Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

fergal.b wrote: »
    Boss man at it again :eek:

Grief!

Dinghy sailing starting back soon, I imagine that will be a cold experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fergal.b wrote: »
    Boss man at it again :eek:

Saw this on FB earlier.... he must have one pair of seriously grippy shoes!

And as for that dive - UTV's Splash series should be on to him pronto for the next run!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

He has a lot to learn about diving alright :)

article-2095929-118CEB97000005DC-229_638x426.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JR IRELAND

that's an amazing AD

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Woohooo, just booked accomodation in Kinsale for Cork week, I'll be sailing and the OH is coming along to do some touring around Cork :) He's also my designated chauffeur for the week :D

Any tips from any veterans on what to expect of the four days racing?

• Advertisement

Wasn't there for the last two, but was there for the two before that (when it was five days racing).

Best organised racing in the country (that I've come across anyway).

When we were down there there were 400-500 boats on five courses - I think I heard last time there were in or around 100, so I don't know how that has affected the setup, but there can't possibly have been the same atmosphere. May well have been better though, it was an awful scrum the years I was there!

You will be fleeced at every turn. Beers in the RCYC, beers in the pubs in town, accomodation, meals out, everything. Have deep pockets.

Brilliant, brilliant fun.

The Harbour Course (assuming they still have it) was my favourite of all - a romp all the way from outside Roche's Point up to Cobh where we practically stuck the nose of the boat under the boardwalk and could see the whites of the pedestrians' eyes - and half the fleet ran aground :D

It was a brilliant week, you'll have a great time. And learn LOADS. There's a lot to be said for a solid week of racing all day every day, you'll learn ten times as much as doing the same number of hours over a few months of Saturdays.

Jealous!!!

ETA - hold on.... Kinsale? Cork Week? Are you sure? Kinsale has Sovereign's Week (I think!), Crosshaven has Cork Week....... I'm on about Cork Week in Crosshaven. Hope I haven't got wires crossed here!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Wasn't there for the last two, but was there for the two before that (when it was five days racing).

Best organised racing in the country (that I've come across anyway).

When we were down there there were 400-500 boats on five courses - I think I heard last time there were in or around 100, so I don't know how that has affected the setup, but there can't possibly have been the same atmosphere. May well have been better though, it was an awful scrum the years I was there!

You will be fleeced at every turn. Beers in the RCYC, beers in the pubs in town, accomodation, meals out, everything. Have deep pockets.

Brilliant, brilliant fun.

The Harbour Course (assuming they still have it) was my favourite of all - a romp all the way from outside Roche's Point up to Cobh where we practically stuck the nose of the boat under the boardwalk and could see the whites of the pedestrians' eyes - and half the fleet ran aground :D

It was a brilliant week, you'll have a great time. And learn LOADS. There's a lot to be said for a solid week of racing all day every day, you'll learn ten times as much as doing the same number of hours over a few months of Saturdays.

Jealous!!!

ETA - hold on.... Kinsale? Cork Week? Are you sure? Kinsale has Sovereign's Week (I think!), Crosshaven has Cork Week....... I'm on about Cork Week in Crosshaven. Hope I haven't got wires crossed here!

Yeah it's Crosshaven, but as I'm trying to combine Cork week with a holiday with the OH and LOATHE hotels as I travel a lot with work, I found a great apartment in Kinsale, don't mind driving each day, and the OH doesn't drink so he will happily schedule what he's doing with any social activities that take place :) And it means that we can have a night or two together outside of somewhere like Carrigaline heaving with sailors (he's not a fan of sailing at all!)

THey do still have the Harbour course, looking forward to that :)

Thanks for the post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Kinsale is a great spot, especially good if you like seafood restaurants

Stheno wrote: »
    Yeah it's Crosshaven, but as I'm trying to combine Cork week with a holiday with the OH and LOATHE hotels as I travel a lot with work, I found a great apartment in Kinsale, don't mind driving each day, and the OH doesn't drink so he will happily schedule what he's doing with any social activities that take place :) And it means that we can have a night or two together outside of somewhere like Carrigaline heaving with sailors (he's not a fan of sailing at all!)

THey do still have the Harbour course, looking forward to that :)

Thanks for the post :)

Yeah, just checked, seems Sovereign's Cup is every second year opposite Cork Week. I thought it was yearly.

I thought Kinsale was a lot further from Crosshaven than it seems to be - and if you've a non-drinker to chauffeur you to and from, then you're sorted! You'll still have very early starts, though! Sailing courses can be an hour from the pontoon/raft.

But it's a blast of a week, you'll have a great time!

Vexorg wrote: »
    Kinsale is a great spot, especially good if you like seafood restaurants

Yup, love my seafood :)
    Yeah, just checked, seems Sovereign's Cup is every second year opposite Cork Week. I thought it was yearly.

