Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

One I took off the Guadalquivir(Seville) some years ago -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

The was an amazing looking sports boat at the Greystones regatta, I spotted it on the water and thought it was a fiberglass hull with a wood effect vinyl wrap. I was heading up to the Clubhouse to check the results and saw it was a wooden hull, very well kitted out plenty of instruments and very nice sheets and halyards. Anyone know what it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Vexorg wrote: »
    The was an amazing looking sports boat at the Greystones regatta, I spotted it on the water and thought it was a fiberglass hull with a wood effect vinyl wrap. I was heading up to the Clubhouse to check the results and saw it was a wooden hull, very well kitted out plenty of instruments and very nice sheets and halyards. Anyone know what it was?
    I think that was Wavetrain you saw.

Absolutely beautiful boat. Used to belong to Coveney family, we raced against them at Cork Week about 8 years ago.

No idea who owns it now, or where it's based.

Glad i don't have the job of maintaining the finish on it!!!

Who ever has it now is looking after it was very impressive up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Heidi is bang on, that was Wavetrain, based in Greystones now, she is absolutely beautiful.
    Known locally as "the Stick" or "the Log"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Trisch-Trasch (sp?) that sailed from Howth years ago (Otto Glaser owned her) was another that had a beautiful varnished finish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Soufriere in howth is another gorgeous looking bost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Yes, Soufriere is beautiful, but I'm trying to recall varnished boats - the Coveney family seems to have a penchant for them, Golden Apple also was a 'wood' boat with a beautiful finish.

Vexorg wrote: »
    That is one whopper of a jib on Tritsch Tratsch! Wouldn't fancy trying to tack that in a blow :eek:

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    As the season is nearing an end, I was wondering what the norm is regarding where a boat spend it's time over the winter months, particularly those that are moored rather than berthed. Would most people bring them inshore? If you were going to be sailing regularly over the winter would it be common to leave it in the water instead? A friend has a boat that's nearly water ready, and want's to look at getting it into a mooring soon and start sailing it. Is it a waste of money looking to get it moored in the next month or 2 rather than waiting until spring?

Not sure what part of the country you're talking about, but I know in our case (DL harbour, swing mooring) our insurance doesn't cover the winter on a mooring, and in any case the moorings are dropped at the end of the season, so we have to find another home for the boat.

For the first few years we went over to Howth marina - nice to have something else to look at when out for a spin! - but it was quite a hike for us, so then we went into DL marina but it cost a bomb and we only sailed about four times, so since then we've taken the boat out and left it up on the trailer in various places. We were also told along the way that with older boats it can be a good idea to dry them out (no idea if that's accurate or not! Certainly doesn't seem to affect our arch-rivals who stay in the marina year round!!).

So your pal would need to check insurance, and also check if moorings in their area are actually operational all winter.

OSI wrote: »
    Insurance was the main theme I was seeing with a bit of Google alright. I think he was hoping for something around DL, but he'd probably take anything on the East Coast from Malahide down. Sure we'll contact a few clubs anyway and see what they might have for the winter. I see DMYC at least seem to service their moorings during the winter.

He may get a good deal for the winter season from Malahide or Greystones marinas - I think Malahide is nowhere near full, and I've only seen Greystones last weekend when it was bunged, but not sure if generally it's at capacity yet.

Unless it was very, VERY sheltered I'd be nervous of leaving a boat on a mooring over the winter, quite apart from insurance considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

We stay in over the winter, there are some absolutely amazing winter sailing days, we normally get out at least once a week.
    February was the challenge last year we only got out once in the whole month, so I think feb is the time to get sails serviced and cleaned, at least this year I have my furling asymmetric (Technifurl), so I will still be able to get out when my other sails are at the laundry!
    That sail has become my most used sail, definitely my best investment for the boat, it is cut quite flat so I can even beat fairly well, I often use it on its own when I am singlehanded or just out for a faff about. I ordered it about 15% smaller than the recommended asymmetric size for my boat so that I could use it over a wider wind range, wfrom 4kt to about 16kt its grand, anything over that it's a bit of a handful on your own!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Super weekend for DBSC challenge, lots of wind rain and sunshine... knackered after it!

