Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stheno wrote: »
    Was that on the Estuary?

No near Robswall

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

neris wrote: »
    No near Robswall

I went for a walk on the Estuary and there were a couple of surfers out there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was on the North Beach yesterday in Rush, and saw a speedboat out of Rush harbour, a yacht sailing from North to South, and at least 5 kayakers.

Today the kite surfers are out in force......

Was on the pier in Howth on Thursday and was 1 yacht on a morring in the harbour, went out yesterday and it was gone. Wonder was that it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Two people got stranded on the rocks off Balbriggan at 1:00 am on Saturday and had to be picked up by the RNLI https://www.facebook.com/watch/skerriesrnli/ mind boggles :(

• Advertisement

I think I'm going to start going down to Malahide from Monday 18th onwards to start prepping the boat for a launch.
    I need to wet n dry the hull, fill & fair a few lumps on the keel, and then anti-foul (I haven't done anything like this in over 20 years).
    I've also some work to do inside, like flush out/clean the water system and replace the flexible water tank, as well as a general clean up.
    Thankfully I got all the stuff I need before lockdown came into force.

It's more than 5km distance from my home, but as far as I'm aware, the 5km limit is for exercise only, and I'd deem the maintenance and upkeep of my vessel as 'essential'!, Life has to start getting back to some sort of normal somehow, and as we reach further phases in the easing of restrictions, I can't think of better family recreation that being out on the boat, as socially distant as you could be (of course assuming the RNLI & Coast Guard calls to not use the water for recreation are lifted).
    In the yard, I'll be completely isolated, using the side gate for contactless entry/exit, and will launch when the marina can fit me in.

Am I being bad & irresponsible in doing or attempting to do the above?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Am I being bad & irresponsible in doing or attempting to do the above?

Most people I know are are doing the same. I don't think it's socially irresponsible as long as you do it alone etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Same position, same train of thought...

Looks like the RYA might be giving the go-ahead!

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/Pages/return-to-boating-update.aspx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Steve wrote: »
    Most people I know are are doing the same. I don't think it's socially irresponsible as long as you do it alone etc..

Yeah I'd be of the same train of thought tbh

I'm finding the 5k restriction irritating

My boats in the water 5km from home but all my sails are 40km away by road. Might have to sneak a trip up to get them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/12/long-journey-home-the-stranded-sailboats-in-a-race-to-beat-the-hurricanes?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_News_Feed

Not the time to be sailing the world!

Or having a lovely time dandering around the Caribbean in advance of hurricane season... :eek:

There's a few things you can do with one arm but I wouldn't say single handed (litteraly) trans Atlantic sailing is one of them

There's a few things you can do with one arm but I wouldn't say single handed (litteraly) trans Atlantic sailing is one of them

I just read that! Would he not be better off trying to join another boat as crew?

I just read that! Would he not be better off trying to join another boat as crew?
    And do what with his own boat, which presumably is his home?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And do what with his own boat, which presumably is his home?

Ah didn't think the boat was his home, may have misread, but which would be worse? Losing his boat, or losing his life halfway across the Atlantic if the worst came to the worst?

Ah didn't think the boat was his home, may have misread, but which would be worse? Losing his boat, or losing his life halfway across the Atlantic if the worst came to the worst?
    Reading between the lines, he's been solo sailing for years, just not that kind of distance.

I know a couple I met doing the ARC a few years ago who are holed up on a Caribbean island (but I think they're on land as they have a pal living there), furiously debating whether to just try to outrun whatever hurricanes hit during the season, or try to sail home to the UK (bearing in mind that the "handy" route across W-E is across the north of the Atlantic). The boat is their home, sounds like they won't be able to get it to a safe place for the hurricane season. Really, really don't envy them.

It must be incredibly hard to even get supplies/water/fuel when you're stuck at sea for weeks longer than you'd expected - I'm sure some places are better set up than others, but it's a bit of a lottery where you'd have ended up.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Reading between the lines, he's been solo sailing for years, just not that kind of distance.

He mentions the longest he's sailed single handed is 5 days!

The problem is though, he only lost his arm in 2017, so he'll have pretty much had to learn to sail again from scratch with the 1 arm.
    This is only his 3rd season with the disability.

Daunting to say the least.

My boats in the water 5km from home but all my sails are 40km away by road. Might have to sneak a trip up to get them

Neris,

As I'm interpreting the phased reduction in restrictions, I think you are ok to go and collect your sails from Phase 1 onwards (May 18th), as long as you can maintain social distance in doing so, as you need the sails to practice your sport..