I thought Kinsale was a lot further from Crosshaven than it seems to be - and if you've a non-drinker to chauffeur you to and from, then you're sorted! You'll still have very early starts, though! Sailing courses can be an hour from the pontoon/raft.

But it's a blast of a week, you'll have a great time!

It's less than 20 mins drive and I expect I'll be driving to Carrigaline and meeting the lads there as they are staying there. The OH is great about the sailing/chauffeuring side of things tbh, and it's a quarter of my holidays from work to go, so using it for him to visit relatives (he's from Cork), do history stuff which drives me bats, and other random stuff while I'm out sailing makes sense :)

Come the longer days I'll be out sailing up to six days a week (evenings and weekends) and he is very very accomodating about that, so it will be nice to combine the two :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

he's not a fan of sailing at all!

You'll have to sort that out! :P

Conchir wrote: »
    You'll have to sort that out! :P

he's very supportive of me having a hobby/sport I enjoy, but he sees it as a dangerous sport* (he can't swim, and went out a few times on a cruiser).

There is no way in hell he would every get on a boat, when he went on the cruiser, he spent his time in the cabin heehee :D

That said I show him videos and stuff and he has fierce interest in what is happening but doesn't want to be in those situations.

*Took me five years to turn him into a rugby fan

But like I said he is incredibly supportive with my sailing, I actually have to credit him with me going to the introduction day in Howth last year, he insisted we do it, so without him, I'd not now have a hobby that I enjoy so much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Sounds good then. By the sounds of it though, there's potential there to slowly convert him, with a bit of work :P

Conchir wrote: »
    Sounds good then. By the sounds of it though, there's potential there to slowly convert him, with a bit of work :P

No chance lolol, and fair play to him imo for knowing his boundaries :)

He is most amazed at the fact that I used sleep in Sat/Sun until 1/2pm, and sees me get up at 7am on a Sunday to go sailing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭batmanzed

FYI, I popped into Ted Johnsons in Naas yesterday and they have a 20% off sale going on until 15th March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

....... - and half the fleet ran aground :D

That was not a first - happened all the time. There was a well-known RIYC boat called 'Standfast' that hit the mud on a low tide and was thenceforth christened and known everafter as 'Stuckfast'.:D
    Back when it was Ford Week we competed most years and always tried to nobble a local as crew for the Harbour Race - tidal knowledge is critical. You will have a ball, it's a great event.

Hooray!

First outing of 2014 today - and WHAT a day for it :D

Congrats, a number of ripped spinnakers out in Dun Laoghaire today, we did not damage ours despite trying very hard, we did put a nice hole in our Jib and a few in the main, and even managed to get one crew wet.

Are you sailing in Dun Laoghaire also?

Are you sure you weren't on our boat???

We tied ourselves up in knots, the boat and every rope on it into worse knots, wrapped the spinny, the uphaul and sundry other things around the forestay, almost t-boned a 1720 in half (hope you're over the shock, if you're reading this, whoever you were - but we WERE on starboard :D and shouting:D). And that was just on run one. We gave up on it after that!!! And put a rip in the jib just for good measure. Thankfully the main seems to have survived the day.

Much, much windier than I expected - it was quite the shock to the system, which hasn't seen any action since last November. And oh boy, you could tell! I can hardly walk now. Clearly some training is required before lift-in of our own boat......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Vexorg wrote: »
    ....and even managed to get one crew wet.

Wet?

WET????

I reckon I made history there...

Kite was wrapped, me trying to undo it and it fills with me on the wrong side of the sheet (silly mistake), next thing I'm kite surfing on my back about 10 feet to leeward of the boat - still doing 7kts and no way was I letting go of the sheet.. :D

Managed to somehow 'surf' back to the boat and grabbed onto the rail and, with some help, got back on board.

Thankfully the lifejacket didn't inflate, I'd never have gotten through the rail.

Best bit is this though, I'm sitting there in the cockpit, dripping, I reach into my inside pocket and the smokes are still dry!! the lighter even worked!!!

Some day. :D

• Advertisement

Ah now, you tell the story so much better than I could.. but the dry cigs and working lighter was pretty cool.

I was surprised you didn't say - can we do it again :)

God bless your hanging-onto-a-rope muscles!!!

HOWEVER.

On a not so light note - your lifejacket didn't go up :eek::eek::eek:

While in this case, where you managed to hang onto something and stay in contact with the boat it may have worked to your advantage (although I'd happily argue against that), if you'd gone clear overboard that could have been a big problem......

The proportion of man overboards I've seen/heard of in Dublin Bay where LJs didn't go up is truly scary.

Can I use this opportunity to call on people sailing/racing/boating to

GET YER BLOODY LIFEJACKETS CHECKED

Thank you.

