Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Spotted this yoke this morning. Some beast

20170521_132410.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Are you Sailing/Racing or buying another boat?

Pleasure Sailing down in France. 6 from howth down & wags from dun laoghaire aswell

A wooden dooer upper for fergal. Some amount of boats lying abandoned in the yard we were in

20170521_124234.jpg

Looks like you have good weather too. Enjoy and keep the pics coming.

• Advertisement

Weathers cracking already burnt.

20170521_132446.jpg

20170522_160154.jpg

Fupin southsiders
    20170522_160037.jpg

20170522_161326.jpg

How one of the traditional yacht chandlers products their brochures

20170522_174550.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sounds like your having a great time! Keep flying the HYC flag.. :cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm not able to sail at the minute due to an injury so tomorrow I start learning about being a race officer :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm not able to sail at the minute due to an injury so tomorrow I start learning about being a race officer :)

It's a bit like flying a plane.

(Takeoff) Manic prep for the start, get all the flags and timing right, look for OCS..

(Cruise) Then boredom. Bring cards and small change...

(Landing) Then more mania as the finishers roll in and you try and get numbers and times right..

It's great craic, and hopefully you'll learn about how the OOD goes about deciding the course. :D

It's an experience everyone who races should have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We must be more civilized in Howth

One brings nice biscuits for the cruise and the ability to converse on a wide range of subjects.

As for the finishers the tone degenerates significantly while waiting for the Muppet who is miles behind to finish with much anticipation of the race finish time :pac:

You should try bringing cake, sausages, and coffee with brown milk ... you'd have a job for life :D

20170523_142406.jpg

A mirror with an outboard
    20170523_115924.jpg

Few from today. Have a good few pics I'll upload when I get home

20170523_121741.jpg

20170523_124237.jpg

20170523_163040.jpg

So I thoroughly enjoyed my evening as the official "Assistant Race Officer" (partly due to the crew who were supposed to show up to man the starting hut being rather late.

I learned loads, it was really interesting, and I've been invited back! It appears I've taken in a bit more than a realised in my few years of sailing which was nice to learn.

I did a quick google on how to become a race officer and discovered the ISA have an entire programme dedicated to developing race officers, so I'm going to do a few more stints at it, and if I enjoy it as much as I did this evening, I might chat to the RO I was working with today about looking into it more :)

Now it was a gorgeous evening and our two fleets were small (6 and 3 boats respectively) so as we were just the two of us we were able to manage and with the lovely weather loads of people out walking on the pier stopped to ask questions or chat and I discovered that race officers appear to know everyone, we'd a booboo with one of our fleets where over half of them didn't hear/notice a course change, so got DSQ'd so the chats in the bar after were interesting.

I was fierce impressed with myself as we were looking at the (fancy piece of kit that reads the windex and send the results to a screen, sounded like an enuminator?) wind readings on the screen and the RO took me out to do a visual check, and I got it right with his opinion (there were five degrees in the difference we both thought, but the screen thing was out a bit more.

Amazing the amount of stuff you just learn without realising, I just looked up at it, and went "I reckon that's about 240"

Anyway another aspect of sailing to explore :) Especially as I am getting old and feeble :)

The afters of when you try to fight 8 knots of French tide with a wooden tiller

20170524_115732.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Now it was a gorgeous evening and our two fleets were small (6 and 3 boats respectively) so as we were just the two of us we were able to manage and with the lovely weather loads of people out walking on the pier stopped to ask questions or chat and I discovered that race officers appear to know everyone, we'd a booboo with one of our fleets where over half of them didn't hear/notice a course change, so got DSQ'd so the chats in the bar after were interesting.
    Just off the phone with the sister who got caught out by this one. (Yellow spinny, the one in the 2nd squib group) They were a bit miffed at being at the end of the fleet instead of 1st place like the 2 previous weeks. I could see the situation unfold from my perch and was wondering about the huge gap. Interesting rule - where the hell has my rule book gone???

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OSI wrote: »
    As long as you didn't pull a DBSC and change the finish line after a number of the class had already crossed the original finish line. That was a ****show.

When did that happen??? :eek:

OSI wrote: »
    As long as you didn't pull a DBSC and change the finish line after a number of the class had already crossed the original finish line. That was a ****show.

No what happened was the RO got on the radio before the two fleets started, told the first fleet their course, and the second fleet that there course was likely to change.
    The course change was put up on the board about 30 seconds after the class flag for the second fleet but they didn't notice it, and some of the fleet didn't have radios.

• Advertisement

So I thoroughly enjoyed my evening as the official "Assistant Race Officer" (partly due to the crew who were supposed to show up to man the starting hut being rather late.

I learned loads, it was really interesting, and I've been invited back! It appears I've taken in a bit more than a realised in my few years of sailing which was nice to learn.

I did a quick google on how to become a race officer and discovered the ISA have an entire programme dedicated to developing race officers, so I'm going to do a few more stints at it, and if I enjoy it as much as I did this evening, I might chat to the RO I was working with today about looking into it more :)

I was fierce impressed with myself as we were looking at the (fancy piece of kit that reads the windex and send the results to a screen, sounded like an enuminator?) wind readings on the screen and the RO took me out to do a visual check, and I got it right with his opinion (there were five degrees in the difference we both thought, but the screen thing was out a bit more.

Amazing the amount of stuff you just learn without realising, I just looked up at it, and went "I reckon that's about 240"

Anyway another aspect of sailing to explore :) Especially as I am getting old and feeble :)

Any 17s show up?

neris wrote: »
    Any 17s show up?

3 :)

3 :)

Hope the weather was crap for them :D

The majority were enjoying the sun of France

neris wrote: »
    Hope the weather was crap for them :D

The majority were enjoying the sun of France

Twas a lovely evening :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    When did that happen??? :eek:

Last July.

We passed between the committee vessel and boyd assumed they were using boyd as part of the finish line, no gun so went around and came though the finish line from the other direction, waved at them, got the usual wave back, furled the jib and waited a bit until we knew we had the time over the boat we had to beat, we needed the 1 point to win the series, we were heading back in when there was a call from the RO shortening the course between the rib he was on and the last race mark.

When northsiders & southsiders go up river cruising together

20170526_121726.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Search ongoing off Skerries for a crewman whose trawler sank this afternoon. LE Orla and LE Niamh on the scene, and the coast guard helicopter has been hard at work. Hope he's found soon, at least the weather is good.

Conchir wrote: »
    Search ongoing off Skerries for a crewman whose trawler sank this afternoon. LE Orla and LE Niamh on the scene, and the coast guard helicopter has been hard at work. Hope he's found soon, at least the weather is good.

Just heard that on the news, fingers crossed he's found

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Advertisement