Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We had a crash today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Stheno wrote: »
    We had a crash today :(
    Oh dear... happens the best of us.... go on, tell us what happened!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It will be grand :)

11182028_1392932241032203_6911994840920357604_n_zps7fy0dq0m.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh dear... happens the best of us.... go on, tell us what happened!!

We were on port and trying to duck behind other boats, we saw three but not the fourth and they went smack into the back of us. Our fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

We were on port and trying to duck behind other boats, we saw three but not the fourth and they went smack into the back of us. Our fault
    Commiserations. Hopefully nobody was injured. I think blame could be apportioned unless there was a lot of shouting by them. Did they call starboard? How clearly? If they hit you in the stern could they have not borne off a bit more to pass astern of you? (and protested you if they wanted to.) Generally 'starboard' puts them in the right, but being 'in the right' is no excuse bad seamanship!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

I assume this was in Howth yesterday? I noticed that during their beats to their individual weather marks in the first race of the day the Inshore and Offshore fleets crossed each other a lot - think the race officers should have kept them a bit further apart. There was a lot of near misses.

Commiserations. Hopefully nobody was injured. I think blame could be apportioned unless there was a lot of shouting by them. Did they call starboard? How clearly? If they hit you in the stern could they have not borne off a bit more to pass astern of you? (and protested you if they wanted to.) Generally 'starboard' puts them in the right, but being 'in the right' is no excuse bad seamanship!
    +1

First rule of sailing - avoid collisions! That applies to both port AND starboard tack boats.

I'm forever asking crew to confirm that we're alright underneath while on stbd beat, and get really annoyed when they say "but sure we're on stbd" :mad:

BowWow wrote: »
    I assume this was in Howth yesterday? I noticed that during their beats to their individual weather marks in the first race of the day the Inshore and Offshore fleets crossed each other a lot - think the race officers should have kept them a bit further apart. There was a lot of near misses.

I wouldn't blane the OOD. S#1t happens, boat speeds vary, wind direction changes, evenings are closing in, boats need to finish. The person holding the tiller has ultimate responsibility. Not insisting on stbd rights is sometimes the better call. (I know nothing about Stheno's prang, just that I've sometimes lost a place on a mark by avoiding a similar incident, even though I've had either starboard or water rights. Seamanship and civility, that's what counts, not the rulebook.)

To be honest I don't know, I was on the rail happily daydreaming when it all happened. Less than a foot would have been the difference between crash and no crash. There were a lot of boats in a very small area. Aside from me getting a mild concussion, no one was hurt

BowWow wrote: »

It was. There was a raft of protests after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

I believe theres a hearing scheduled for 8:15 tomorrow night. guess someones gona be missing dinner

neris wrote: »
    I believe theres a hearing scheduled for 8:15 tomorrow night. guess someones gona be missing dinner

Grief that's late

Turns out it was last night not tonight.

Whoops! :eek::eek:

Major boo-boo on the part of the Phaedo3 navigator in the Middle Sea Race last night, wouldn't fancy being in his shoes when they get ashore (in second place :D )

http://www.rolexmiddlesearace.com/news/?ID=440&

The tracker makes for compelling viewing!!!

http://www.rolexmiddlesearace.com/tracker/#pt

the lads on Bam got entangled in a lobster pot and were stopped for an hour trying to get it off

If anyone's planning on a trip to cowes for some sailing next summer and gets stuck waiting for the ferry back to Southampton I'd highly recommend not having a pint in the pub right beside the ferry terminal. How not to kill an hour in cowes.

the lads on Bam got entangled in a lobster pot and were stopped for an hour trying to get it off

That's bad seamanship, it should not take an hour. We would round on the youngest (male) crewmember and blame him for not keeping a proper lookout. Then he would be forced overboard in his jocks to untangle it. Fifteen minutes max. :p

not really sailing but was on ferry back from Holyhead yesterday evening and they were doing a training excercise with the coast guard helicopter. have more vids but cant get them off my phone for now to edit

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cricalix

cricalix wrote: »

Did you think it would be rejected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cricalix

Did you think it would be rejected?
    I thought there was a reasonable chance that it would be rejected, given the fact Dublin Port is dredging, renewing, and talking of reorganising their layout.

Found this on youtube, quality isn't great but to be expected. Sailing in Dun Laoghaire in the 1920s

And another from the 1930s. Look like Howth 17s at start

Nice links, thanks for putting them up. It was very unusual to have colour cine photography in the 1930’s, and very expensive. Some looks as if taken from the front of the Irish (RIYC)?
    Definitely Howth 17’s and also Water Wags. Some that look like Dublin Bay 21’s and 24’s, but the latter were not racing in the 1930’s – I wonder are they Dublin Bay 25’s?
    Pedro,
    who is old enough to have sailed (as a small boy) on a gaff-rigged 21 and crewed a few times on a 24!

Theres a boat in the 2nd video with number 2 on the sail which is a 17 called Pauline thats still sailing. Theres a new 21 built down in France thats sailing and the old boats are rotting awayi in a field in wicklow

Theres a boat in the 2nd video with number 2 on the sail which is a 17 called Pauline thats still sailing. Theres a new 21 built down in France thats sailing and the old boats are rotting awayi in a field in wicklow
    Yes, shame about the 21/24's. The plan was to restore them as a fleet and have them for charter in the Med, Villefranche I think.

Any updates from Heidi? Did she jump ship in the Caribbean for a leisurely life of sun, sand and cocktails or on her return has she taken to the bed & duvet to avoid the cold?

First boat only finished ARC on Monday and that was Rambler 88

I'm here! Sunning myself in the fablus Caribbean having arrived Friday 8pm local time (utc-4). And enjoying lots of the local rum punch, which i reckon we've well earned!!!

Rambler was in the main ARC, we were in the ARC+ via a stop off in Cape Verde ... they set off four days after we left Cape Verde, sailed 1000 miles more than us, and still beat us by days. That's some sailing!!

It's been a fantastic adventure.... there's a blog which I'll try to find a link to in case anyone is interested in our musings over the guts of one month and approx 3000 nautical miles.

Very glad i did it, but very glad to be finished!!

https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/event.aspx

(Boat name is Endeavour of Cork, if that link works)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A photo on FB of a beautiful restored vintage 1958 blue Evinrude looking great except for the brown wheelie bin it's mounted on. Now who would do such a thing.

Advertisement