Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Major Dad wrote: »
    Deed of Gift challenge was the original style of challenge used up until 1970 - one defender and one challenger. By 1970, there were a number of different challengers interested in challenging, so a challenger series was introduced to see who would be the official challenger.

Love to go back to the days of the defender series aswell

@HeidiHeidi - do you listen to Shirley Robertson’s podcast series? It’s really good. She has all her mates on, and she has some seriously talented mates...

She was & maybe still is married to one of the McWilliams from crosshaven

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Major Dad

She was, and maybe still is, married to Jamie Boag, who I think is originally from Northern Ireland. Jamie managed the Green Dragon Volvo campaign in conjunction with Ian Walker, and then they both moved on to managing the two Abu Dhabi Volvo campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

She was, and maybe still is, married to Jamie Boag, who I think is originally from Northern Ireland. Jamie managed the Green Dragon Volvo campaign in conjunction with Ian Walker, and then they both moved on to managing the two Abu Dhabi Volvo campaigns.

Still married to Jamie Boag, aye, not a McWilliams :)

This just showed up in my YouTube fed

• Advertisement

What does she rate? :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Great for picking up crab pots of Skerries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Daibheid

"Low radar signature"
    and later
    "Room for high value goods"

I wonder who the target clientele might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

The big question really is what is that stuff doing in Neris' Tube feed! :eek::D

Mick Tator wrote: »
    The big question really is what is that stuff doing in Neris' Tube feed! :eek::D

Been subscribed to Berthons channel on YouTube for a while ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ended up down the YouTube rabbit hole and found this story, which I was unaware of;

I remember once hearing about a U-Boat crew that were sunk (or scuttled) just off the Cork coast, and were all taken in by the local families as a sort of internment until the end of the war, some of which ended up staying and settling there when the war was over.
    Also heard that a couple of babies were born down there who might have otherwise been called Fritz or Helmut.....

Ended up down the YouTube rabbit hole
    I remember once hearing about a U-Boat crew that were sunk (or scuttled) just off the Cork coast, and were all taken in by the local families as a sort of internment until the end of the war, some of which ended up staying and settling there when the war was over.
    Also heard that a couple of babies were born down there who might have otherwise been called Fritz or Helmut.....

I think that might be the same source as the one that maintains U-Boats were refuelled in 'out of the way' places on Irish coasts. ;)

neris wrote: »
    Been subscribed to Berthons channel on YouTube for a while ;)
    Enjoy the tease! There is rarely anything below 100k on that brokerage.:)

Mick Tator wrote: »
    Enjoy the tease! There is rarely anything below 100k on that brokerage.:)

I know but its better viewing then the late late or prime time

One of my favourite things each month is when I get to the end of Seahorse magazine, and I find the Berthon ads, and I think to myself “So I’ve just won the euro millions Lottery - what would I choose?”. Sometimes I spoil myself and pick two - one for cruising and one for racing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rje66

ETNZ might be in a tricky spot right now. NZ govt have only committed $5m at the moment to keep the team together, which is peanuts really. I think they stumped up $40m for the AC36 cycle, and saw virtually no ROI due to Covid restricting tourism, virtually no super yachts going to Auckland etc. So there isn’t much appetite from the NZ govt to underwrite the team again. And ETNZ’s major sponsor (Emirates) is being badly affected by the reduction in global travel, so they’re not too keen to stump either. At the same time, the billionaire owners of other teams are flashing their cheque books at the key players on ETNZ. So Dalton is reputedly open to offers from other venues who could bid to hold the cup (as Bermuda did), and he uses the cash from selling the event to keep ETNZ together. Now imagine Jim Ratcliffe offers to fund both INEOS and ETNZ for a year, conditional on a Deed of Gift challenge in the Solent in 2022.
    Is Matteo de Nora not involved in ETNZ as a financial backer???

He is indeed - he’s been a long-time backer for them and no doubt will contribute again for AC37. But he can only do so much. Ben Ainslie did an interview in the Torygraph today where he talked about the importance of nailing down key syndicate figures almost immediately, and Magnus Wheatley (of Rule69 blog fame) has been writing about the effective sailing “transfer window” that’s now open. So financial backing is needed right now to sign the key players.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

S the latest announcement makes it unlikely that we will see any sort of racing back before the end of May...

I know DBSC were fairly bullish about getting going on the 26th April but that was probably optimistic

Looks like its going to be another wash out of a season.

A strict reading of the Level 1-5 rules suggests no competitive racing until we get back to Level 2, which is unlikely before end-June at the earliest. We could do “training events” but no official results can be calculated or kept. Disappointingly, it looks like Dun Laoghaire Week won’t be able to go ahead - I had that in the diary. I’m thinking now that the only significant event we might get to do this year will be the ICRA’s in Howth in early September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

A strict reading of the Level 1-5 rules suggests no competitive racing until we get back to Level 2, which is unlikely before end-June at the earliest. We could do “training events” but no official results can be calculated or kept. Disappointingly, it looks like Dun Laoghaire Week won’t be able to go ahead - I had that in the diary. I’m thinking now that the only significant event we might get to do this year will be the ICRA’s in Howth in early September.

Is there new guidance out or are you reading the old documents, I'm pretty sure they're out the window now?

I don’t honestly know if the old levels 1-5 pathway is out the window now. In fact, the only certain thing is that people don’t know anything. Afloat this morning had pieces from 4 clubs - Howth, Royal Cork and Kinsale all expressing disappointment that there was no clarity on the situation, and DBSC who optimistically said they were planning to start their Summer Racing Series in May. I hear the ISA are trying to include competitive racing under the “training” umbrella but not sure how successful that approach will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i don't see many leisure boats for sale on donedeal these days

is there a more dedicated site? (irish pref)

i'm looking for something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 29,257 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Yacht Market

Filter for Ireland, and preferences (sail/power/size/price etc...)

95% of what's on Apollo Duck, but there's usually around 5% or so on one site and not the other.

Nice site to browse too.

Theres very little for sale at the moment in ireland. The rare time Anything decent pops up its moving quickly. Brexits not helping either with import duties

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

neris wrote: »
    Theres very little for sale at the moment in ireland.

covid? lockdown? no one's going boating?

fryup wrote: »
    covid? lockdown? no one's going boating?

Covid has pushed up demand but also people are holding on to boats because they want to use them or they cant get an upgrade because of travel restrictions on a boat from abroad. Even on the continent some boats arent hanging around once they for sale. I got an email from a broker in Holland on Friday on a new listing they had just put up and its already under offer

• Advertisement

Came across a video on youtube over the weekend that was put out a few weeks ago and managed to grab a screen shot of this. Looking in a very sorry unloved state. Boats in Trondheim Norway which would more then likely make this Moonduster.

Screenshot-20210411-115400-You-Tube.jpg

Advertisement