Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Interesting post on facebook about modern racing and courses by yacht designer Julian Everitt. Personally I,d add that at certain levels in keelboats "pro's" & cheque books are killing racing aswell.
    PERFECTION IS KILLING SAILBOAT RACING!

So says internationally acclaimed racing sailor and sailmaker, Ken Read in the latest copy of Seahorse Magazine. And I agree with him completely. For too long we have sat around waiting to race - not so much waiting for the wind gods, but waiting for race committees to lay ‘perfect’ start lines to perfectly placed windward marks.

Ken makes compelling points, in his excellent article that today’s sailors are far more sensitive about their own time management these days and therefore they would get more enjoyment out of racing if they spent more on water time actually racing rather than getting too the ‘perfect’ venue and awaiting perfect conditions.

The modern obsession with ‘perfect’ race course was, in my opinion, the beginning of the end of events like the Admiral’s Cup so the beginning of this problem highlighted by Ken Read can probably find its origins way back in the mid eighties. Many people put the demise of these style of ocean racing events down to lack of available time, But it is interesting to reflect that maybe too much time was being wasted.

I really like Ken’s ideas that the postponement flag should by retired and that start time delays through lack of wind could be, with modern forecasting, decided the night before. Why stop a race just because the start line is no longer square to the course. Don’t stop a race once it has started. Just shorten it, to one leg if necessary. People want results for their efforts and if its a bit of a lottery sometimes - so what! It’s the same for everybody.

I particularly like Ken’s idea of making the last race of the day, or if it’s the only race of the day finish just outside the harbour rather than miles away at a committee boat.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156777994123045&set=a.10155497574578045&type=3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Agree with that, it can be so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Years ago in Poolbeg, some of the big races (Kish race, Burford race etc...) used to finish in front of the club house, and it used to be epic, either beating up the river, or running up with kites up.

Obviously you couldn’t do that nowadays with there being so much shipping traffic, but it was always a great spectacle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I remember a race sailing into the river as a kid with my dad and breaking the spinny pole on the green lighthouse legs! Wasn't today or yesterday... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

The delays are a nightmare, completely agree with everything in that quote.

The offshore race at the VDLR this Summer had its finish line in the harbour, and the run to the harbour mouth, gybe, and tight reach to the line was epic. The whole time wondering if we’d hold the kite to the line, and then the scramble to douse the kite in time after crossing the line just added to the excitement. So much better than finishing miles off shore and facing a long trek in.

• Advertisement

Conchir wrote: »
    The offshore race at the VDLR this Summer had its finish line in the harbour, and the run to the harbour mouth, gybe, and tight reach to the line was epic. The whole time wondering if we’d hold the kite to the line, and then the scramble to douse the kite in time after crossing the line just added to the excitement. So much better than finishing miles off shore and facing a long trek in.
    I remember that - it didn't help that there were a load of oppies racing in the harbour as well.. :D

I remember a few years back in VDLR we started a race over off the Bailey then round the cans in Howth where they finished racing and everyone then had to motor back across the bay to DL. Nightmare.
    Conchir wrote: »
    The delays are a nightmare, completely agree with everything in that quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

neris wrote: »
    I remember a few years back in VDLR we started a race over off the Bailey then round the cans in Howth where they finished racing and everyone then had to motor back across the bay to DL. Nightmare.

It was worse before the 'new' HYC clubhouse was built, few from DL bothered to go ashore for post race drinks as there never was room at the bar. People often forget how long it is from Howth to the Baily, particularly with an adverse tide.

Also, having to tow a string of Dragons back from North mark after the wind died wasn't much fun ('cos all the hot water was used up by the time you got ashore!).

I never had any interest in Olympic sailing but thats the stupidist thing amongst a list of other stupid things thats happened in sailing over the last while
    Steve wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Well, as the Olympic rules are getting wound up about tech gear (swimsuits, runners, etc) perhaps the rules of the original Games should be followed - all participants compete naked. The humping and pumping might stop then, but if it doesn't, the 470 races would be a spectator sport!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Might be of interest to some, you don't often get something for nothing :)

Skerries sailing club

Wednesday Evening Talk - February 5th at 8.30pm.
    Basic Boat Engine Maintenance – “Light”
    Everything you ever wanted to know about the basics of maintaining a sea boat engine. John Kenny will give a practical run through of the key points and the basic do’s and don’ts of popular engines and their upkeep both during the season and in preparation for the off season (winterising).
    This is a free open event - non-members welcome. Club opens at 8.00pm

17904414_792301207591129_7054628826993333193_n_zpspe51wwan.jpg

A man whos probably remembered by one or two on here. Had some great boats in his time

https://hyc.ie/roy-dickson-r-i-p

Bellaw-d4-pfm36.jpg

R.I.P Roy. So sad to hear of this.

