Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

tricky D wrote: »
    A photo on FB of a beautiful restored vintage 158 blue Evinrude looking great except for the brown wheelie bin it's mounted on. Now who would do such a thing.

It has a vintage johnson on it at the moment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'll assume that's the engine brand you are referring to and not some in yer endo slang. ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

tricky D wrote: »
    I'll assume that's the engine brand you are referring to and not some in yer endo slang. ;)

Going through some of the photos on Lough Corrib FB page https://www.facebook.com/loughcorribireland/photos/a.779428508823312.1073741842.433657466733753/908121392620689/?type=3&comment_id=909928975773264&notif_t=photo_reply&notif_id=1480968156636017 I found a photo of the engine on the back of a Con Hickey built boat , the photo was taken on Inchagoill beach 48 years ago.

15230763_908121392620689_2503208934956312148_n_zpsu6ue2ds8.jpg

2012-05-11093751.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Wow, she's a beauty (the engine that is)

I have to say, I've never appreciated an outboard as something that could look good until now. I'll have to start viewing them in a different light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

For context, these are the type of outboards I'm used to.

xyX8Wej.png?1

Not quite the same style :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Two copies listed here
    will leave them listed as is on adverts but if anyone is interested I am sure we can come to some reasonable accommodation:they are in Malahide
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-books-magazines/complete-sailing-manual-book-1999/11926401

They are in perfect condition except for some annotations which I will cut off

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Last race of the Turkey shoot in DL this weekend...

There shall be beer whatever happens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Steve wrote: »
    Last race of the Turkey shoot in DL this weekend...

There shall be beer whatever happens :D
    Fierce exciting, wasn't it?

High octane stuff :D

Lovely to be back out in Dublin Bay though.

(had to skip the beer unfortunately to, family duties called)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Fierce exciting, wasn't it?

High octane stuff :D

Lovely to be back out in Dublin Bay though.

(had to skip the beer unfortunately to, family duties called)

Lol - it was nail biting stuff alright... :D

You survived the atlantic then?!

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    Lol - it was nail biting stuff alright... :D

You survived the atlantic then?!
    I did!!

Very depressed being back - haven't warmed up yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Very depressed being back - haven't warmed up yet :(

We did wonder !

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the watery and boaty people of this forum!

Here's wishing us all a safe and sound, but most of all FUN, 2017!!!

(here's where I'd like to insert xmas trees and santys and presents and..... but haven't a clue how to :D)

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the watery and boaty people of this forum!

Here's wishing us all a safe and sound, but most of all FUN, 2017!!!

(here's where I'd like to insert xmas trees and santys and presents and..... but haven't a clue how to :D)

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!

And to you :)

Merry Christmas everyone

Happy Christmas all! All the water is frozen here but it's just as much fun!

Greetings from the alps!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Happy New Year everyone!

Sad news from the Vendee Globe Enda O'Coineen lost his mast and is out of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

So who's got what planned for the year ahead? DL entry in for 1 boat already and a trip to France booked with it aswell for May. Need to get other resprayed and put back together and hope the spindly little dionsaur rig stays up.

Stheno wrote: »
    Happy New Year everyone!

Sad news from the Vendee Globe Enda O'Coineen lost his mast and is out of the race.

Easy fix :D

15747503_1367487103296379_2792609666542885548_n_zpsjqegoptj.jpg

fergal.b wrote: »

Not when you are 180km offshore with a holed deck:pac:

Stheno wrote: »
    fergal.b wrote: »

Not when you are 180km offshore with a holed deck:pac:

And you don't have a carbon fibre Xmas tree. Someone really needs to take fergal on a proper boat this year

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    And you don't have a carbon fibre Xmas tree. Someone really needs to take fergal on a proper boat this year

Actually I was very tempted by this little girl http://afloat.ie/boats-for-sale/dinghies-one-designs/403-barn-find if all my funds weren't going on the cruiser I'd buy her, proper boats are made of wood :)

Would you pass the interview?

One of ours is all wood. Lots of sanding stripping varnishing and more varnishing. You can come help

Enda O Coineen on Sean O'Rourke RTE1 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

So who's got what planned for the year ahead? DL entry in for 1 boat already and a trip to France booked with it aswell for May. Need to get other resprayed and put back together and hope the spindly little dionsaur rig stays up.

We are moving to Class 1 this year, getting in some practice for an April start, plenty of work needed, rig tuning, new spinnaker halyards, new spinnakers, cam cleats need servicing and some of the instruments have failed. Will need a few more crew on the panel also, the odd days of racing with 3 & 4 wont cut it:)

DL regatta entry in for our boat.... fingers crossed we're one of the lucky ones who'll get the fee refunded :D

First "adventure" of the year (of many, hopefully!) booked - an offshore race from Spain to Ibiza at Easter....

My New Year's Resolution for this season is to not to try and do everything I want/is available, and wind up doing nothing properly, like happened last year. A healthy balance of round-the-cans/offshore/race-officering, while fitting a small bit of work in between :D

ETA - and thanks Vexorg - you've just reminded me, I need to put in an order for a new jib!!

Vexorg wrote: »
    We are moving to Class 1 this year, getting in some practice for an April start, plenty of work needed, rig tuning, new spinnaker halyards, new spinnakers, cam cleats need servicing and some of the instruments have failed. Will need a few more crew on the panel also, the odd days of racing with 3 & 4 wont cut it:)

Good luck with the crew, finding crew now a days is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I basically didn't sail in 2016 as I was pregnant/had a newborn for all of it. Now that the little guy is 3 months old I have a yen to get back out there asap. Probably be a month or two yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cricalix

I'll be selling my 21' (before the season I hope), since I've traded up to a Victoria 34 that's currently sitting in Wales waiting for me to arrange things like new rigging. Then hopefully I find enough time to go and do something that's a bit more than "Sail around Dublin Bay" in the 34

Anyone know a decent sprayer/sprayshop in Dublin that would do prep aswell as paint job on topsides, decks, coach roof & cockpit on grp hull? Have 1 place recommended but want to get few prices

• Advertisement

Anyone know a decent sprayer/sprayshop in Dublin that would do prep aswell as paint job on topsides, decks, coach roof & cockpit on grp hull? Have 1 place recommended but want to get few prices

You could try Alan in http://www.powermarine.ie/

Advertisement