Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fab weekend :)

Munster game yesterday, then sailing this morning, there was bugger all wind, so I got to helm for an hour (I'm still one of those crap helms that has to helm to a point, in this case the edge of Lambay, or according to the compass), then I did the mainsheet for another hour or so.

To those of you who know me to be a tiny creature when it comes to "weighing" people as sailors, we'd 5-9 knots of wind at most, so was a lovely opportunity to have a go at something I'd rarely get to do if we were racing.

Gave me loads of confidence that were we stuck some night racing and it was light winds, I could cope.

I was ****e though with adjusting the track when tacking if you know what I mean? Just a case of practice though I reckon.

Then home and the Leinster game.

Can't ask for better, a weekend of rugby and sailing :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stheno wrote: »
    Can't ask for better, a weekend of rugby and sailing :)

Would've been better if Leinster won but otherwise Yay \o/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Steve wrote: »
    Would've been better if Leinster won but otherwise Yay \o/

In the 65th minute I believed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Stheno wrote: »
    (I'm still one of those crap helms that has to helm to a point, in this case the edge of Lambay, or according to the compass),

I was ****e though with adjusting the track when tacking if you know what I mean? Just a case of practice though I reckon.

Just catching up on this thread. I think you are being unfair to yourself. If you can maintain a heading and in particular sail a compass course you are doing well – I know several people who have sailed for years and still forget which way to put the helm when correcting their course to keep on a compass heading. Except when racing upwind most people sail to a mark, be it a racing mark, buoy, headland, pier, whatever, (making allowances for tide and lee-way). You sail to that mark and let the sail-trimmers handle the rest.

On the wind is where you will develop your sailing skills. Just before going about I look dead abeam to mark roughly where I will point the boat on the next tack. When beating, the key item to watch is the luff of the headsail. If you are sailing too close it will lift and shiver/flutter, so ease off. Light woollen telltales on the headsail are invaluable, they are the best indicator of airflow. The biggest mistake in beating is hauling in the sheet too hard (thereby flattening the sail and spoiling its aerodynamic shape) or pointing too close. Easing off the sheet by a couple of inches and sailing off another couple of degrees will do wonders for boatspeed.

Don't worry about the traveller/track in light winds, just leave it in the centre and forget about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just catching up on this thread. I think you are being unfair to yourself. If you can maintain a heading and in particular sail a compass course you are doing well ? I know several people who have sailed for years and still forget which way to put the helm when correcting their course to keep on a compass heading. Except when racing upwind most people sail to a mark, be it a racing mark, buoy, headland, pier, whatever, (making allowances for tide and lee-way). You sail to that mark and let the sail-trimmers handle the rest.

On the wind is where you will develop your sailing skills. Just before going about I look dead abeam to mark roughly where I will point the boat on the next tack. When beating, the key item to watch is the luff of the headsail. If you are sailing too close it will lift and shiver/flutter, so ease off. Light woollen telltales on the headsail are invaluable, they are the best indicator of airflow. The biggest mistake in beating is hauling in the sheet too hard (thereby flattening the sail and spoiling its aerodynamic shape) or pointing too close. Easing off the sheet by a couple of inches and sailing off another couple of degrees will do wonders for boatspeed.

Don't worry about the traveller/track in light winds, just leave it in the centre and forget about it.

Pretty much.

I've been helming a good many years and it's a bit like an instrument scan on an aircraft.
    Check point of reference (if you have one), check telltales (upwind) or course (offwind) or AWA (downwind) check boatspeed, glance at what crew are doing. Rinse and repeat. Once you master that, you start to 'feel' the boat and are able to feather in gusts etc so the main trim has less work and you gain a slight pointing advantage. Everything is subtle but the scan above is a good grounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Hi Guys,

Can't just ask? If I get an extended permit from waterways Ireland. Where can I keep my boat?

Is it just anywhere I want?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Irish News ?
    'Malicious act of vandalism' - safety boat belonging to youth club slashed and engine stolen

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/malicious-act-of-vandalism-safety-boat-belonging-to-youth-club-slashed-and-engine-stolen-35691109.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

neris wrote: »
    I see that Kyron has just posted that 3 engines have been found hidded behind the west pier. It's disgusting that this should happen. Kyron has worked so hard for years building up that Club.
    Jim

Is there still a 'cultural community' living behind the west pier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

After about five years on the hard (busy with life) I'm finally getting round to giving my Corribee the attention it deserves. There's a bit of work to be done, so I'm going to take my time and aim to have her in the water next year. In the mean time I hope to do a bit of crewing locally to get back into the swing of it.

First up the inboard is coming out this year to see if it can be resurrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is this the worst start to a DBSC season in living memory?

It certainly is in our sailing career!

A grand total of 2 out of 8 races so far :mad:

Yeah it's been a bit nuts :)

have a feeling the answer will be no but any one know any shops around the dublin area that have a decent large selection of blocks and cleats? need to rig a few purchase systems and 2 places near me on northside have a a poxy selection of various sized blocks and cleats. Tried uk online stores but postage price is putting me off and delivery times could be to tight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I have used Mast and Rigging in Donabate recently for Tyleska and Harken gear, anything not in stock was in in a couple of days and prices were similar or less than uk suppliers. There is also Marine Parts Direct in Swords. Viking Marine in Dun Laoghaire, dont have a large stock on hand but you may be lucky.

Marine parts I tried. Totally forgot about masts and rigging :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

neris wrote: »
    have a feeling the answer will be no but any one know any shops around the dublin area that have a decent large selection of blocks and cleats? need to rig a few purchase systems and 2 places near me on northside have a a poxy selection of various sized blocks and cleats. Tried uk online stores but postage price is putting me off and delivery times could be to tight

Parcel Motel?

Those that know what this is will appreciate it... :)

Kmztowj.jpg

Celtic mist?

Yep, I reckon so. Came across it on facebook.

Some goose neck

efqip.jpg

• Advertisement

Is that a H17?

Is that a H17?

I reckon so

Is that a H17?

Yep

not very sail friendly if you have to reef.

2rmkqip.jpg

Awesome pic!

Some transom on that. Julian Everett design.

image10.jpg?w=1296

Playing to the IOR Rule? The half-tonner Eliminator in Dun L was an Everett design.
    (somebody left the stb. spinny sheet in the water!)

Playing to the IOR Rule? The half-tonner Eliminator in Dun L was an Everett design.
    (somebody left the stb. spinny sheet in the water!)

Alot of the IOR designs from the 70s and early 80s were pig ugly. Pinched sterns, tiny cockpits, fat bottoms

• Advertisement

20170519_135633.jpg

Advertisement