Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’m not sure how well this is going to end....

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/dutch-backpackers-buy-a-boat-to-escape-from-coronavirus-in-australia
    Dutchman Jordy van der Voort and compatriot Daniel Wiessing are preparing to sail from Australia to the Netherlands, a 13,000 nautical miles journey, but first, they are ironing out a few issues one of which is that neither man has much sailing experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

They have eight life vests on boards, a fully equipped dinghy, a satellite phone and possibly more crew members. They are also equipped with a social media account

Ah, ok, that'll keep them safe. :rolleyes:

If I could get down to the boat, I’d nearly get all the Jerry cans and fill them up while diesel is so cheap!!

€1.139 in the garage I’d usually use at Blake’s Cross!! That’s not a million miles off last years green diesel prices!!

I’d anticipate within a few weeks of things getting back to some sort of normal, prices will start creeping back up again while production is still so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was going to put this in the funny pics thread but stupid ain't funny

Screenshot-20200421-120932-Samsung-Internet.jpg

20200421-121041.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If I could get down to the boat, I’d nearly get all the Jerry cans and fill them up while diesel is so cheap!!

€1.139 in the garage I’d usually use at Blake’s Cross!! That’s not a million miles off last years green diesel prices!!

I’d anticipate within a few weeks of things getting back to some sort of normal, prices will start creeping back up again while production is still so low.

Surely you can call up a company to fill her. Be grand and chape

• Advertisement

Surely you can call up a company to fill her. Be grand and chape

Well there’s currently no access to the boat, and the boats tank is small enough (27L), so I’d be mainly filling up Jerry Cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Well there’s currently no access to the boat, and the boats tank is small enough (27L), so I’d be mainly filling up Jerry Cans.

That's a bummer.

How is everyone getting on with the Corona, getting any work done on the boat or any use out of it? Am lucky that I'm able to get to my own but so many fecking things have gone wrong with it in the past month. Tubes,steering cable, regulator all gave trouble since the lockdown started. Thankfully am still able to get spares no bother even though I can't just walk into the shop for um anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

That's a bummer.

How is everyone getting on with the Corona, getting any work done on the boat or any use out of it? Am lucky that I'm able to get to my own but so many fecking things have gone wrong with it in the past month. Tubes,steering cable, regulator all gave trouble since the lockdown started. Thankfully am still able to get spares no bother even though I can't just walk into the shop for um anymore
    I can't see how being on your boat either to do work on it or to use it is permitted under the current restrictions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have the washboards lock in the shed, was being re-varnished and the *** who removed the lock did so with a hammer and caused it to explode... so I was given the bits - minus a few parts - to fix...

glad of something to do ! :D

Looks like no racing till July at the earliest and no social side after

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    Looks like no racing till July at the earliest and no social side after

I think that's optimistic given the close contact crew have on a boat tbh

I'd be putting it to August

I just hope I can get back on the water with those from my household to enjoy a bit of cruising soon..

But of course when that’s allowed, this glorious weather we’ve been having will turn back to normal Irish weather, and be crap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I just can't believe we sold our boat last year :(:(

Talk about bad timing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I just hope I can get back on the water with those from my household to enjoy a bit of cruising soon..

But of course when that’s allowed, this glorious weather we’ve been having will turn back to normal Irish weather, and be crap!!
    +1 it doesn't look like there will be any foreign holidays so cruising will be a good should, particularly as everything else is going to be booked up very quickly to the extent that they're allowed operate, campsites etc

Alkers wrote: »
    +1 it doesn't look like there will be any foreign holidays so cruising will be a good should, particularly as everything else is going to be booked up very quickly to the extent that they're allowed operate, campsites etc

Although talking about it with the OH yesterday, even if we do get back on the water soon and Get to go places, it looks like restaurants and especially bars will be out of the question!! So it’ll be cooking on board and a bottle of wine!!

Still though, that’s be a lot nicer than doing it at home!!

Still though, that’s be a lot nicer than doing it at home!!

