails that had not got to the start were to late, did not realise so many had not got out. We were 30 seconds off the start when the gun went, our worst start this year, with one boat just ahead of us. The approach to the windward mark was hard going with the tide so strong, but second time round was much better.

We had just finished our sandwiches and fought over the remaining mars bars when they abandoned.

The new club house is great, we were there 2 years ago when the old club house was over by the Marina Village, kind of liked the old club house, but it was a bit tight for space:)

It took us over 7 minutes to get over our start line :eek:

We decided to be all clever and put up jibs and spinnies before the start, so we knew everything was rigged right - but also decided to stay out of the way of other fleets and wound up halfway to Arklow by the time we copped!!!

We really, really need to start taking notes of these things - EXACTLY the same thing happened last time we were down there - most of each fleet failed to start in the first race because everybody got caught rotten by the mega-tide.

Loved the new clubhouse - what a great facility to have! And the hospitality was every bit as good as previous years - it's a must-do event for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

they dont have IRC in greystones just echo??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

neris wrote: »
    they dont have IRC in greystones just echo??

ECHO and adjusted club ECHO

Great race for us in white sails, shame about the wind dying it would have been great to get a second race in. Feels like a very friendly regatta and club.

Yup ECHO only, there were prizes for Standard Echo and Adjusted Club Echo. Their reasoning was that there are so many boats without an IRC cert and because standard echo is typically within a few points of an IRC rating that they would get more boats competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

28692630623_d2615f394f_c.jpg

Something maybe us sailors don't see too often. Admittedly I took this in Vancouver, but does anyone know if this happens anywhere around our coasts?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Conchir wrote: »
    Something maybe us sailors don't see too often. Admittedly I took this in Vancouver, but does anyone know if this happens anywhere around our coasts?

Probably happens at the mouth of the Shannon, from time to time.

I'd say what you are seeing in that picture is 'dirty' river (water) meeting 'clean' sea (water).

You can see this very clearly on a smaller scale when you look down on the harbour in Bray from Bray head after a good winter storm, normally there is a noticeable colour change anyway in Bray, but the storm runoff really shows it up well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I believe they are caused by glacial sediment in the rivers containing copper / iron and clay they do mix eventually when the density equal out. There were photos going around a few years ago saying "where two seas meet but don't mix" but it is a river and the sea.

Advertisement