In Section1: Community Health Measures at Phase 1, under the Stay at Home Restriction, the advice is to Continue to avoid unnecessary journeys

512767.png

Then at Section 6: Cultural & Social Measures at Phase 1, under the Sport category, it says Permit people to engage in outdoor sporting and fitness activities, either individually or in very small groups (maximum 4 people), where social distancing can be maintained and where there is no contact

512768.png

It seems there are some slight contradictions in there..
    Your sport requires you to have your sails, so going to get them or in turn, going to the boat to go sailing won't be an unnecessary journey.. Of course you could come across a Guard in the wrong mood who thinks differently, but arm yourself with a copy of the Roadmap for Reopening Society & Business and go from there.

I'll be going down and back a few times next week to the marina, and don't think I'll be lucky enough to completely avoid a checkpoint (assuming they're still operating at that stage).

I should be ok I can take back roads throughnorth county Dublin and avoid the m50 & m2 if it comes to it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DMYC lift-in now scheduled for June 6th and 7th.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    DMYC lift-in now scheduled for June 6th and 7th.

Ah, so that's when the weather is going to turn 'Irish' again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I should be ok I can take back roads throughnorth county Dublin and avoid the m50 & m2 if it comes to it.

If you don't think a Garda is going to let you continue on your journey, you shouldn't be making it.

Coast Guard has (partially) lifted its call to refrain from water based activities

https://afloat.ie/safety/coastguard/item/46319-coastguard-revises-current-advisory-on-not-to-use-the-sea-for-recreation

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/f6237e-coast-guard-thanks-public-for-cooperation-and-urges-caution-when-eng/
    In the lead in to the first phase (May 18th) of the Government ‘Roadmap for reopening society and business’ the Coast Guard has thanked the public for their cooperation in observing the travel and social distancing guidelines as they impact on maritime and coastal activities. The phased easing of restrictions will result in more people participating in coastal and water based leisure activities that are within the 5km radius. The Coast Guard is emphasising the importance of continuing to observe current Covid -19 guidelines, as well as attending to their personal safety when engaging in any water based or coastal activity.

Under Phase 1 of the Roadmap to Recovery (commencing 18 May), people are permitted to engage in outdoor sporting and fitness activities on an individual basis. Very small groups – a maximum of four people - will be permitted to engage in outdoor sporting and fitness activity but only within a 5km travel distance and where social distancing of 2 metres can be maintained. Members of the public should use caution if engaged in water sports, realising there are no lifeguards on the beaches, and many swimming spots are closed off to prevent gatherings, i.e. social distancing.

Many clubs and organisations have also provided their members with detailed guidelines to be followed with the commencement of phase 1 of the roadmap

Coast Guard Search and Rescue services including those provided by RNLI and Community Rescue Units (CRBI) continue to be fully operational and on call 24/7.

Gerard O’Flynn on behalf of the Coast Guard stated;

“It is recognised that people will want to get out for a break and take to the water if they are living or exercising near the coast or inland waters. The public are again reminded to follow Government instructions, which are focused on protecting frontline services and saving lives. Observe the current 2x5 rule i.e. 2M physical distance & 5KM travel distance.”

Arrangements continue to be in place for Coast Guard services including Helicopters and Volunteer Coast Guard units to assist HSE, Gardai and Local Authorities in provision of community and other logistical support during the current emergency.

If you see somebody in trouble in the water or along the coast use VHF Ch 16 or Dial 112 (or 999) and ask for the Coast Guard

Spotted an old school 1980s beneteau 28 or 30 motoring out of malahide marina this morning about 9am. Thought tomorrow is marina opening day

Spotted an old school 1980s beneteau 28 or 30 motoring out of malahide marina this morning about 9am. Thought tomorrow is marina opening day

It is!

Could have been someone in on a visitor berth, or perhaps someone on a mooring

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Looks like HYC is lifting restrictions tomorrow.

Steve wrote: »
    Looks like HYC is lifting restrictions tomorrow.

I think like most places, it's the marina only, and clubhouse facilities are still off limits..

I'm off to do some work on the boat tomorrow and I've an empty bottle of Innocent juice with me in case I'm caught short... :eek:

Just the marina & crane. Clubhouse isn't opening and only 2 people allowed down for a lift in/out

Got down today and the yard in Malahide was a hive of activity.

I managed to get the hull sanded, filled & faired a few bits, and a first coat of anti-fouling on!!

Delighted with my days work.

Down again tomorrow for another coat and will launch on Thursday/Friday..

• Advertisement

I'm not going near mine for a few days. Let the mass hysteria die down first. Another day or 2 isnt going matter

Advertisement