My experiences of cooking while going up the west coast in a full gale on a round Ireland would differ.. :D

Pro-tip, put a baby bottle teat on the bottle of wine!! :D:D

Steve wrote: »
    My experiences of cooking while going up the west coast in a full gale on a round Ireland would differ.. :D

Pro-tip, put a baby bottle teat on the bottle of wine!! :D:D

Sailing my own boat back across the Bristol Channel in a swell 2 years ago, and my steak ended up on the floor, and of course in a flat bottomed Beneteau, there’s little to no bilge space, so my steak was seasoned in bilge water as we were fairly well heeled!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anybody hearing anything from the clubs as to when boats might get on the water (i.e. lift-ins)?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Anybody hearing anything from the clubs as to when boats might get on the water (i.e. lift-ins)?

I’m waiting on an update email from Malahide Marina. They’re usually on the ball with getting updates sent out, so hopefully there’ll be news this week!!

I just need access first to the yard to sand and anti foul the hull!!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Daibheid

I’ve seen at least one boat leisure sailing on two occasions in recent weeks and someone else apparently sailing port to port. Both were out in very fresh conditions.
    Video appearing on line suggests some surfers are also exempting themselves from any restrictions.
    I’ve been staring wistfully at super conditions several times in the last month or two but I won’t even put a kayak in the water and run the slightest risk of a call out.
    Anyone else seeing this sort of thing getting us a bad name as water users and more importantly potentially putting the emergency service people’s health at unnecessary risk?

• Advertisement

Daibheid wrote: »
    I’ve seen at least one boat leisure sailing on two occasions in recent weeks and someone else apparently sailing port to port. Both were out in very fresh conditions.
    Video appearing on line suggests some surfers are also exempting themselves from any restrictions.
    I’ve been staring wistfully at super conditions several times in the last month or two but I won’t even put a kayak in the water and run the slightest risk of a call out.
    Anyone else seeing this sort of thing getting us a bad name as water users and more importantly potentially putting the emergency service people’s health at unnecessary risk?

Out for a walk yesterday morning at Baldoyle Estuary and 3 kite surfers out of the Burrow beach in Sutton in blowy conditions. Saw surfers of the news the other night with basking sharks

I regularly see kite surfers out on Rush South Beach.
    I’ve regularly seen kayakers out off Rush North Beach, coming down from either Skerries or Loughshinny.
    I was sent a video of a guy down in Poolbeg drying his spinnaker (upside down for maximum visibility)(despite the marina being closed).

Then those surfers in Clare, out in a group seeing Basking sharks, which is lovely, but a complete flout of the restrictions!! And what rubs salt in the would is Simon Coveney (a sailor) retweeting the story instead of criticising them for being out in the first place!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Then those surfers in Clare, out in a group seeing Basking sharks, which is lovely, but a complete flout of the restrictions!! And what rubs salt in the would is Simon Coveney (a sailor) retweeting the story instead of criticising them for being out in the first place!!

I found that particularly annoying when it appeared/was featured on RTE News. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I found that particularly annoying when it appeared/was featured on RTE News. :(

I surf and live on the east coast I can walk to Killiney Beach where there has been surf due to the easterly winds, I'd love to be out but the RNLI and Coast Guard have asked people not to be on the water.

The guys in that video are extremely experienced but from the looks of it were surfing a well know heavy slab wave where several people have been injured including one smashing his femur and having to be airlifted to hospital. Two Km or not, they shouldn't have been out.:mad:

Just driving up to Skerries there to go grocery shopping and saw a boat out sailing, enjoying the fine weather...

It's well for some!

Malahide Marina also confirmed they are opening from May 18th

UK coastguard incidents up 54% in 24 hours.

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/coronavirus-and-boating/item/46261-uk-coastguard-s-plea-as-incident-numbers-go-up-by-50-in-24-hour-period

On the way out to Malahide this morning saw a guy kitesurfing off the beach close to the channel and 2 Gardai parked up watching him while a few hundred meters away where the 2 lads couldn't see was another lad getting ready to hit the water.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    UK coastguard incidents up 54% in 24 hours.

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/coronavirus-and-boating/item/46261-uk-coastguard-s-plea-as-incident-numbers-go-up-by-50-in-24-hour-period

On the way out to Malahide this morning saw a guy kitesurfing off the beach close to the channel and 2 Gardai parked up watching him while a few hundred meters away where the 2 lads couldn't see was another lad getting ready to hit the water.

Was that on the Estuary?

Advertisement