Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Give yourself a pat on the back, there..... oh wait, you already did.

Aren't you brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jameshickey87

Hey could anybody help me here with my boat looking to find out what make and model my boat is

Thanks

James

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058240016/what-did-i-just-buy#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Have the prices of second hand boats and marine items come in price over the last few months?

I think I've noticed a change, it must be due to inflation and fuel price?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Everything has gone up even if you take into account covid,the war and inflation I will no longer buy in parts and gear from the UK as the customs is just outrageous and a nightmare to deal with. The end of seagull engines for me. 😞 and like alot of boats here I have a BMC . I'm OK in one way as I can fix my engine and boat myself but anyone else that is looking for someone to work on their boats will have a hard time finding them and if they do it will cost an arm and a leg I know lots of people having to wait 2 years to get a canopy repaired or fixed. We had many years where we never trained in apprentices in trade work so now the few that are around are able to charge what they want, I can't see us coming out of this anytime soon. I have stopped doing any work for people as the price I have to charge is miles away from what they were thinking some people have even said to me if I build them something that they could have got it alot cheaper in IKEA 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

I actually meant to say down in price. I was thinking only ertain items like engines. With fuel the price it is I thought it was reasonable that people would get rid of boats with the thirsty engines, and struggle to sell them hence a price slight decrease when compared with what they were last Summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It is a fright 😦 just after paying €12 customs for something that cost £25. It is worth having a look at Statesian sites now as they usually a bit cheaper and you'll be caught for customs anyway. Huge sums of money changing hands now for very little work being done.

No. You’re looking at this the wrong way.

The rise in fuel prices is not really much in the overall context. For example, a 150hp diesel burns about 15 LPH. Say you run 100 hours in the season so 1500L– with a price increase of 30 cents that’s an extra €450 which is not much in the overall cost of running a boat of that size.

I think second-hand boat prices actually will increase as people realise the enjoyment a boat can give and contrast the price with how expensive Irish hotels, holiday home rentals and ferry fares are here. There is a shortage of boats in the market and none are coming in from the UK. Look at the second-hand car market and what is happening to prices there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it worth charging up a battery or just replace it, mine was a little down after the winter I should have probably put it on a trickle charge, tested it and it still had enough volts to start the engine but not a full 12v, anyways I completely flattened it yesterday trying to start the boat but i'm putting that down to a fuel problem not the battery.

What would you do, I need to either buy a battery or battery charger, might also invest in one of the portable booster packs just for emergencies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

No harm in charging it up again if you haven't got a charger maybe jump start the engine and leave it to charge up the battery. You can buy small solar panels that you can leave on a window and it will keep the battery topped up. Worth having a power pack and charger if you own a boat they won't go to waste 😀 If your is one of the older ones check it for water.

To add to Fergal's comments, if the engine was turning over fast enough for you to think it might start,  probably the battery is salvageable. A charger’s output should be between 10 and 20% of the battery size e.g. if your battery is 100 amp hours the charger should output 10-20 amps. Trickle chargers can kill a battery and if you are serious about battery care you need to consider a ‘smart’ charger. A decent power pack (e.g. Noco brand) is probably more expensive than a replacement battery. If you are buying a battery go for an AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can't just replace standard 12v lead acid batteries with AGM all the time. AGM batteries require different charging voltages and will fail prematurely if not used with an alternator / battery charger specifically setup for AGM batteries. Most battery chargers will have a different function for AGM batteries for this reason although some can detect themselves

Don't know if it's suitable for an AGM battery, it's an 88 mercruiser 4.3 if that makes a difference..., I picked up a ring 6a smart battery charger and maintainer this afternoon so going to stick it on that and see what happens, hopefully a few drops of petrol down the carb will fix my starting problem.

At 6 amps I'd guess the charger is too small, you probably need one double that size. Without knowing the condition, charge state and size in amp hours of the battery it is impossible to give a straight answer. I'd guess that the battery is about 90ah so it's going to take at least a day to bring it back up.

It's 105ah, ampac battery, not marine specific, charging away now at 12.7 was flickering between 12.4 and 12.5 when I first plugged it in. I completely flattened it yesterday wouldn't even try to crank in the end. It's looking ok on the battery front I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Unlikely it will be for an AGM battery, depends how much use the boat gets Vs how often you have the battery on the charger.

It's only used on nice days, probably out once a week or so from here on in, it was fully charged at 14.6v when I checked it this morning so I plugged it out, still reading 13.4v there now, I'll check again when it's running and after a spin, just waiting on muffs to run it before going back to the water.

It's about time for Fergal to invest in a real boat!

https://yachts.apolloduck.ie/boat/sailing-yachts-classic-yacht-for-sale/697269

I look at that and all I see is sandpaper,bad back and bad knees 😀

• Advertisement

You're doing well that you haven't those already! I love the idea of a wooden deck, grew up on tales of holystones, bears and swabbers!

Has anyone suggested a thread like they have in the Watches or Car forums, 'Today's bargain boat that i'm not buying' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's no such thing as a bargain boat

Also needs a "Today I did something to my boat" thread even though it will be just mainly fergal posting in it and putting everyone to shame

Has anyone been to Inishkea? I am tempted to go over for a few days in the next month or so, do a bit of wild camping

No, but I once went ashore at Gola further up the coast. Similarly deserted, beautiful but eerie. There is a very interesting book on the Inishkeas written by Dornan. Gives the history of the place, system of farming (rundale). It's years since i read it, I recall the story of how the natives beat off some mainlanders with stones and oars - they tried to land/find succour there during the Famine.

I went to have a look at a house on Inishmeane just up the road from Gola. Didn't get it in the end, perhaps I should have.

I never wanted a house on an island. Imagine driving for hours having already spent hours loading up car with goods and kids and on arriving at destination unloading all, launching a boat, loading the boat, trying to start an engine that had been stored for an age and then landing and unloading all again to stay in a house that had been unoccupied by neither humans or little furry creatures (you hope) for an age? And then someone remembers that the cooler with the beer and the milk was left behind and the nearest shop on the mainland is 15 miles away and doesn't open until 10 tomorrow. No thanks!😀

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's a ferry service to Gola now, of some sort, I haven't used it myself but family have.

I was there about 40 years ago, and have two abiding memories - nearly breaking my ankle in a feet-deep rabbit hole - and the houses that looked like the family had their tea, and just got up, put their coats on, and walked off the island - the furniture was still there, delph on the dresser, turf and ashes in the fireplace - it was properly spooky!

I think a few have returned to have summer homes there now, and there's a little bothán shop as well.

• Advertisement

I did live on an island for a while and that didn't happen. If you leave the house unoccupied for a long time you will have problems and if you're trying to fit your "house on an island" life in with a busy Dublin working life it will be a disaster altogether

If you're actually living there you'll get into the habit of being organised with your supplies fairly quickly and you'll make sure your boat will start

Advertisement