Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Daibheid wrote: »
    The Italians were losing ground all the way to the finish after that ill judged lower mark rounding let NZ back in.
    The NZ helm of tactician slipped and fell in the first race, could have been a game changer.

Both boats were feeling the other out, the gloves haven't come off yet.

I think we're in for some excitement so I'll certainly stick with it.

Unfortunately these races have
    haven't gotten any more interesting.
    4 dull races.

I really enjoyed the prada cup but, now it's just not very exciting, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,257 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Unfortunately these races have
    haven't gotten any more interesting.
    4 dull races.

I really enjoyed the prada cup but, now it's just not very exciting, imo.
    They're keeping me watching just on the offchance of someone making a mistake - but it's seeming less and less likely outside of the start sequence.

At least today they broke the "port entry always wins the start" pattern, so at least there's 2 minutes of excitement/jeopardy in the whole race!

They seem to be picking the courses with the most stable winds (although today was very light), so there's not even any shifts to pick up on. We need either a good blow, or a proper flukey day to add a bit of variety to it.

I'll stick with it now, just because the overall results are so close, but yes, the races could be a LOT more exciting.

I'm the same.
    I'll see it through in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Its like watching F1 few years back, whoever gets out in front stays there unchallenged

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

First out, first back yet again, we need a shifty day on the Stadium course to spice this up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

neris wrote: »
    Its like watching F1 few years back, whoever gets out in front stays there unchallenged

F1 was won/lost in qualifying
    The AC is won/lost on the start line....

They should just make the race a start, and 1nm beat up to a top mark/finish line, and maybe it like the snooker, so first to 17 wins or something.... with at least 5-6 races per day.

Pas de vent, pas de course!

Well, well, well......

I'm halfway through race one, and we have ourselves a contest!!

And a different kind of contest in Race 2!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And a different kind of contest in Race 2!

Some good old fashioned displacement racing at points, gutting for the Italians!

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Some good old fashioned displacement racing at points, gutting for the Italians!
    The Italians, when they were wallowing towards the windward mark trying to limp their way around it, were still wallowing at 8-10kts! That's a respectable speed for us normally downwind under kite!! :D

Who hasn't been there, sailing merrily away from your mark in slowmo while the tide outdoes the wind?

Hopefully a bit more breeze tomorrow, or someone out there will have a heart attack. Probably one of the grinders, did you see that poor Kiwi fella after the finish?? :eek:

The Italians, when they were wallowing towards the windward mark trying to limp their way around it, were still wallowing at 8-10kts! That's a respectable speed for us normally downwind under kite!! :D
    :

That's the amazing thing, they actually displacement race similar to or faster than the old AC boats!

Well, another exciting first race today!!

I'm only at leg 5, but how one or both boats haven't clattered into a mark or light beacon yet, I do not know - the stuff seems to be littered all over the course!!

Some proper match racing today - it's a tactical education!

Pints on Jimmy Spithill tonight after that first race!!

:eek:

Tough spot for the Italians, one more mistake and the dream is over, obv they need to go 2-0 tomorrow to make it a contest again! Must be kicking themselves for yesterday especially dropping off the foils and losing a near 5 minute lead! Outraced by ETNZ in the one race today.

Tough spot for the Italians, one more mistake and the dream is over, obv they need to go 2-0 tomorrow to make it a contest again! Must be kicking themselves for yesterday especially dropping off the foils and losing a near 5 minute lead! Outraced by ETNZ in the one race today.
    I'm not so sure about that, they were holding them off all the way until that one tack in leg 5 which was ill-judged / seriously unlucky with the way the windshift went just then / both.

(Unlucky doesn't really cut it, mind you - these guys are the best in the world, shouldn't be misreading the puffs, if that's what happened!)

I've got pretty good at avoiding social media in the mornings these days to dodge spoilers before I can watch the racing - but I wasn't expecting RTE News to provide the results early on! :rolleyes:

Not that it was much of a surprise really, 4 straight wins was always going to be a big ask.

Well done the Kiwis! Apparently they're looking for locations elsewhere to run the next one, so we might get to watch some racing in actual real time on this side of the world..... here's hoping!

Right, off to watch the racing now, and maybe a re-run of yesterday's race - definitely the race of the whole thing for me!

I've got pretty good at avoiding social media in the mornings these days to dodge spoilers before I can watch the racing - but I wasn't expecting RTE News to provide the results early on! :rolleyes:

Not that it was much of a surprise really, 4 straight wins was always going to be a big ask.

Well done the Kiwis! Apparently they're looking for locations elsewhere to run the next one, so we might get to watch some racing in actual real time on this side of the world..... here's hoping!

Right, off to watch the racing now, and maybe a re-run of yesterday's race - definitely the race of the whole thing for me!

Spoiled person dumps spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Major Dad

Newstalk NZ reporting that a challenge (and, by implication, a new Challenger of Record) has been accepted for the 37th America’s Cup. Very strong rumours that the challenger is the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes, but of more interest is the rumour that it is a Deed of Gift challenge to be held next summer in Cowes!!

Spoiled person dumps spoiler.
    Fixed that now, sorry to anyone else I spoiled it for! Coffee didn't kick in early enough..... :o

• Advertisement

I'm only watching the aftermath now.....

Is (double Olympic gold medal winner!) Shirley Robertson the most irritating interviewer EVER?

"What...Does....This....Mean....To.....You" (the team/the country/the families/the crews, etc)???
    "How....Special....Is....This....To....You" (the team/the country/the families/the crews, etc)???

Those phrases will haunt me for the next week.

Major Dad wrote: »
    Newstalk NZ reporting that a challenge (and, by implication, a new Challenger of Record) has been accepted for the 37th America’s Cup. Very strong rumours that the challenger is the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes, but of more interest is the rumour that it is a Deed of Gift challenge to be held next summer in Cowes!!

Why would the Kiwis go and do that? It is indeed the rumour though, even if it makes no sense to me.

Why would the Kiwis go and do that? It is indeed the rumour though, even if it makes no sense to me.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

neris wrote: »
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So AC 36's round the Isle of Wight in 2022, 1 race, no qualifiers, hardly a $ making machine?

So AC 36's round the Isle of Wight in 2022, 1 race, no qualifiers, hardly a $ making machine?

Maybe not now, but if your Mr Ineos and youve just had your pride dented and can afford to get the kiwis to turn up and then beat them theres money in the coming years but with some of these guys its not all money either its ego

ETNZ might be in a tricky spot right now. NZ govt have only committed $5m at the moment to keep the team together, which is peanuts really. I think they stumped up $40m for the AC36 cycle, and saw virtually no ROI due to Covid restricting tourism, virtually no super yachts going to Auckland etc. So there isn’t much appetite from the NZ govt to underwrite the team again. And ETNZ’s major sponsor (Emirates) is being badly affected by the reduction in global travel, so they’re not too keen to stump either. At the same time, the billionaire owners of other teams are flashing their cheque books at the key players on ETNZ. So Dalton is reputedly open to offers from other venues who could bid to hold the cup (as Bermuda did), and he uses the cash from selling the event to keep ETNZ together. Now imagine Jim Ratcliffe offers to fund both INEOS and ETNZ for a year, conditional on a Deed of Gift challenge in the Solent in 2022.

Sorry for being thick, but what's a Deed of Gift Challenge when it's at home?

This is the the most fiendishly complicated tournament I know of!

Deed of Gift challenge was the original style of challenge used up until 1970 - one defender and one challenger. By 1970, there were a number of different challengers interested in challenging, so a challenger series was introduced to see who would be the official challenger.

@HeidiHeidi - do you listen to Shirley Robertson’s podcast series? It’s really good. She has all her mates on, and she has some seriously talented mates...

• Advertisement

Major Dad wrote: »
    @HeidiHeidi - do you listen to Shirley Robertson’s podcast series? It’s really good. She has all her mates on, and she has some seriously talented mates...
    No..... but I might now!

Advertisement