Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

neris wrote: »
    Anyone know when the DMYC kish race is on?

September 22nd. Online entry up now....

https://www.dmyc.ie/2019/kish-race-2019-online-entry/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

no irc :( might give it a miss
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    September 22nd. Online entry up now....

https://www.dmyc.ie/2019/kish-race-2019-online-entry/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looks like a boat in Skerries succumbed to the high winds yesterday! Looks like a Westerly

th%20Oct%202019%20_12%202.jpg

I was down in Malahide myself yesterday (trying to prep for lift out today) and it was absolutely atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A few boats in Bray harbour got a hammering as well, I saw a video but now can't remember where it was posted.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Jaysus! :eek:

* checks webcam* https://slipcam.dmyc.ie/

Mine safe and sound in Coal Harbour in DL. :)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Jaysus! :eek:

* checks webcam* https://slipcam.dmyc.ie/

Mine safe and sound in Coal Harbour in DL. :)

You won't find a much safer mooring than the coal harbour in fairness!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Here is a nice little video by a friend of mine sailing on a J80 out of Howth sailing club.

https://vimeo.com/364044460?fbclid=IwAR3PN99uoGdvSuUL6Q-NGCxeWb_S_wK5-CufbggNghsrF8RfPwWEk3UvSWk

The little cruiser at 4 minutes was sailed across the Atlantic after being bought in America. The guy who owns it co built the first Corby in Ireland & a Falmouth quay punt
    fergal.b wrote: »
    Here is a nice little video by a friend of mine sailing on a J80 out of Howth sailing club.

https://vimeo.com/364044460?fbclid=IwAR3Z14GTpimm4gavbS8Tg7RUHZu4FFsAGsD4sOt6lUR2IfmMEmBUaMSroE8

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The little cruiser at 4 minutes was sailed across the Atlantic after being bought in America. The guy who owns it co built the first Corby in Ireland & a Falmouth quay punt

I think you are confusing the cruisers there, the guy who built the Corby 28 bought his in England, the other one came from the USA. Both are impressive craft though.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Van Doozy

Anyone any tips for an inshore racing noob!? :pac:

Would be appreciated.

Van Doozy wrote: »
    Anyone any tips for an inshore racing noob!? :pac:

you'll probably be banging off everything and anything on board, so the following day you'll probably be bruised all over.

Fastnet Race finish line moved to Cherbourg for the next two races at least.

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/fastnet-race/item/44734-fastnet-race-to-finish-in-cherbourg-announce-rorc

I suppose it was inevitable - it's been a good while since I did it, and Plymouth was jammers even then - but comments on FB are (mostly) not positive.

I suppose it's the old problem of juggling tradition with the huge growth in popularity of the race.

Interesting, anyway!

the Fastnet is "a British Tradition and British Race" and that it should really finish in Great Britain. 

God save the queen, dunkirk spirit, we won the war, protect the empire, brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

anyone know where to get Irish charts for OpenCPN?

Just ordered some anti-fouling from the U.K. there. Anyone have any experience from importing from the U.K.? Any issues getting it shipped?

Went for International Micron 350 (plan will be to stay afloat next winter, so want the benefit of the 2 year stuff). I picked up 2x 2.5L tins for £90 each (cheapest in Ireland seems to be in around the €140 mark per 2.5L tin), also picked up 2.5L of primer (£52.20) (Primocon).

With delivery at £20 it seems a decent price all in at £252 for 5L of premium anti-foul and 2.5L of Primer.

Seems January sales aren't just confined to clothes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Just ordered some anti-fouling from the U.K. there. Anyone have any experience from importing from the U.K.? Any issues getting it shipped?

Went for International Micron 350 (plan will be to stay afloat next winter, so want the benefit of the 2 year stuff).

Interesting! I always believed that "paint" was a hazardous substance and therefore couldn't be couriered into Ireland. Let's know how you get on...

Also, keep boat moored in Howth. Used the 2 year stuff once - found it useless, lasted one season.

BowWow wrote: »
    Also, keep boat moored in Howth. Used the 2 year stuff once - found it useless, lasted one season.

I’d be hoping to get at least 3 full coats on, with anything left going on as a 4th coat around the waterline, so will see how it goes. I’m
    In Malahide.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

BowWow wrote: »
    Interesting! I always believed that "paint" was a hazardous substance and therefore couldn't be couriered into Ireland. Let's know how you get on...

It can be couriered, just not air freight afaik. same with ordering solder flux and other haz materials, it comes by truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Went for International Micron 350 (plan will be to stay afloat next winter, so want the benefit of the 2 year stuff). I picked up 2x 2.5L tins for £90 each (cheapest in Ireland seems to be in around the €140 mark per 2.5L tin), also picked up 2.5L of primer (£52.20) (Primocon).

With delivery at £20 it seems a decent price all in at £252 for 5L of premium anti-foul and 2.5L of Primer...