Twas hard going on Saturday alright - and I was possibly in the comfiest spot of all (I mean that in the most relative sense!!), on a committee boat - all credit to the sailors who stayed out and survived the day.

But MAJOR kudos has to go to the young lads (and possibly girls) out doing the mark laying on RIBs in that weather and those seas :eek: Hats off to them, I wouldn't have done it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Having done mark laying and rescue many times in the bay, I can safely say it's a miserable job in rough weather. Serious respect to people who turn up every week for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A member of the coastguard has been killed after their rib capsized off kilkee and a second member has been trapped in a cave for the past four hours.

Article is on the Indo site.

Tragic news to hear, rip to the lady who has died, and may her colleague be rescued safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

I was just reading an article about. Very sad for all involved.

The chapped who was trapped in the cave has been rescued after over four hours thank god.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There were pics of the rib being recovered on an article earlier today. I've never seen a rescue rib as damaged as that before. It's not surprising she lost her life and those pictures really brought home what Caitriona and her colleagues must have been facing into. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bit feckin late for this to only be coming out now

http://afloat.ie/resources/news-update/item/33739-vigilance-after-bray-harbour-engine-thefts
    #BrayHarbour - Boat owners in Bray are urged to be vigilant after a number of engines were stolen from boats in the harbour last month.

The Wicklow Times reports that a number of boats moored in the harbour were apparently targeted by thieves who struck in the early hours of Monday 22 August.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Project threads are probably the best bit of this forum! If you decide to, you'll definitely have the audience for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Daibheid

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/men-arrested-boat-engines-seized-organised-crime-search/2536577/

A tiny debt in the outboard stealing industry expanding in Ireland in recent years.

GARDAÍ seized two boat engines and arrested two men as part of an investigation into organised crime, writes Kelly O’Brien.

The search spanned a number of different areas across Cork City and County.

Gardaí from Cork City, Cork North, and Cork West divisions were all involved in the operation on Monday, along with members of the regional support unit, and the dog unit.

Six locations were searched. Gardaí eventually seized two boat engines.

They also detained two males, aged in their 30s and 40s, who were taken to Cobh garda station.

The men were arrested under Section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act, which means they can be held for up to seven days, before they either have to be charged or released.

A garda spokesperson said that the boat engines were classed as “stolen property”.

“The organisation formed part of a coordinated investigation into the activities of an organised crime group involved in the distribution of stolen property, marine theft, and an aggravated burglary in Cork,” they said.

Anyone with any information that might help is encouraged to contact them via the garda confidential line on 1800 666 111, or to call in to any garda station

I think Fergal needs 1 of these on his new boat

-1x-1.jpg

Full Story here

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-essays/2016-09-30/2016-monaco-yacht-show

when men were men and halyards were lengths of wire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

k847Gi6l.jpg

http://www.isora.org/index.php/latest-news/151-news-2016/516-isora-end-of-season-survey

Invite here to complete a survey regarding ISORA racing - for anyone who does or did race with ISORA, or would like to get involved in offshore racing.

ISORA has come on in leaps and bounds since I first came across it about 10 years ago and they're really making great efforts to promote and improve it for the benefit of both sides of the Irish Sea.

http://www.isora.org/index.php/latest-news/151-news-2016/515-how-father-son-won-rolex-middle-sea-race-talk

Also a talk tomorrow about the double-handed winners of the Middle Sea Race last year. I met them out there and they're an incredible pair! Should be a great story, will bring back memories of a fantastic race!

(I'm not on the payroll of ISORA, i swear! Just came across both of these this evening)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    http://www.isora.org/index.php/latest-news/151-news-2016/515-how-father-son-won-rolex-middle-sea-race-talk

Also a talk tomorrow about the double-handed winners of the Middle Sea Race last year. I met them out there and they're an incredible pair! Should be a great story, will bring back memories of a fantastic race!

(I'm not on the payroll of ISORA, i swear! Just came across both of these this evening)

It's on in Poolbeg YC if anyone is interested. Entry €5 (in aid of RNLI).

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    It's on in Poolbeg YC if anyone is interested. Entry €5 (in aid of RNLI).
    Duh - meant to say that! Thanks.

8pm!

(The perils of typing posts on the phone instead of a real keyboard, takes so much concentration I forget half of what I mean to say :D)

Advertisement