Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stheno wrote: »
    Anyone here got Oakley prisms and if yes what are they like for sailing?

No, but I've seen people with them.

They make the exact same noise when they go over the side as a 5 euro pair from Lidl which are just as good (make sure they are CE marked and CAT3 or CAT4 for sailing). :D

I wouldn't waste money on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The proper way to dry the boots is to first sponge them out with fresh water having removed the insoles and rinsed them separately, and then stuff the boots with newspaper, changing it a few times and then leaving them in a well-ventilated space to air dry.
    +1

I rinse out the inside in the shower a couple of times if I ever get salt water in them and leave them to dry naturally. They'll never dry properly if you don't get the salt out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Creedon's Shannon on RTE Sunday the 23rd at 6:30 .... Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Steve wrote: »
    No, but I've seen people with them.

They make the exact same noise when they go over the side as a 5 euro pair from Lidl which are just as good (make sure they are CE marked and CAT3 or CAT4 for sailing). :D

I wouldn't waste money on them.

Get a good 20-40 quid pair of glasses for on the water and keep the pallets for the bar, bike, ski slope, walking or what ever your not going to loose then at. I lost a good of oakleys year's ago when I hit the water and buoyancy aid lifted up and knocked them off my tbe top of head

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Urgh to the rain this evening. And the squalls

• Advertisement

Urgh to the rain this evening. And the squalls

Light lumpy n humid last night, flat blowy n wet tonight. It happens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »

Stupid question, is the middle hull where they would have the accommodation?

Generally would be. Those things are so wide it's unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

So I'm sure most here are somewhat familiar with the Golden Globe Race held in 1968. Well, the idea has been resurrected, with another non-stop solo round the world race set to start from Plymouth at the end of June 2018.

The race rules basically mean that it will be as if the race is being held in 1968 again, no modern boat building techniques or navigation aids are allowed (including GPS! A sextant and notepad will be needed to record positions).

There's an Irish guy who's entered, his bio and the rest of the details are on the website: http://goldengloberace.com/

• Advertisement

Record attempt off due to bad weather on delivery trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Big squall has put paid to tonight's HYC racing. Most appear to be returning, some sails are reefed and someone east of Irelands Eye manged to get a spinny back in after a big tussle.

New boat in howth

20170729_164521.jpg

New boat in howth

20170729_164521.jpg

Saw that yesterday looked fantastic

Who builds them?

Saw that yesterday looked fantastic

Who builds them?

A boat building school in France built that 1. Aren't too many built now.

A boat building school in France built that 1. Aren't too many built now.

If you dont mind me asking how does it get funded?

That one was privately built. Only 4 have been built since 1914. The other 3 were all funded through the class

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Why would they expect that?

Nonsense. :)

Great fun on the start line tonight with a few crashes :eek:

• Advertisement

Really hope this doesn't catch on over here, bad enough seeing some sailing in shorts and tshirts

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2017/07/31/inaugural-world-naked-sailing-day/

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Sweeden has asked all boats returning to harbour to hang a bar code on the side.

They want to scan de navy in!!

Sorry

I read that earlier was a great article and a lovely story.

Enjoyed the info on the past as well

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone else trying to tune in to the Fastnet starts? Has the site crashed or something? I was on there last night, but can't get on at all now.... :(

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Anyone else trying to tune in to the Fastnet starts? Has the site crashed or something? I was on there last night, but can't get on at all now.... :(

this ones working ok

https://livestream.com/accounts/2978835/rolexfastnet2017

some mad looking yokes racing in class 0 on the fastnet

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Daibheid

I just went to the Play store to get the Yellow Brick tracker for my Android phone and buy the Fastnet option to discover it's free.

I'm hoping to get down to the Rock at some point today/tomorrow to get a glimpse of some of the fast boats. I'd planned to combine it with some whale watching but the weather suggests it could be miserable on a RIB loitering out there 😥 and past experience showed it can mean long gaps between boats!
    The tracker might be enough excitement without the misery!

• Advertisement

going by the tracker you might only get to see 1 boat if your lucky. the leading monos are only west of lands end.

on the tracker what are the red boxes off the scilly isles and fastnet? rocks or no go zones?

Advertisement