In the past I always used International. I missed one season and found that the anti-f seemed to completely dry out and it 'caked', falling off in sheets when the new stuff was applied by roller. The following season I scraped it all off and used Hempel from Marineparts. Great stuff, has worked really well for me, moored in a river estuary April - Sept..
    This is from my 2018 order, Hempel Classic Antifouling Red/Brown 5L CODE: Q090220 €74.99
    I'll be staying with it.

My plan is to lightly sand the hull down to remove any old anti-foul (boat was epoxied about 6 years ago), then fill/fair any lumps/bulbs, and apply a coat of primer before putting as many coats of anti-foul on as I can get out of the 5L.

Well they've cancelled the anti-fouling order... FedEx won't take it as it's classed as hazardous! I've asked if they have other couriers that could land ship it, but don't hold out much hope!!

Thinking now of just going with the Hempel Cruising Performer at €65 per 2.5L

I see though they recommend a coat of their light primer before applying a coat of their underwater primer (while the light primer is still tacky). Is Primer really that necessary? I'd most likely lift out for 3 months again early next year to redo it if using the Hempel.

As with all painting, good preparation is vital. When I bought my twin-keel she was in poor shape, never properly maintained and there were metre long lengths of kelp growing from her. Scraped and power hosed, I was unsure of the base layer so I used Primocon first, then international Cruiser (the blue one). That is the one that flaked off taking the Primocon with it, back to the bare hull in several places after a few years . The basic problem was that the hull had never been properly ‘keyed’, so the substrate had no real grip, which is why the dry coats wrapped around the roller when softened by the new layer.
    I’d ensure that your hull / substrate is properly keyed with coarse wet/dry, then apply undercoat and a couple of coats of a/f. Safe the rest for later.

I had planned to lightly sand the hull with an orbital sander I picked up in Lidl, using fine discs (200/320+ grit), then fill and fair a few bits on the keel where some of the (looks like gel coat) has come away (will use Plastic Padding Epoxy filler). Then a coat of Primer and 2/3 coats of anti-fouling (depending on which type I go for).
    Should I be looking at a keel specific primer first? or for this would I need to bring the keel back to its metal? (Not a job I'd fancy doing).

Next job on the list then will be an engine service, something I've not done before (it was supposedly serviced just before I collected it in August 2018), I'm guessing its an oil/oil filter change, fuel filter change, and replace the impeller? Anything else I should be doing?

My worry is the impeller cover, and one of the screws looks to have been broken off, although this was noticed in the original photo's of the boat so if it was changed in Aug 18, it was done so with only these 3 screws holding it on.
    I guess I won't really know what it is until I whip the cover off.
    I'm also thinking the engine service should wait til she's launched again so I can warm the oil before removing it.

Thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I had planned to lightly sand the hull with an orbital sander I picked up in Lidl, using fine discs (200/320+ grit), then fill and fair a few bits on the keel where some of the (looks like gel coat) has come away (will use Plastic Padding Epoxy filler). Then a coat of Primer and 2/3 coats of anti-fouling (depending on which type I go for).
    Should I be looking at a keel specific primer first? or for this would I need to bring the keel back to its metal? (Not a job I'd fancy doing).

Next job on the list then will be an engine service, something I've not done before (it was supposedly serviced just before I collected it in August 2018), I'm guessing its an oil/oil filter change, fuel filter change, and replace the impeller? Anything else I should be doing?

My worry is the impeller cover, and one of the screws looks to have been broken off, although this was noticed in the original photo's of the boat so if it was changed in Aug 18, it was done so with only these 3 screws holding it on.
    I guess I won't really know what it is until I whip the cover off.
    I'm also thinking the engine service should wait til she's launched again so I can warm the oil before removing it.

Thoughts anyone?
    Regarding your antifoul, I've read in numerous places, that if it's the blue, self degrading (soft) variety, sanding it down should be done wet, as the dust it creates is very noxious and shouldn't be inhaled. Maybe a good pressure wash would do the job?

My keels are positively agricultural compared to that one, they’re plain cast iron, 30+ years old.. I use the pointy end of a joiner’s hammer to bang/lift any rust bubbles and then use regular primer. Feargal can advise on the coating, I’d worry about sealing in water. Don’t bring the metal back too far using for e.g. a wire brush, it will become shiney and the paint will not adhere.

A power washer won’t do anything, you’ll have to use sandpaper. Sogood is right about the nasties in antifouling, some are worse than others. The problem with many orbital sanders is that they have holes in the discs for vacuuming the dust that only half work, so even if you attach a domestic cleaner it will not be sufficient but will suck in some water, not a good idea for an electric motor. On my last boat I used dry paper and a Lidl orbital sander (had to prep the entire hull) but bought a full face mask/respirator. Buy a cheapo version at €25 from China if you can wait for shipping time. Bangood or Wish.

Looking for something else I stumbled across this advert - Huff of Arklow. I only remember her in DL. Often wondered what had happened to her.:)

• Advertisement

Nixon was having a wankfest over her about 2 years ago on the afloat site
    Looking for something else I stumbled across this advert - Huff of Arklow. I only remember her in DL. Often wondered what had happened to her.:)

Advertisement