Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

neris wrote: »
    think i remember the name but not the boat, i would have be racing class 3 in howth in mid-late 90s

there was what looked like a 1/4 with no mast rotting away on a mooring down in poolbeg for the last few years but hasnt been there for about a year

We only did 1 season of Brass Monkies out in Howth, and that must have been around 99/2000?

I know the boat with no mast on the river, and the guy who owned it, he was from Ringsend and I remember when he got it he said he was going to give me a run for my money, as I was usually winning the Wednesday night series in Poolbeg when I was racing, but he never got a mast, and I think he just kept the boat on the mooring to keep his stake on the mooring itself.

In Poolbeg I used to race in Cruisers 1 against 2 DB2’s and a Nicholson 345 amongst a few other bigger boats, as initially I was in Cruisers 2 but cleaned up the season I was there, so went up to 1, and still won as many as we lost, winning one of the 3 series that they had each season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is that boat still there or in the club

Is that boat still there or in the club

I’m not too sure as sadly I haven’t been around the club in a number of years, which is a pity as my father was one of the 5 original founding members.

I’m not too sure as sadly I haven’t been around the club in a number of years, which is a pity as my father was one of the 5 original founding members.

only been in there twice, nice little club and enjoyable to sail up to. always on the look out for a little doer upper old tonner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

In Poolbeg I used to race in Cruisers 1 against 2 DB2’s and a Nicholson 345 .
    I’d guess that the Nich 345 was Joliba? I raced against her in DL
    …… she had a stunning set of McWilliams Mylar headsails, …… which we replaced with a Watson & Jameson Dacron.

When she was sold, I was bought a Ron Holland Quarter Tonner which I succcessfully raced for about 6 years out of Poolbeg in the river Liffey.
    Ah memories.....
    We were one of McWilliams first customers back in the 70’s – got us kicked out of cruisers III into Cruisers II (in DL) which we also won! I stayed with them until I stopped racing and Des always gave us priority. It was he who introduced me to the stretchy luff!
    I remember a quarter tonner named Crazy Jane that sailed from the George in the 80’s and I think that Justine (Burke’s) in the National at that time also was a Q tonner?
    Memories indeed!

• Advertisement

Joliba Bourke/Hooper partnership

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I’d guess that the Nich 345 was Joliba?
    I remember her.
    I remember a quarter tonner named Crazy Jane that sailed from the George in the 80’s and I think that Justine (Burke’s) in the National at that time also was a Q tonner?
    Are you thinking of Crazy Jane the modified hydro? Owned by crazy Murphy and made old recycled Dragon masts?

I’d guess that the Nich 345 was Joliba? I raced against her in DL

Certainly was Joliba, I sailed on her myself a good few times as I was good friends with the son of the owner at the time, who also happened to race with me on Wildfire quite a lot.

The son also spent about a year working with McWilliams.
    Around about the same time Joliba turned out with a set of Tape Drive sails (which i thought looked the absolute shiznit at the time when they first started popping up in Dublin Bay).

Steve wrote: »
    I remember her.

Are you thinking of Crazy Jane the modified hydro? Owned by crazy Murphy and made old recycled Dragon masts?

Mad Murphy..... who's still alive and kicking.. that boats been parked up in his front garden for donkeys years now. Hes got an old wooden 1 tonner now parked up in howth. Things a bloody tip down below full of tools.

Here she is: "Wildfire" aka "Will O The Wisp"

She was out of the water when we bought it, but she looked to have been floating idle for some time.

39160762164_8deaa2121d_c.jpg

We resprayed her down in Cork, and generally cleaned her up, new tiller, decks repainted etc..

24999899907_8221123918_c.jpg

And then the following season up in Dublin, she got her new stripe, and her name on her.

39160762054_c2ee3ef8e4_c.jpg

Loved her. Miss her.

:(

• Advertisement

what happened to her or where did she end up?

what happened to her or where did she end up?

I got her when I was 14, and by the time I was about 20/21, she'd be just lying on the morning for a lot of the time, not being sailed, as I'd started working (and other distractions for a young adult), and it was taking up much of my time, and I was sailing her less and less, and didn't have a whole lot of money to keep her going.

Eventually sold it on through a friend of my dad's, but I never found out where she went. That was about 15/16 years ago.

