Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Last race of the season in DB this sunday.

Don't know if I should be :) or :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Steve wrote: »
    Last race of the season in DB this sunday.

Don't know if I should be :) or :(.

Knowing the crew on that boat I would go with :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm looking forward to a few late lie ins :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to a few late lie ins :D

Me too. :D

If Leinster win on Saturday, I'll be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike on Sunday morning!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Me too. :D

If Leinster win on Saturday, I'll be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike on Sunday morning!

I'll be missing that game due to family commitments :(

And I've lost my voice, I can literally whisper, so I'll be as useful as a chocolate tea pot trying to shout Sunday :D

@ miss no stars were they the KB1 racing trousers you got from Gill? Tried on a mens pair at the weekend and they were a very nice fit and very long legs :) They don't have the velcro straps they have proper shoulders if that's any help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Sorry! Meant to upload those pics which I will do later (even for the reference of others later). I won't have access to them til Christmas morning... I'm fairly certain they're the OS2 trousers http://www.sailingclothingstore.co.uk/Gill-Womens-OS2-Trousers-OS22TW-E6DA480B0B.aspx

Stheno wrote: »
    @ miss no stars were they the KB1 racing trousers you got from Gill? Tried on a mens pair at the weekend and they were a very nice fit and very long legs :) They don't have the velcro straps they have proper shoulders if that's any help?
    I think this is the current version of them, mine are a few seasons old...
    http://www.gillmarine.com/ca/products/kb1-racer-trousers/2126#overview
    I like the leatherman pocket.

as promised, sorry for delay... I know I don't have boots on in the pictures but I do have heavy enough jeans on under, so should give you some idea

Standing normally:
    IMG00036_20131203_1939.jpg

How far on my toes I am before the ends come off the ground (one hem lifted up to show standing on toes :p):
    IMG00037_20131203_1940.jpg

Full crouch:
    IMG00035_20131203_1938.jpg

Love yore socks :D

Those look identical in length to the mens pair I tried on this week :)

Baggy standing flat but with plenty of movement, am going to go shopping soon avec boots :)

And yes, nice socks :D

Thank you both!

• Advertisement

Looks like I'll need the sailing gear for the rugby match!!

There'll be no race tomorrow if this weather holds.. :(

Windguru saying 24 knots gusting to 40 tomorrow, currently gusting 44 knots according to Dun Laoghaire weather station (oddly that gust speed has not changed over the last hour).

Enjoy the match.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Looks like I'll need the sailing gear for the rugby match!!

There'll be no race tomorrow if this weather holds.. :(

And santas expected in howth tomorrow. Hope he has a bit of change for the dart

And so the sailing season endeth today :(

I've seen some strange weather in Dublin bay but that took the biscuit.

Forecast was 20 gusting 40 and we were fully expecting to have no racing... I saw 28kts in the harbour but outside it dropped as low as 4 and was 10-12 for most of it...

Spring chickens will be on us before we know it! :D

Some fun viewing if your not the guy at 58 seconds

neris wrote: »
    Some fun viewing if your not the guy at 58 seconds
    Been in weather like that and lost the stick but thankfully never been 58s guy! :D

AYYYY hairy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Looks like Verazzano Narrows bridge at NY...?

• Advertisement

Just found this on youtube from the volvo. 1st 4 minutes should get your underwear moistened, 4.5 mins to about 7 should make most of us thankful theres other boats around when we race. The guy going over the side at about 5 mins is justin Slattery and about 7 is damian foxall 2 of our most accomplished modern ocean racers

25 to 35 seconds looks like zero gravity training pretty amazing stuff. Did you link to the correct video, 5 to 7 minutes is talking about repairing the carbon sandwich. Great video all the same.

Vexorg wrote: »
    25 to 35 seconds looks like zero gravity training pretty amazing stuff. Did you link to the correct video, 5 to 7 minutes is talking about repairing the carbon sandwich. Great video all the same.

Think so, it's a fairly infamous video of someone going overboard secured to the halyard to repair the boat. They had to slow down to nothing to get the job done, still scary stuff.

DOH! was looking for guys being washed overboard... Too much happy christmas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Wanted 10 guy's/girls to help me hold down my boat cover :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Fergal, did your cover survive?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I had a double cover on it one of the silver ones and then a cheep blue tarpaulin over it, the silver one is ok but the blue one is like a spiders web :eek: I also lost a few sheets of corrugated perspex from my lean to :( but at least the boats are ok I had visions of going out the next morning and seeing a slate sticking out of the deck.
    I hope all your boats are ok it was a good breeze :)

New years day not looking good for sailing with the forecasts for wind.

I had the most bizarre dream involving boats, trailers etc last night

Very high tides and water levels around the country I hope all your boats are safe and sound. The Liffey is very high at the moment even flooding the East Link bridge :eek:

Looks like Stoops got another wetting
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153875925140413

• Advertisement

Im out of the country but had a look at the hyc webcam earlier. Dont think in 20 years ive ever seen the breakwater in howth totally covered. Meant to be the highest tides in a hundred years. Hope my boat is ok its survived worse

Advertisement