Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

neris wrote: »
    Anyone know a decent sprayer/sprayshop in Dublin that would do prep aswell as paint job on topsides, decks, coach roof & cockpit on grp hull? Have 1 place recommended but want to get few prices

Graham Noonan, (Noonan Boats down in Newcastle) not cheap, but excellent work.
    http://www.noonanboats.com/boat-painting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Noonan's work is first rate, have first hand experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you are not doing anything on Sunday:

RIYC CHARITY RACE - SUNDAY 8TH JANUARY

BRUSH THE CHRISTMAS COBWEBS AWAY!!
    Why not ring in the New Year on the water at our Charity Race
    Plenty of prizes, to include:
    ‘Best Dressed Boat’
    ‘Family Boat’
    ‘Most Committed Boat’

Proceeds will go to RNLI, Hot dish €8 and craic in the RIYC Wet Bar afterwards See here for Entry and SI’s
    Date: Sunday 8th January 2017
    Time: start signal 11am

All boats are eligible to enter

Entry Fee: (minimum donation) €30.00 (includes temporary membership of Royal Irish Yacht Club)
    But we would suggest minimum €5 per person on board as a reasonable contribution.

http://www.riyc.ie/2016/10/riyc-charity-race-8th-january-2017.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Forecast looks lovely for Sunday - should be a good outing. Unfortunately I'm working :mad:

How on earth will they judge "Most Committed Boat"? :confused: Or is that just another Fintan special?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Forecast looks lovely for Sunday - should be a good outing. Unfortunately I'm working :mad:

How on earth will they judge "Most Committed Boat"? :confused: Or is that just another Fintan special?

Aw that sucks.

No idea, I'll try and get some intel if he's at the match on Friday lol..:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

This would be something like steve being on the bow and going overboard tangled in the spinny sheet but the team come back to win :D

Stheno wrote: »
    This would be something like steve being on the bow and going overboard tangled in the spinny sheet but the team come back to win :D

You are so banned!!! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Steve wrote: »
    You are so banned!!! :D:D:D

Shure fintan gave you a prize for that before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Come back to pick him up more like :D

There was no chance they were coming back for me.. I had to hang on to the kite with the boat doing 8 kts and surf back to the rail... :D

• Advertisement

There was no chance they were coming back for me.. I had to hang on to the kite with the boat doing 8 kts and surf back to the rail... :D

Ah now in fairness they did pull you back on board

Eventually...

/manuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Eventually...

I heard it was because somebody realised that they would be disqualified if they finished without the same number of crew that they started with...:p :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Shure fintan gave you a prize for that before :pac:

A headscarf, to keep his hair dry :pac:

Fastnet entries all taken in less then 5 minutes
    It's a RECORD!!

The entry limit (340 boats) for the 2017 Rolex Fastnet Race was reached at 12:04:24.563, a time of 4 minutes 24 seconds!

#rorcracing #rorcrfr

Been built in France at the moment. 1st ones were built in Carrickfergus and a few were built in dun laoghaire

https://m.facebook.com/pg/Skolarmor.officiel/photos/?tab=album&album_id=334319020248112

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

So the other thread got me thinking, but I'm having trouble working it out or finding answers online. I've a basic understanding of things from dinghy sailing, but hopefully someone here has a better understanding of the mechanics involved.

Putting it very simply, on a sailing boat, you have the centre of effort (the sails) and the centre of lateral resistance (below the waterline, especially the centreboard/keel). These two combine to give a kind of overall centre of effort for the boat (is there a particular name for this I've forgotten?). I've a basic understanding of how they interact, how if they're properly balanced the helm will be balanced, or you might have a slight weather helm etc.

I've two questions really. Firstly, does the centre of effort act as the turning point of the boat? And then, how does its position (forward/middle/aft) affect the boat performance? For instance, I know if you rake the mast forward, that moves the centre of effort forward, I've forgotten what that does though :o

Some yoke built down in Cark in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Named for HMS Thunder Child maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BoltzmannBrain

Interview with Frank Kowalski, MD of Safehaven Marine.

http://coastmonkey.ie/safehaven-marine-md-talks-thunder-child/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Posted on Howth 17 Footers Association FB yesterday;
    La nouveau 'Dix-Sept' has her topside planks secured...
    neris wrote: »
    Been built in France at the moment. 1st ones were built in Carrickfergus and a few were built in dun laoghaire

https://m.facebook.com/pg/Skolarmor.officiel/photos/?tab=album&album_id=334319020248112

At 04.15 and 07.00 you can see how they were a bitc# to control downwind!
    A few were flying a blooper, I’d forgotten about them; a distraction, never really filled properly.
    Here's one from my archive, I've not too many on this computer, have to dig out some from elsewhere.

1976 half ton cup. Won by Silver shamrock. Think Cudmore was the skipper and the lads went for a spin up the canal in Venice kite and all after.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Could be handy to have onboard any boat.

So, yesterday morning, Dublin Bay looked like the med in summer.

What's missing from the photo is the freezing crew and the ice we just washed off the deck!

No wind so no racing unfortunately.

lHFaQxR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

We were out training for a couple of hours on Saturday, 14-17 knots. Glad we did not pick Sunday for our session.

• Advertisement

Vexorg wrote: »
    We were out training for a couple of hours on Saturday, 14-17 knots. Glad we did not pick Sunday for our session.
    Sunday was mainly just wet. Gladder I'd bet that it was not today (Monday), with gusts of F 6+. Even the gannets stayed at home.

Advertisement