ETA - and while I'm at it, if you don't have one already, get a crotch-strap fitted, and use it. Another hobby-horse of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

On a not so light note - your lifejacket didn't go up

While in this case, where you managed to hang onto something and stay in contact with the boat it may have worked to your advantage (although I'd happily argue against that), if you'd gone clear overboard that could have been a big problem......

I checked it, it's fine. If I had let go of the spinnaker I would have sank and the immersion trigger would have fired. As I was being towed by the boat, I didn't sink enough. Proof of this is the still dry smokes..

I agree with you though - everyone should satisfy themselves that their personal buoyancy equipment is functional.

Steve wrote: »
    Wet?

WET????

I reckon I made history there...

Kite was wrapped, me trying to undo it and it fills with me on the wrong side of the sheet (silly mistake), next thing I'm kite surfing on my back about 10 feet to leeward of the boat - still doing 7kts and no way was I letting go of the sheet.. :D

Managed to somehow 'surf' back to the boat and grabbed onto the rail and, with some help, got back on board.

Thankfully the lifejacket didn't inflate, I'd never have gotten through the rail.

Best bit is this though, I'm sitting there in the cockpit, dripping, I reach into my inside pocket and the smokes are still dry!! the lighter even worked!!!

Some day. :D

I am so glad I was too sick to go sailing today, that could have been me :eek:

I was just thinking about getting my lifejacket serviced too!

Was the photographer out today? :D

One of the few days we did not have the camera running. It would have been great to watch and see what we were doing wrong.

@ miss no stars have you tried those trousers in anger yet?

@ everyone else, I've discovered reality of life as a bowman and come to dislike my crewmates love of my getting wet whilst preventing them from doing so.

Has anyone who has spent time on the bow recommendations for a cag/top with some sort of neck seal?

I wear a drysuit usually dinghy sailing (Unless it's very warm) and am thinking of some sort of top with a similiar neck fitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I was a bowman on a 3/4 tonner for a few seasons a long time ago. Dip - pole gybing. I got wet. Very wet. There was nothing that would keep water out. Back then we wore lifejackets only at night and in very bad weather. A scary moment was once when I was between forestay and pulpit executing a gybe the bow dug in and my lifejacket auto inflated. I was stuck there for a while, skipper roaring to come aft, the cockpit crew laughing their a$$es off. It actually was funny after the initial shock. I never wore a 'salt cell' inflate jacket after that. Grin and bear the damp. At least nowadays the clubs have hot showers, in my time the dinghy people used up what little hot water the Juniors had left.

Wasn't sure which thread to post this on, might be of interest to some..... if anyone thinks it'd be seen by more in another thread please feel free to move :)

Boat jumble to be held in Greystones 6th April.

http://www.sailing.ie/ISANews/tabid/115/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/58798/language/en-GB/Greystones-Boat-Jumble.aspx?utm_source=ISA+Weekly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=3856669ea7-Weekly_Newsletter_13th_March_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dad6065394-3856669ea7-128480269

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

@ miss no stars have you tried those trousers in anger yet?

Nope and owner injury has gone and cast doubt on the whole bloody season. Haven't been out at all since autumn and even then only made it to one race of the whole autumn league (talk about a bad run of sailing luck). Considered doing Brass Monkeys Spring and finding a boat for it but when I had a nosy at the entry list the majority were white sail and tbh that just put me right off. WTF is with white sailing? So boring. Pop the bloody kite up and have a real race. This whole spinnaker fear trend really needs addressing in a serious manner. People say they can't get and keep crew so they white sail to make it easy to get crew cos you can take complete novices and train them up and blah de blah... Well of course you can't retain crew if they spend the race bored off their faces on the rail doing nothing... Ugh. Rant over.

Took up other sports to compensate, though, so at least I won't be blowing off the cobwebs for the first time come the summer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Nope and owner injury has gone and cast doubt on the whole bloody season. Haven't been out at all since autumn and even then only made it to one race of the whole autumn league (talk about a bad run of sailing luck). Considered doing Brass Monkeys Spring and finding a boat for it but when I had a nosy at the entry list the majority were white sail and tbh that just put me right off. WTF is with white sailing? So boring. Pop the bloody kite up and have a real race. This whole spinnaker fear trend really needs addressing in a serious manner. People say they can't get and keep crew so they white sail to make it easy to get crew cos you can take complete novices and train them up and blah de blah... Well of course you can't retain crew if they spend the race bored off their faces on the rail doing nothing... Ugh. Rant over.

Took up other sports to compensate, though, so at least I won't be blowing off the cobwebs for the first time come the summer...

White sails really pisses me off. Could go on a rant about white sails but would be club specific. The brass monkeys spinnaker class was good racing these last 2 series

Advertisement