Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

and lifting boats in might be a 3-4 man operation, with plenty of space between those involved. and the RI can't have that many boats on their hard can they?

Yeah, normally 3-4. Crane driver, one other employee and 2 crew from the boat normally. It could be done and still observe social distancing, it's a risk tho.

They have about 40 boats on the hard for the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The National is saying lift-in is going ahead on 11th April as well.

I honestly can't see why they're insisting on going ahead with it, and I wonder will they be let when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,699 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Malahide Marina sent an email today encouraging folks to get their boats prepped and launched asap... and that they are removing all water hoses from the marina.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DMYC lift in is also April 11th (and 12th).

If there is a 'lockdown', at that stage, there will be no lifting boats anywhere!

Isolating yourself on a boat may not end well. :eek:
    A Norwegian family which sailed from St. Maarten to Curaçao last Sunday and arrived there last night, is refused by the Curaçao authorities due to COVID-19 lockdown. The Coast Guard threatens to tow the ship to the open sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Steve wrote: »

Saw on a Facebook group someone from the north wanting to go to IOM and the harbour master telling them if they showed up thru wouldn't be allowed off the boat even to use the toilets

DBSC racing postponed.
    DBSC Coronavirus (First Update)
    24TH MARCH 2020 JONATHAN NICHOLSON CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19), LATEST NEWS
    Echoing the comments of our national government it is essential that we all take collective responsibility, maintain physical distancing and observe evolving guidance as it is issued.

Our national governing body Irish Sailing advises that all organised sailing activity should cease with immediate effect. Dublin Bay Sailing will completely and absolutely comply with this instruction and will only commence the 2020 sailing season when our Government, Irish Sailing and the committee approve it. The health and safety of the volunteers who enable us to go racing and the membership is the club’s primary concern.

A new page has been created on the website where additional information will be posted as it comes to light. It can be found here.

Irish Sailing updates can be found here.

A reminder that you can read the HSE guidelines here.

Finally, your committee continues to scenario plan and be assured that we will keep you informed throughout these extraordinary times.

Please stay safe.

https://www.dbsc.ie/2020/03/24/dbsc-coronavirus-first-update/

Also on ISA site:
    https://www.sailing.ie/Coronavirus

Well colour me shocked.

When are the clubs going to cancel the lift-ins? :mad:

Any guesses on what big event will be next to be cancelled??

Round Ireland
    Cork week
    Cowes week
    Round the island race
    The full. Isora series

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well colour me shocked.

When are the clubs going to cancel the lift-ins? :mad:

Might know something on that later, one of our crew was in RI doing a bit of bottom painting and the boatmen were saying it's still on for the 1st but there maybe a meeting later to change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Iniscealtra SC in Mountshannon has postponed their lift in. 40 boats normally lifted in by crane driver and alternating teams of 7.
    There would be too much interaction.

Might know something on that later, one of our crew was in RI doing a bit of bottom painting and the boatmen were saying it's still on for the 1st but there maybe a meeting later to change that.
    I can't believe that it looks like they're going to have to be told.

And the sailors/owners are worse.

Very disappointed in the lot of them :mad: (to put it mildly, disgusted actually)

yeah, my 'plan' was beginning of April to launch, but might just push back to May

I also still need to prep the boat by sanding the hull and antifouling it, that was planned for this weekend and perhaps next weekend, but it might also just wait a few weeks to get done. Although it would be fairly easy to stay isolated in the yard in Malahide, going down and spending a day there is not the socially responsible thing to do, as in reality it's unnecessary (setting examples and all that).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DMYC says....'lift in, scheduled for 11th and 12th April is under review'.

Knowing how tightly the boats are stored, I just can't see how the lift-ins can happen with adequate 'physical distancing'?

I also think the optics of yacht clubs carrying out lift-ins is another matter for consideration!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I also think the optics of yacht clubs carrying out lift-ins is another matter for consideration!

This more than anything would not go down so well.

The majority would see sailing or ‘yachting’ as they’d call it as being for the well heeled, and to see a flurry of action around all the clubs would not go down too well in the court of social media!

Thanks for the pic FBYC!!

I Just invented a new tongue twister!!

I'm not a rudder hugger, I'm a rudder hugger's son, I'm only hugging rudders till the rudder hugger comes.

mOcZNGe.jpg

.....and Cork Week is Cancelled

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lift in's. Possible for the clubs like the Irish to maintain safe distances with staff only, but what about the launch? Climbing in and out, multiple people etc. That's not safe for staff and I can't see a solution for boats on moorings?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

.....and Cork Week is Cancelled

Thats a shame I was looking forward to seeing "Scolopendra"

DSCN6019_zps91x3dqfb.jpg

Chiswick_zpscd21f0be.jpg

From DMYC....

The DMYC's lift is postponed indefinitely. The other (Dun Laoghaire) waterfront clubs have also come to that decision.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    From DMYC....

The DMYC's lift is postponed indefinitely. The other (Dun Laoghaire) waterfront clubs have also come to that decision.
    About bloody time

https://www.corkweek.ie/cork300-events-impacted-by-coronavirus-pandemic/?fbclid=IwAR1rVoGGzVHLlZQYig5MFkPxe700Z9_Ux8GRPkgSu4TAoAw7euRPN9MYA-I

From Cork week website.
    June
    AIB 29er Irish National Championships – Cancelled

July
    Volvo Cork Week 2020 (in partnership with Johnson & Perrott) – Cancelled
    The Beaufort Cup 2020 – Cancelled

Dates for diary – Cork Week 2022 11th– 15th July 2022, we really hope to see you all there.

July continued
    Classic Boat Festival – Cancelled
    Wild Atlantic Way Cruise in Company – Cancelled
    International Powerboat Festival – Cancelled
    Royal Cork Yacht Club Fleet Review – Postponed

These cancellations have an additional impact on the following events which were due to take place as part of or in addition to Volvo Cork Week;

The ICRA Nationals 2020
    The 1720 Europeans 2020
    The IRC Europeans 2020
    SB20 Southerns 2020
    The Morgan Cup
    The Kingstown to Queenstown

I think 2020 is going to be a wash out for all sports and the sooner large sporting organisations and events realise this the better and they can move on to next year's/seasons events. Fair play to cork for cancelling. It can't have been easy to call it this far out from the event and the significance of the year but health & life first.

Howth club racing off till the start of June at least. Might start earlier if things clear up

Well, this weekend would have been a lovely weekend for a first sail of the year....
    Would have even been a great weekend to sand the hull and anti-foul...

Realistically now it's looking like launching in late May/early June.... If we're lucky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Yes, it's going to be a short season, if at all :(

Id say early june for launching and then a week or 2 more before theres any racing. I left my boat in the water over the winter and had planned to lift it out after st patricks week and take her indoors to do a little work. at this stage i think i,ll just lift and wash when the club reopens and go sailing.

neris wrote: »
    Id say early june for launching and then a week or 2 more before theres any racing. I left my boat in the water over the winter and had planned to lift it out after st patricks week and take her indoors to do a little work. at this stage i think i,ll just lift and wash when the club reopens and go sailing.
    May need more than a wash at this stage, especially with a few warm weeks...

antifoul.jpg

• Advertisement

Disappointing but not surprising.

Advertisement