I do often still search online for her sail number, as well as looking around the odd photo galleries of 1/4 ton & other racing events, to see if she's still out there!!

We did (a very windy) Cork week in 1998, and had great craic. 1st race in the harbour, and hit something hard (most likely a rock) and had an almighty shudder, but somehow kept going!, I then went down below to find the battery cables shorting, and sparks flying everywhere!!
    Then on the downwind leg we had the spinnaker up (a huge one from a Bolero 26 which was probably too big for Wildfire), and the forestay bottle screw decided to undo itself, so I was up on the foredeck trying to screw it back together, while we were doing about 8/9 knots, with the bow right down in the water!!

shes not listed on the website histoire d'halfs which lists alot of the old tonners by boat names & designers. If you email them the details you have of her they,ll add her to the list and might be bale to track it down or find out what happened.

I'll have a look, looks like it could be of some help (though I could spend days browsing sites like that!!)
    Closest I could find was Caligula, and she was K8126, I remember her from Dun Laoghaire.

As you can see from the main, she was pretty much put together on a budget (couldn't afford a new fitted main, so Watson & Jameson had a new unsold, slightly smaller than I needed one lying around which we got on the cheap)

39161178554_a777747420_c.jpg

The best things on here were probably the new Autohelm log, and a good Harken winch handle!

39839098332_b13a2d116e_c.jpg

Friend of mine had this in Howth in the late 90s early 2000s. Was a class 3. Left her for years on a trailer out the back of the west pier and she disappeared a few years ago

AM0048.jpg

1/4 tonners were great fun to race in, small, fast and plenty of them around

1/4 tonners were great fun to race in, small, fast and plenty of them around

yeah that was back then before the aul fellas tried to relive their youth by opening their cheque books up and pimping the bejaysus out of most of them

Maybe of interest

History of Boat Building in Ringsend
    Friday, 26th January @ 20:00
    Venue / Location:
    Clontarf Yacht & Boat Club, Clontarf Road, Clontarf, Dublin. 3

Steve wrote: »
    I remember her.

No, the Crazy Jane to which I refer was owned by Ronnie Pyle - a hard chined thing (the boat, not him!). He was the only guy I ever met outside of shooting who wore a deerstalker hat.

shes not listed on the website histoire d'halfs which lists alot of the old tonners by boat names & designers. If you email them the details you have of her they,ll add her to the list and might be bale to track it down or find out what happened.
    Maybe. I sent them (histoire des halfs) a load of stuff a couple of years ago and it never made it online.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Hi folks. Waterways Ireland talks about a map of extended moorings locations here..

https://www.waterwaysireland.org/things-to-do/boating/57/extended-mooring-permits

Does anybody here have said map by any chance?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you open the link and then click "more info" then locations and where you want to look the maps are on the right hand under "site ID" side.https://www.waterwaysireland.org/Documents/Activities/Boating/EMP%20Maps/Barrow%20EMP%20Maps/EBN-CW-MON-E-1.pdf

Thanks a million I found the maps and phoned WI today. Disappointed to hear there are no moorings for annual use on the Shannon navigation, just the royal and grand canals. Was hoping to get the boat somewhere I could access by train and that was nice like dromod or Carrick.

Trains aside, any decent spots on the canals in terms of nice pubs and scenery?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

bilbot79 wrote: »

Trains aside, any decent spots on the canals in terms of nice pubs and scenery?

Fureys bar just outside Enfield is a nice spot and good food. Nanny Quinns Annaskinnan also worth a look.

20120907_143326.jpg

20120907_144840.jpg

20120907_144850.jpg

V nice! Will check it out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

+1 on Fureys, been there a few times over the years and the grub was always good.

ICRA having a Egm in March. Things seem to have become a shambles there

From what I've read it is a total mess. I cannot understand why Galway could be a venue when most boats are on the East Coast. Even hetting there from Cork would be a slog. When I was active in racing in DL it usually was debatable if we should do Cork week/an ISORA when we were in contention in the League and discards mattered.

• Advertisement

Yeah they seem to have rail roaded Galway through even though the consensus was against it. I think the Icra Commodore is a west coast sailor so looking after his own patch. They got a professional survey and market research company to survey after last year's and it wasn't released publicly coz the feedback was so negative. Hardly any if any northern boats ever come to Dublin when its on here and any western boats tend to be small and trailerd

Advertisement