Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Some nice photos from yesterday in the bay!

Plenty of wind to keep us on our toes :D

http://afloat.photoshelter.com/gallery/DBSC-Spring-Chicken-2017/G0000rEPI39cxlTQ/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Steve wrote: »
    Some nice photos from yesterday in the bay!

Plenty of wind to keep us on our toes :D

http://afloat.photoshelter.com/gallery/DBSC-Spring-Chicken-2017/G0000rEPI39cxlTQ/

Not sorry i missed that tbh!!!

Who was the blue J109 broaching?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Looks like Dear Prudence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

The broaching in pics 4 and 5 looks exciting and you guys look flat and fast at Turning.

Are your spinnaker sheets on the cockpit winchs?

Vexorg wrote: »
    The broaching in pics 4 and 5 looks exciting and you guys look flat and fast at Turning.

Are your spinnaker sheets on the cockpit winchs?

Ah, we had a few spins as well, thankfully not on camera :D

Yes, sheets onto the primaries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OMG I'm excited.

Last year I got to crew on the three lighthouse race with the ISORA guys and I made a mistake so thought they would never ever entertain me again.

Emailed the chair of ISORA last night and am going to the pre-season briefing hopefully to meet skippers, and get to know people, and maybe find a boat to crew on!

Also thinking of doing the yachtmaster to improve my woeful knowledge, but mega excited about the ISORAs :)

Fingers crossed for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Ain't no sailor who hasn't made a mistake!

Don't be guilty (like most of us) of focusing on your mistakes, focus on how awesome you can be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

juke wrote: »
    Ain't no sailor who hasn't made a mistake!

Don't be guilty (like most of us) of focusing on your mistakes, focus on how awesome you can be.

It was a day last year when the gusts in DL hit close to 40knts, I remember coming in and the last leg taking an age, and thinking I was going to puke.

I love the long races, even on the rail, there's chat, time to snooze, relax, and enjoy life, outside of the turbuulence.

Go for it.

The experience is life changing.

I have thousands of offshore miles under my belt, still learn something new every trip.

Go for it.

The experience is life changing.

I have thousands of offshore miles under my belt, still learn something new every trip.

On my one offshore event last year, we'd a screw up with the spinnaker, my part in it was leaving the lever (forget the wrong term) that slowed the sheet down open, so we'd no spinnaker, so I was on the rail.

Otherwise I'd have been on strings, am absolutely going to go for it, going to email hyc tomorrow about the yachtmaster, and asking them if they know what boats in Howth do the ISORA as there as one or two and that would really suit me to join them if they are looking for crew

• Advertisement

Let me know (pm) what they suggest, I probably know the skippers and know you so can advise if it will be a good match.

Offshore racing is about endurance, managing sleep with racing and keeping the crew fed and happy yet alert more than anything. If you can do that then mistakes are diminished and races are won.

I've been on everything from booze cruises where I was left driving for 12 hrs on my own to full on racing where the only nourishment was sugar tablets and red bull..

Let me know (pm) what they suggest, I probably know the skippers and know you so can advise if it will be a good match.

Offshore racing is about endurance, managing sleep with racing and keeping the crew fed and happy yet alert more than anything. If you can do that then mistakes are diminished and races are won.

I've been on everything from booze cruises where I was left driving for 12 hrs on my own to full on racing where the only nourishment was sugar tablets and red bull..

I'd a good experience on my one ISORA so, loads of food sharing and taking care of each other :)

Bam is one of the boats in Howth doing ISORA, I'll let you know by pm if any others are

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd a good experience on my one ISORA so, loads of food sharing and taking care of each other :)

Bam is one of the boats in Howth doing ISORA, I'll let you know by pm if any others are

Bams some where down the med on way to uk to do a season of single handed season and then off to do the ostar

Looks like they dont seem to know whats going on or what theyre beside. No urgency to get the jib in and useless steering into the wave with no power

Wow. That's nasty.

Longer version of the same:

Thankfully all the crew made it ashore.

Wow. That's nasty.

Longer version of the same:

Thankfully all the crew made it ashore.

Where did it happen?

Where did it happen?
    Redondo Beach in Los Angeles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redondo_Beach_pier

Lads does anyone know offhand if the national is the club in dl growth is twinned with?

Thought it was the George but not 100% sure.

Lads does anyone know offhand if the national is the club in dl growth is twinned with?

Yes (take it you mean howth)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yep, checked this morning and it is indeed!

That's not to say that others aren't, but the NYC definitely is.

Yup deffo NYC, just spoke to someone about it who knows.

First sail of the year today, just a "lets get together and check everything" few hours out.

It was just lovely, lovely weather calm seas.

As there wasn't much wind, I'd a go on the mainsheet for about an hour, learning what needs to be done if you are on the main. Twas good, really enjoyed it, now I'd not do it in heavy winds as I wouldn't be strong enough but I was chuffed to discover that it is doable for me :)

Spent an hour or so on the balcony in HYC afterwards, it was a fab day to just sit there and chill out.

I'm now sat on the couch going "oh jesus" as the doms in my legs kick in.

Must get fitter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Spent an hour or so on the balcony in HYC afterwards, it was a fab day to just sit there and chill out.

There's something special about sailing club balconies, in the sun after a sail. I don't know what exactly, but after getting in from a nice sail and getting changed, sitting on the balcony for a while and just relaxing is something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Conchir wrote: »
    .......sitting on the balcony for a while and just relaxing is something else.
    Quite. But it is much better when you have a glass of something cold in your hand.;)
    Conchir wrote: »
    There's something special about sailing club balconies
    Never sailed a club balcony in my life. Nasty unwieldy things, that often move, lurch and even sway late in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Never sailed a club balcony in my life. Nasty unwieldy things, that often move, lurch and even sway late in the evening

As long as its crew is lurching and swaying along with it, they're much more manageable.

Hate that........

Its in French but you get the idea.

http://mobile2.24heures.ch/articles/58d69c9fab5c372c71000001

Le bateau is, as the Irish say, Bollixt..:D

• Advertisement

Looks like one ofthe supports gave way. Wonder did he come around the bend too fast and put weight on one side of thetrailer

Advertisement