Never sailed with him but know lots of the old crew.

Best wishes and fair winds........

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Steve wrote: »

I'm fascinated by the rush to get down below - absolutely the last place I'd be heading!

I cannot imagine what that must have looked like in real time, I've sailed close up to J's and they're magnificent beasts.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by the rush to get down below - absolutely the last place I'd be heading!

Well, they (person taking the footage) *were* on a different boat in no danger.. :)

Apart from that, yeah, agree.

Maybe they were ‘non players’ just along for the ride, or as weight for the rail, and when it looked like the boat that crashed might be a danger to the camera boat, and evasive action was required, they could have been ordered below ‘out of the way’ while the sailing crew got their sh1t together...

Listening to the audio in that context, there were indeed shouts of 'get down, get down', 'get down below'.

You're probably spot on there Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Wow, what a mess. I hope that crewman is ok after ragdolling into the drink from a height.
    The starboard tack boat might have avoided the collision if they'd born away. But these behemoths don't do anything quickly but with the huge overhanging stern even a little correction would have at least reduced the angle and closing speed. The tack wasn't brilliantly timed to give the other boat safe water.
    Imagine the insurance bill!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Even sailing does not escape Covid-19. Just got this email....

Covid 19 and Sailing

Irish Sailing continue to monitor and follow the HSE advice on Covid-19 on a daily basis. As always, the health and safety of our members and the sailing community is of paramount importance. The Government has now asked bars and pubs to close from this evening until 29th March and we would advise that bars in clubs should conform with immediate effect.

Since the guidelines issued by An Taoiseach last Thursday, we have been in discussions with a number of stakeholders from both competitive and training backgrounds, and have concluded that social distancing is not only difficult to achieve on shore from an organisers’ perspective, but also difficult to achieve at a personal level on the water. For double handers and/or keelboats requiring two or more crew, it is not possible. Even for organised activities involving single handers requiring safety cover (with two people in the safety boat), it is not achievable.

For this reason, Irish Sailing advises that all organised sailing activity should cease with immediate effect and will be reviewed on 29th March. We will continue to monitor Government announcements and update the advice accordingly.

You can read the HSE guidelines here: https://www2.hse.ie/coronavirus/

Harry Hermon
    Chief Executive

Good few events already cancelled or postponed. Could have serious impact though on big events if it lasts into early summer

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Even sailing does not escape Covid-19. Just got this email....

Covid 19 and Sailing

Irish Sailing continue to monitor and follow the HSE advice on Covid-19 on a daily basis. As always, the health and safety of our members and the sailing community is of paramount importance. The Government has now asked bars and pubs to close from this evening until 29th March and we would advise that bars in clubs should conform with immediate effect.

Since the guidelines issued by An Taoiseach last Thursday, we have been in discussions with a number of stakeholders from both competitive and training backgrounds, and have concluded that social distancing is not only difficult to achieve on shore from an organisers’ perspective, but also difficult to achieve at a personal level on the water. For double handers and/or keelboats requiring two or more crew, it is not possible. Even for organised activities involving single handers requiring safety cover (with two people in the safety boat), it is not achievable.

For this reason, Irish Sailing advises that all organised sailing activity should cease with immediate effect and will be reviewed on 29th March. We will continue to monitor Government announcements and update the advice accordingly.

You can read the HSE guidelines here: https://www2.hse.ie/coronavirus/

Harry Hermon
    Chief Executive
    Yeah, most events now cancelled or postponed.
    Email yesterday to day HYC closed till further notice.

Scottish series is off. This year could become a total washout for any racing

neris wrote: »
    Scottish series is off. This year could become a total washout for any racing

I can see the Round Ireland getting canned next...

I can see the Round Ireland getting canned next...

That's my biggest worry about sailing this year it's the only big event that I was going to do

They might be getting lifted in but they won't be going anywhere.

• Advertisement

and lifting boats in might be a 3-4 man operation, with plenty of space between those involved. and the RI can't have that many boats on their hard can they?

Advertisement