Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now they're looking for a tax on paper bags!

Options
  • 13-09-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

An environmental lobby group has called for a an extension of the plastic bag levy to paper bags. According to a statement issued by the Friends of the Irish Environment group: "International studies show that paper carrier bags should be included in any plastic bag levy as life cycle analyses show that paper bags have a greater adverse impact than a plastic bag for a number of the environmental issues."

I know some people might feel that this is a minor issue but I feel so affronted by this! I'm at the point financially where if I'm lucky enough to have some money to buy something new, it's probably in Penney's. I don't want to have to pay for my paper bag! I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones in that I've kept my job but I haven't had a pay-rise in over 5 years, my monthly income is constantly being depleted by everything increasing in price, more tax etc etc. All I see is my standard of living dropping. How much more do they want from me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

They don't want more money from you they want you to bring a bag. Think of the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

At this stage all you can do is tell them to F**c off.

OK saying raise this and that when your earning 100k a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Firstly, this is not an attempt to take more money from you. It is a suggestion, and it was only a suggestion, that was thought might encourage you to bring a bag with you when you shop.

Secondly, it was just one of dozens of ideas put forward.

Thirdly, the government has said that they would not extend the tax to paper bags.

So, most importantly, it's not happening so stop getting yourself in a twist over nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Its a stupid suggestion by an almost unknown group who wanted publicity.

Like most stupid stories - ignore it, because unknown tiny little publicity seeking groups thankfully do not run the country.

The plastic bags tax has worked brilliantly as you don't see bags on every hedgerow anymore. They are terribly cheap to produce, hence the number of bags used was gigantic. Standard paper bags, even in huge quantities cost 5c-15c each and more in small quantities, hence retailers don't throw them about like they did with plastic bags (which cost less than 1c).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

Well that's a stupid statement from them, don't they know that paper bags are organic and break down easily. We do put them on our compost heap do we not. Some light the fire with them and some even wrap the parcels with them.

Seriously if that group wanted to do something useful, then going after the big companies and thier excessive plastic packaging would be a step in the right direction.

Glad the plastic bags are almost exstinct. I tend to carry fabric shoppers around with me anyway, have done for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If it's any consolation in Northern Ireland they won't even give you a paper bag - you either pay for a plastic one or they hand your purchases to you and you walk out of the shop with them under your arm. Quite weird to watch in Debenhams and the like ;)

pow wow wrote: »
    If it's any consolation in Northern Ireland they won't even give you a paper bag - you either pay for a plastic one or they hand your purchases to you and you walk out of the shop with them under your arm. Quite weird to watch in Debenhams and the like ;)

I fully disagree with that. I was in Newry only this morning and arrived home with many paper bags - including from purchases in Debenhams. .??..

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're meant to pay for paper ones too in NI, although its shoddily enforced.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/carrier-bag-levy

MYOB wrote: »
    You're meant to pay for paper ones too in NI, although its shoddily enforced.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/carrier-bag-levy

Very interesting! I have to say, living on the border, I would be in Newry regularly and never saw any shop charge for a paper bag. Thanks for that clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I can only assume that they might waive the paper bag charge in the Border Counties due to the fact that it is not common in the Republic, and Republic customers might get annoyed at being charged for paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I fully disagree with that. I was in Newry only this morning and arrived home with many paper bags - including from purchases in Debenhams. .??..

I guess we'll have to agree to fully disagree then!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mldub

I've been in Derry this year and they were charging 5p for paper bags. It's just not the same buying new clothes and having to put them in a shopper bag that you've used over and over. When I buy new clothes, I like to get a new paper bag - much nicer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

It's like 11 years ago all over again. Will the government ever learn??

Seriously though - I don't see this being passed. However, I hope it would. There's nothing stopping people from bringing a bag with them, it just makes sense. Granted, you might forget to bring one with you, in which case, it's a very minor charge for a new...paper bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

Often at Dunnes they give you two paper bags if you buy anything on their Home section. I hate it :( I was just telling my boyfriend about this last week and how I wished they either stop doing this or charged for bags like they do on their supermarket downstairs.

I think if you don't want a paper bag then it's easy to hand it back, maybe that's a possibility instead of wanting to pay for them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Perhaps bring a bag like I and others have for years. You really need a new bag every time?

Yes for new clothes I like a new bag. I bring shopper bags whenever I buy groceries or toys etc but for new clothes, a new bag please...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

I take only one when I need it, the point is they keep giving away two paper bags to everybody else...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

In a company I used to work for if a customer didn't want the paper bag, we would wrap the clothes in 1 sheet of tissue paper after folding and put it in their own shopping bag.

I hate the'bag for life '
    type bags you get in super markets, I made my own ones that can be put in the washing machine, much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I'd be in favour.
    I'm not an environmental terrorist, but still, I hate it when the retailers put everything in paper bags, from magazines to bottles of wine.
    I have two small fabric bags in my pockets at all time, one for grocery and one for books or clothes. They cost me 50cents each and I've had them for years.

I know they are biodegradable, but before they get reduced to mulch, you have to put up with dozens of them littering the streets. Then they start to break down and it's yuck for a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement